How Many People Mispronounce Ibanez? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce the name on the headstock of your guitar
I (like rolling EYEs) - Bun (like a warm BUN from the oven) - ez (like pr-EZ-ident) 23 60.53%
i (like Idiot) - BAN (like BANd practice) - ez (like prEZident) 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

How Many People Mispronounce Ibanez?

In the 1970's I served in the Navy with a Philapino named Pete (short for Pedrito) Ibanez. That's Ib (as in tr-IB-ute) an (as in ANd) ez (as in pr-EZ-ident and yes I know that's spelled wrong but Huk't On Fon-ix werkt fer me). Pronounced i-BAN-ez with the emphasis is on the second syllable. NOT Eye-BUN-ez. Ibanez.

The first time I ever saw an Ibanez guitar I pronounced the name correctly. The owner had a fit. "It's Japanese you (derogatory) not Mexican", he protested. So to tis day 40 years later I pronounce it EYE-BUN-EZ which would no doubt shock my old friend Pete Ibanez.

I got to thinking about that the other day so I looked it up and here's what it says on Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Ibanez brand name dates back to 1929 when Hoshino Gakki began importing Salvador Ibáñez guitars from Spain. When the "Salvador Ibáñez" workshop was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War, the "Ibanez Salvador" guitars were no longer available, so Hoshino Gakki bought the "Ibanez Salvador" brand name rights and started making Spanish acoustic guitars in 1935, at first using the "Ibanez Salvador" brand name, and then later using the "Ibanez" brand name.
Notice the phonetic spelling (Ibáñez) in that paragraph. So I was right and John was wrong. And since I'm too old to dream of "making it big as a rock star" any more I've decided to dedicate my life to getting people to pronounce the name Ibanez correctly. Hmmm... maybe not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: How Many People Mispronounce Ibanez?

I pronounce it EYE-BAH-NEZ. If people don't like it they can pound sand.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Reviews: 11

people in hispanic or latin countries might also pronounce it EE (like trEE) ban (like being banned) ez
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 PM

I always pronounce it Eye Ban Ez and most people do,,, but Salvador's last name would have been pronounced eye-BAHN-yez. the little squiggle over the n isn't on the headstock, so now its Eye Ban Ez.

word.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
but Salvador's last name would have been pronounced eye-BAHN-yez.
Tell that to Pete Ibanez, lol.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM

tooo late EYE BAN EZZ
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 AM

Tom-'ah'-to, Tom-'a'-to.

As long as it plays well and sounds and looks good

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Check out some of the Steve Vai videos on youtube, for example the Jemini distortion pedal demo.

The thing is you've got an American from New York, living in California pronouncing a once-spanish name of a Japanese company... but i'm playing a Steve Vai guitar, I might as well pronounce it the Steve Vai way...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How Many People Mispronounce Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Check out some of the Steve Vai videos on youtube, for example the Jemini distortion pedal demo.

The thing is you've got an American from New York, living in California pronouncing a once-spanish name of a Japanese company... but i'm playing a Steve Vai guitar, I might as well pronounce it the Steve Vai way...
It's EYE BUH NEZ! Simple as that, I managed music stores and attended several NAMM shows, and all of the Ibanez reps, execs, sales personnel, and dealers all pronounce it this way! It may have started out as a taco thing, but it's since been sushified by the white man!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 13

This is funny. I saw an article in an audio tech mag about the pronunciation of Neve (as in the consoles). I can't remember which way the author said was the correct way to say So now every time I speak about or refer to a Neve console I just refer to it as 'that console / they're cool etc' and point. I'm too scared to stuff it up now

We are all just snobs at heart.

-Wolfram
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
It's EYE BUH NEZ! Simple as that, I managed music stores and attended several NAMM shows, and all of the Ibanez reps, execs, sales personnel, and dealers all pronounce it this way! It may have started out as a taco thing, but it's since been sushified by the white man!
Salvador Ibanez is rolling in his grave.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:45 AM

EE ban ez. Always simplifying language when talking to someone from the US - then it's I bah neez. Huge generalisation, but for a country with so many languages all over the place, it's amazing how invert some can be when it comes to understanding others. The main thing is that everyone involved knows what the talk is about. Languages always change, you can't be right for long - come back to this thread in 100 years and have a laugh.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

The proper pronunciation of Salvador's last name would be ee-bahn-yez. That being said, the guitar company's name is pronounced eye-buh-nez.

Proper nouns are funny that way, a lot of pronunciation norms go out the window.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 2

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
i bet he mispronounces it.

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode