How many of us gig? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face How many of us gig?

Okay saw this question in another thread (props to Macka ) , and was intrigued myself, so how many of us gig and to what frequency?

I gig a lot seasonally doing mostly cover gigs, but every once in a while original gigs for $$ pop up...(very little gigging during Winter as my business keeps me hopping when it's colder)...

This year I'm looking to be gigging at least 4 times a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: How many of us gig?

i'm starting into it. i got in a little late last season, but i'm gonna be more aggressive with it this time around.

I only plan on like, once or twice a month tho lol
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm looking at my first gig in a fair while in April. Hopefully many more after that.

I'm really stoked with my new band. I think I've been writing the best stuff of my life. Awesome riffage, and we've got a great singer. I'm no shredder, but I'm quite happy with my solos, despite my crappy carpal tunnel.

Music is a combo of punk, metal and alt/hard rock. The people who have heard it so far have thought it was pretty cool and different.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM

I just had a show last night.
I gig almost once a month.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 4

I don't gig yet.But maybe a couple years when I'm 18,and have done more song writing.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 21

Once in a while. I used to play out a lot more years ago before I went back to school. Did the covers thing. It was fun but now I do my own music with maybe a few covers mixed in.
I also play without a band with my own bg music. I'd play with a band if they would deal with practice once or twice a month. Not to be all ego, but after playing 20 years I can learn material at home and be more than good to go on gig night. People here think that if you don't practice 2-3 nights a week you're not serious about "making it"! Even practicing 7 nights a week, you still have lottery odds of "making it". Might as well have fun and enjoy what you do.
We're expecting our fist child in a few months so gigging will be extremely sparse, if not non-existant, for the next few years or so.
Gigging, though, is the best part for me of the whole musical experience. There are very few things for me that compare with it. Recording is fine, but bringing your music to the people directly and getting that instant reaction; it's magic!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 AM

Reviews: 11

Last year (2010) I did 42 gigs, so that's nearly one every weekend. This month (Jan 2011) I've done 4 already so I look to be keeping up that quotient. This work I get in local pubs and it's a 3 piece cover band that I play guitar and sing in.

I also, on the side, record with another friend of mine and we made a CD in the middle of last year.

Have a listen here,

www.reverbnation.com/theartofwar

I think some of you may like it. I do all the vocals and some guitar..... though the guy I work with is utterly phenomenal on the axe so I let him take the reigns most of the time.

Peace!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How many of us gig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Last year (2010) I did 42 gigs, so that's nearly one every weekend. This month (Jan 2011) I've done 4 already so I look to be keeping up that quotient. This work I get in local pubs and it's a 3 piece cover band that I play guitar and sing in.

I also, on the side, record with another friend of mine and we made a CD in the middle of last year.

Have a listen here,

www.reverbnation.com/theartofwar

I think some of you may like it. I do all the vocals and some guitar..... though the guy I work with is utterly phenomenal on the axe so I let him take the reigns most of the time.

Peace!
Dude your stuff is awesome bro!

Love the sound, the songs, and everything...except the bass (not the player, just his choice of bass seems to not fit the look and style) but dayum you guys sound great!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM

+1

You guys rock Macka.. Cool songs and a real nice sound. Would embarrass plenty of acts I've seen recently. Nice one.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Reviews: 11

Actually, to be totally truthful, all the music you hear there is me and my friend (guitarist) doing everything on the CD. The drummer and bass player are gigging friends that stood in to do a film clip and live gigs when needed. In the studio though, that's just me and the guitarist creating it and it's so much easier, though the downfall is fake drums. We may do the real thing if the studio permits (it's actually a spare bedroom in the guitarists house. LOL.)

Thanks for the nice comments, crew.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM

Live drums does make a huge difference but are a nightmare to mic up in terms of the time at least. Good luck getting that done in the spare bedroom - although with some reasonable mics there's probably no reason it wouldn't work out. A mate and I have been experimenting in his studio he's built which is only a small wooden structure but sounding better and better as we get used to it.

Cool you have makes who can stand in live - never been a fan of backing tracks :-o
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Macka, that is cool as hell!!!! Great stuff. I'm getting that CD!!!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I'm playing in cover bands since 1994 cause in my country there's no room for instrumental music.
My band(same musicians) sometimes is Journey cover or Bon Jovi cover or Europe cover or Pink Floyd cover,depends on which one the owner of a pub wants,sometimes we play all of them together.HERE we have to play note for note cause people don't want to pay to hear people playing their idols on a wrong way so we have to play covers better than those bands which created those songs lol
We play 2,3 gigs every week and sometimes some private parties.
I played in U2 cover,Iron cover,SkidRow/Tyketto/Danger Danger cover(and so many other hair metal bands) but I never had long hair lol.
Here you have 3 options,or you play in cover bands,in teenage crap pop rock emo stuff or bossa nova.
Covers for me lol
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

I used to gig a lot with my band Palaver, but school and jobs got in the way so we ended the group. It was bittersweet, we released our album, got some nominations in the local/provincial music scene, and then had to give it all up. I'm finished school now and just looking to play on the weekends, either for fun or maybe in a cover band.

Check the band out at www.myspace.com/palaverband

"Waiting For" and "Forever Fiction" were the two singles we released.

**Just checked the page for the first time in years. If you want to listen to the songs, mute the video thats playing in one of the comments, frickin' spammers!

Last edited by Paul1983; 02-01-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: new info
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Talking Re: How many of us gig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnub3 View Post
I don't gig yet.But maybe a couple years when I'm 18,and have done more song writing.
I certainly do not want to sound like a "know-it-all" judgemental tool, so hopefully this reply doesn't sound over the top or that it is coming from a "superior" standpoint but,

#1 - Don't wait until you're 18 to gig. Start playing with other people, now. Then immediately thereafter, start playing live. Your chops will improve dramatically when forced to play with others, and even more so when you know that you have to do it in front of other people.

#2 - Don't wait until you have enough of your own material to play live. I simply cannot think of a single musician I have ever heard that was not in a cover band at some point in their life. Playing others music, and playing it well enough to deliver it in a live setting will also dramatically enhance your own writing and overall playing.

I was lucky enough to have played in some truely terrible cover bands, and some wonderfully magical ones as well.

I am blessed enough now that I can play live between 1 to 4 times a month, when it works for my schedule, and with a tremendous amount of creative freedom. And, as I stated in that other post (props to deadtunes), I get a chance to play a different guitar at almost every performance, so it is like having my own weird NGD every couple of weeks, as I practice on the guitar that I will be using for each new performance in the weeks leading up to the show, then switch soon thereafter for the next show.

#3 - Macka, your stuff really does rock. I remember your original post of this some time ago, and was truely impressed then. Even more so now.

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode