How fast can you shred? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: How fast can you play on average? (Groups of 6)
80 BPM/less 14 11.67%
100 BPM 8 6.67%
120 BPM 11 9.17%
140 BPM 20 16.67%
160 BPM 17 14.17%
Over 170 BPM (Holy snap!) 22 18.33%
It's not about speed, it's about soul man (AKA chicken out) 28 23.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
How fast can you shred?

Because having a forum that discusses a shred guitar company (more or less) is like having a bowling forum not having a poll asking for your average scores.

For some reason I've apparently been really hustling it recently, as right now I can comfortably alternate pick at roughly 120 bpm (all these are sextuplets), while a few weeks ago (or what felt like a few weeks ago) I was struggling for 100. I could probably go a little faster but this is without over straining myself. My sweeping speed is also around this area, though for rolling shapes I can go a lot faster but I prefer not to because I don't want start being sloppy. My legato playing is also at a similar speed, though if it's just hammer ons I can get more speed. It's like all my playing techniques are locked at the same speed. My tapping speed is roughly 160 bpm, maybe a little lower.

So overall I'd consider this pretty good and I feel pretty good about myself. A fair bit shy of Malmsteen's Blitzkrieg, but I'm getting there!

Now tell me all about yourself....

And no hammer on chromatics for calculating your speed, please! Only put down an answer that if someone asked you to play at that speed, you could cleanly/consistently do it!
Note that I used groups of 6 notes for these. To figure out/translate notes per second: Beats per minute / 60 X Notes per beat = notes per second. EG, 140 BPM sextuplets would be 14 notes per second, or (I think) 200 BPM 16th notes.

Last edited by Magical Muffin; 01-20-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Reviews: 23
Lightbulb Re: How fast can you shred?

I can only go as fast as 11nps for alternate picking, and about 13nps for sweep picking.

One thing that I have noticed when practicing for speed, your phrasing will suffer unless you also practice licks and stuff.

A friend of mine once told me this: "You can shred as fast as 30 notes per second, but if it didn't sound great (e.g. bad tone, phrasing, note choice, etc.) nobody would even take a second look (or listen) at you." You see, guitar playing isn't a sport, and while speed can be really cool for some, it isn't necessarily the end-all and be-all of great guitar technique.

I'm not an actual believer of soul per se, but I do believe that guitar playing should be able to excite a reaction from audience, not simply through raw speed and technique.

This was how I was drawn to guitar playing in the first place. I listened to a couple of players and felt moved by their playing somewhat (y'know the staples: Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen, etc.) and this feeling their playing gave me inspired me to pick up the instrument myself.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: How fast can you shred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
I can only go as fast as 11nps for alternate picking, and about 13nps for sweep picking.

One thing that I have noticed when practicing for speed, your phrasing will suffer unless you also practice licks and stuff.

A friend of mine once told me this: "You can shred as fast as 30 notes per second, but if it didn't sound great (e.g. bad tone, phrasing, note choice, etc.) nobody would even take a second look (or listen) at you." You see, guitar playing isn't a sport, and while speed can be really cool for some, it isn't necessarily the end-all and be-all of great guitar technique.
I have to agree, I was never really crazy about guitar until I heard a Satriani song about a year and a half ago. It was the first time I've heard someone play quickly, bust also had great phrasing, and whose songs always kept me interested.
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 AM

Reviews: 1

I was at 140 when I got RSI So Snap....
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM

32´@ 172bpm sweep picking
unfortunately thats (besides tapping) the only technique im quite comfortable with...
ive been trying to build up alternate picking speed over years, but it didnt work for me!
started from scratch 2 weeks ago with petrucci´s rock discipline, currently i reach about 128-136bpm cleanly at this 4notes per string thingy.

kind regards,
flo
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
I'd agree with this, when I'm playing normally I tend to not always play as fast as I can (unless I want to) and focus more on note choice, bending/ vibrato, and working in my speed as I go. If all you do is practice speed, of course you are neglecting a large part of your playing.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM

On youtube somewhere is some nutter playing Flight of the Bumblebee for the world record. Sheer proof that fast does not equal listenable!
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Reviews: 25

I can shredd so fast that it actually becomes a single note :P
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Reviews: 57
Thumbs up Re: How fast can you shred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I can shredd so fast that it actually becomes a single note :P

I hear ya, and cats show up for some reason.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Hah this thread/poll is going to be a fun read!
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspy View Post
I hear ya, and cats show up for some reason.
Playing guitar fast gets you p***y. We know this.
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 34

I think that I am somewhere in the 100-120 category for alternate picking. I prefer sweeping and hammer-ons etc etc.

As a lefty who plays right, I have always felt it was my picking that let me down.

Actually my fretting too, but mostly picking.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I almost always use economy picking but for alt picking the fastest I've ever gone is 32nd at 120 BPM. Of course that's with really, really simple fingering and a metronome.

For actually playing clean with a song and whatnot, I can do the 16 sextuplets at around 160ish.

Don't know for sweeping or tapping but I'm sure it's "acceptably" fast
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
Because having a forum that discusses a shred guitar company (more or less) is like having a bowling forum not having a poll asking for your average scores.
Bowling is a game and guitar playing is an art so your analogy is invalid.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Hah this thread/poll is going to be a fun read!

Last edited by toneboy; 01-22-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Tags
legato , picking , shred , speed , sweeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode