Favorite Neck Profile??? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Neck?
Wizard 20 46.51%
Jem 12 27.91%
JPM 4 9.30%
PGM 1 2.33%
Baseball Bat 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Favorite Neck Profile???

I've been curious about this for awhile. Here the Wizard and Jem necks get a lot of love and other places like TGP they love baseball bats...

Lately I've been building my own necks and I've found that the JPM profile is my favorite so far, not too thin and not a baseball bat...

Here's the specs; there are variations, but these are close to average measurements:

1st 12th

Wizard 17mm 19mm

Jem 19mm 21mm

PGM 18mm 20mm

JPM 20mm 22mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Re: Favorite Neck Profile???

Even if I never did play it, I did vote JPM.
Seems it is a compromise between my SG neck and my strat one and I like both.
I have a wizard on my FGM, like it for some things but it lacks versatility IMO.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 AM

Reviews: 3

Wizard here; love the flat radius and the D shaped back of the neck. I wish I had a 7VWH with the ebony fretboard and the Wizard profile!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Original Wizard. Best neck profile........EVER!!!!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I'm putting together a fabric top RG with a Super wizard that measures 17mm @ 1st and 20mm @ 12th, and it feels real nice after playing my chunkier JPM profiled necks. Kind of like a vacation
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Sometimes I like blondes, sometimes I like redheads, sometimes I like brunettes...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM

I had to go with baseball bat... since Les Paul neck was not an option. For some reason I can play for a long time on that guitar, but the Wizard fatigues my fret hand. Maybe it's the long fingers?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I had to go with baseball bat... since Les Paul neck was not an option. For some reason I can play for a long time on that guitar, but the Wizard fatigues my fret hand. Maybe it's the long fingers?
HAHA... I used "baseball bat" because anything over JPM profile on this site is usually considered huge

Can't be long fingers... look at Steve Vai's fingers! A lot of people say the Wizard necks make their hands tired fast though....
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Original Wizard. Best neck profile........EVER!!!!
^^ This ^^
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Hey man, I recently found the same. I've always been a devoted Jem/UV player, but I bought a Gibson last month and, for some odd reason, the neck feels better in my hands than the Jem's. My fingers are not all that long, but they are very flexible (I play since I was 7 yo).

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on here.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Hey man, I recently found the same. I've always been a devoted Jem/UV player, but I bought a Gibson last month and, for some odd reason, the neck feels better in my hands than the Jem's. My fingers are not all that long, but they are very flexible (I play since I was 7 yo).

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on here.
My fiancee says he likes the bigger necks to "get a better grip".
I've notice too, even with my small hands, the more 'beefy' neck seems to make playing chords easier since I can get better leverage (hence; less fatigue) than on my thin RG necks.
I still like the thinner necks better, but I can see the appeal of a larger neck especially for rhythm playing. Not that you can't play lead, or fast, just look at the shredders that use Strats and Les Pauls.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this... I never said anything here, since this is an "Ibanez" devoted site and such talk would be sacrilegious!

It isn't my fingers that get tired/crampy, but more my thumb and the muscle between the thumb and pointer finger. Maybe the rounder back is easier to leverage on for fretting notes/chords, requiring less reinforcement by the thumb? Kind of depends on what I'm playing too.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this... I never said anything here, since this is an "Ibanez" devoted site and such talk would be sacrilegious!

It isn't my fingers that get tired/crampy, but more my thumb and the muscle between the thumb and pointer finger. Maybe the rounder back is easier to leverage on for fretting notes/chords, requiring less reinforcement by the thumb? Kind of depends on what I'm playing too.
I get pain in my thumb and my forearm.
I think it's because I have small hands.
You would think the thinner neck would be better, but I think because I have to 'pinch' my thumb and first finger closer together on the thinner neck is why I can't get as good a grip to press all the strings down easier.
The Strat has very low action, so I'm sure that makes a difference (I don't like how low the action is for tone) but I do notice a difference with the neck itself too.
Even my RG1550, with a slightly larger, rounder neck seems easier for chording. I still like the RG550 neck better, because the fretboard isn't quite as wide as the 1550.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
I get pain in my thumb and my forearm.
I think it's because I have small hands.
You would think the thinner neck would be better, but I think because I have to 'pinch' my thumb and first finger closer together on the thinner neck is why I can't get as good a grip to press all the strings down easier.
The Strat has very low action, so I'm sure that makes a difference (I don't like how low the action is for tone) but I do notice a difference with the neck itself too.
Even my RG1550, with a slightly larger, rounder neck seems easier for chording. I still like the RG550 neck better, because the fretboard isn't quite as wide as the 1550.
Strats, and Gibsons too, generally will have a rounder fretboard radius than an RG which makes fretting chords easier also...

Playing single note solo type stuff my hand never gets tired with a Wizard neck, but it will with a fatter neck with a smaller radius fretboard... the opposite is true for playing chords though IME...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM

My Artcore AS73 with fatter neck from 2006 than current 2014 one has a whopping 26.5 mm 12th fret measurement (1.04" inches). It took some time but I rather like this fat neck these days. Its first fret measurement isn't too big but overall it's still a baseball bat compared to most Ibanez necks from most models.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode