Favorite Ibanez Tremelo Unit - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Your favorite Ibanez Tremelo Unit...why?
Original Edge 23 41.82%
Lo-Pro Edge 27 49.09%
Edge Pro 5 9.09%
Edge Zero (and EZII) 6 10.91%
ZR 2 3.64%
TRS 0 0%
Lo-TRS 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Favorite Ibanez Tremelo Unit

I've listed these seven trems as they're the most widely accepted as dependable and stable performers. I've omitted trems such as the Lo-TRS II, the Edge Pro II, and Edge III because of their obvious stability problems.

Please reply in this thread which you voted for and more importantly....why you voted for it.

My vote is for the Lo-Pro for one simple reason. There are still intonation tools available for it.....no kidding. For me the Lo-Pro's impeccable reliability, tuning stability, availability of parts, and the availability of tools to work on it make it my #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Favorite Ibanez Tremelo Unit

I'm in the EZ camp…I was raised on Strats and I always set them up so that the strings didn't go flat when I bent a string (I like to bend the strings a lot) so playing a floating bridge was always a pain in the posterior for me because when I bent a string the others went wonky and I didn't like that. The first time I played an Edge Zero trem I was blown away because I could use the trem bar and stay in tune with locking system yet I could still bend strings without the other strings going all flat…it was like a revolution that I had been waiting for…I have 2 RG prestige guitars (RG2550mz & RG2570mz) with the EZ trem and I love that bridge. I know the OE and lo-pro get a lot of love around here but there are folks like me who enjoy the stability and stiffer feel of the EZ. I hope Ibanez continues to offer a variety of different bridges to suit the different preferences of all the folks who love to play Ibanez =)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I'm in the EZ camp…I was raised on Strats and I always set them up so that the strings didn't go flat when I bent a string (I like to bend the strings a lot) so playing a floating bridge was always a pain in the posterior for me because when I bent a string the others went wonky and I didn't like that. The first time I played an Edge Zero trem I was blown away because I could use the trem bar and stay in tune with locking system yet I could still bend strings without the other strings going all flat…it was like a revolution that I had been waiting for…I have 2 RG prestige guitars (RG2550mz & RG2570mz) with the EZ trem and I love that bridge. I know the OE and lo-pro get a lot of love around here but there are folks like me who enjoy the stability and stiffer feel of the EZ. I hope Ibanez continues to offer a variety of different bridges to suit the different preferences of all the folks who love to play Ibanez =)
I truly hope for the same man. How boring would the world be if we only had vanilla??

I think most ED/LP user's (myself included) have taught ourselves to bend to what we need for a double stop bend (term?). I don't think I've ever needed or tried to do a bend with an accompanying open note........ is that a thing? Your a VASTLY superior player to me- any tips or tricks you'd want to share with me??
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:45 AM
Vendor

I love vanilla.

Original Edge. It has the best feel.

BTW, The last batch of Lo Pro Cosmo trems now has the Licensed line removed from the mold like the current Edges do.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I love vanilla.

Original Edge. It has the best feel.

BTW, The last batch of Lo Pro Cosmo trems now has the Licensed line removed from the mold like the current Edges do.
I call BS...... you'll take it any way you can get it. vanilla- chocolate- rocky road or all of the above mixed together

I knew you were an Edge guy!! If I had access to an intonation tool I'd vote for the OE too.

BTW...... you can make more than one pick in this poll. If you cannot decide between two, pick both and explain what you like about both.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

WTH Rich?? click the button for your vote.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Vendor

Jeez, YES SIR!

Tools are for amateurs.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Jeez, YES SIR!

Tools are for amateurs.
LMAO.......
I love amateurs........ in video........covered in chocolate.....
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I truly hope for the same man. How boring would the world be if we only had vanilla??

I think most ED/LP user's (myself included) have taught ourselves to bend to what we need for a double stop bend (term?). I don't think I've ever needed or tried to do a bend with an accompanying open note.....
Yes more flavours than vanilla is nice ;o)

You never bend a note with an accompanying note? like a unison bend or a double-stop bend? I've always wondered how guys do unison bends and double stop bends with a floating bridge…even a high profile guy like Joe - I see him do unison bends (e.g. the Extremist) on his JS guitars which I thought were all equipped with OE type floating trems…I think Steve Vai has a thingy installed (forget what it's called - tremstopper maybe?) that lets him do doublestop and unison bends but I don't get how guys do bends like that with accompanying notes on floating bridges without sounding out of tune…maybe it's just that I don't have the technical ability to pull off stuff like that that on a floating trem…maybe a lack of experience on a OE type guitar or a lack of technical skills or both on my part ;o)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes more flavours than vanilla is nice ;o)

You never bend a note with an accompanying note? like a unison bend or a double-stop bend? I've always wondered how guys do unison bends and double stop bends with a floating bridge…even a high profile guy like Joe - I see him do unison bends (e.g. the Extremist) on his JS guitars which I thought were all equipped with OE type floating trems…I think Steve Vai has a thingy installed (forget what it's called - tremstopper maybe?) that lets him do doublestop and unison bends but I don't get how guys do bends like that with accompanying notes on floating bridges without sounding out of tune…maybe it's just that I don't have the technical ability to pull off stuff like that that on a floating trem…maybe a lack of experience on a OE type guitar or a lack of technical skills or both on my part ;o)
To nail down the terminology-
Double stop-Equally bending two adjacent strings on the same fret?
Unison bend- Equally bending two strings at different frets?

If my terminology is correct I do a lot of double stops. After so many years on OE's and LP's it's just second nature to make them ring in tune. I don't think I've ever even tried a unison bend.......I will now though
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
To nail down the terminology-
Double stop-Equally bending two adjacent strings on the same fret?
Unison bend- Equally bending two strings at different frets?

If my terminology is correct I do a lot of double stops. After so many years on OE's and LP's it's just second nature to make them ring in tune. I don't think I've ever even tried a unison bend.......I will now though
gotcha ;o) I think when I was thinking about double stop bends I was thinking about those country /rock type bends like at the beginning of Mama I'm coming home or the beginning of train kept a rolling where you fret the b string 15th fret and simultaneously play a note on the g string 14th fret and bend the g string up a full step but the b string isn't bent...note sure what the correct terminology is for that kind of bend...lol...but that was one of the first licks I ever learned and I still love that lick after all these years but playing that lick on a floating trem doesn't work very well...at least not for me ;o)

I have 3 Ibanez guitars with OE bridges (one of them I leave locked like a hard tail with a tremol-no) so I do like OE bridges too but I'm not an accomplished whammy bar guy (still don't know how to do those Satch squeals) so I know I'm not utilizing the OE to its fullest potential. I think for me the EZ is the perfect blend of a locking bridge with a stiffer more traditional feel - that in a nutshell is why I love the EZ bridges best =)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I voted for BOTH the original edge and the lo-pro.

As a whammy unit I prefer the original edge. The rest of the time, as a bridge, I like the lo-pro...
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
gotcha ;o) I think when I was thinking about double stop bends I was thinking about those country /rock type bends like at the beginning of Mama I'm coming home or the beginning of train kept a rolling where you fret the b string 15th fret and simultaneously play a note on the g string 14th fret and bend the g string up a full step but the b string isn't bent...note sure what the correct terminology is for that kind of bend...lol...but that was one of the first licks I ever learned and I still love that lick after all these years but playing that lick on a floating trem doesn't work very well...at least not for me ;o)

I have 3 Ibanez guitars with OE bridges (one of them I leave locked like a hard tail with a tremol-no) so I do like OE bridges too but I'm not an accomplished whammy bar guy (still don't know how to do those Satch squeals) so I know I'm not utilizing the OE to its fullest potential. I think for me the EZ is the perfect blend of a locking bridge with a stiffer more traditional feel - that in a nutshell is why I love the EZ bridges best =)
This is why having different bridges available is so important for all of us and Ibanez as a whole. We all have different styles and techniques of playing. For me, the "looser" feel of the OE and LP make playing much easier. Converse of you, I have almost no experience with the EZ. I have a couple of EZII's that I like a lot. Their "stiffness" makes for a very solid feeling experience. Assuming the EZII in my 3xxv is very similar in feel to an EZ, I can completely understand your affection for the EZ. The solid feel gives me more confidence in playing rhythm's and the faster legato runs that I'm so desperately trying to learn....LOL. There are times that my OE guitars feel too loose which causes me to lose confidence in the middle of playing.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I voted for BOTH the original edge and the lo-pro.

As a whammy unit I prefer the original edge. The rest of the time, as a bridge, I like the lo-pro...
This makes sense to me, but can to explain to others what the difference in feel is for you?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

amazing......183 Jemsiters don't care what trem they have.......LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode