How many of you guys do your own set ups? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

How many of you guys do your own set ups?

I have always been alittle afraid of taking on the job on my 2570ez, I'm comfortable setting up my Strat and Tele, but I didn't want to get in over my head with the Edge Zero. Well, after reading the Tech section in Richs' Ibanez Rules site,( the Ibanez Bible )I took the plunge yesturday and my 2570 has never played better. How many of you do your own set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: How many of you guys do your own set ups?

With Rich's tech guide, there's very little that can't be sorted out

I set up my JEM10 on the computer desk yesterday, with Rich's tech guide open on the monitor

(I even adjuted the truss rod - righty tighty )
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 15

I didn't used to set them up myself but, once you realise there's no magic involved, it gets a lot less scary.

I stop short of trying to do any fretwork, though. That's still too scary.
post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Except frets, I do everything myself.

The most dificult operation I did was replacing posts on a ZR tremolo in my S320 guitar.

It was way easier than I thought it would be.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm a big advocate of learning how to do basic setups yourself. I've been doing my own since the first year I learned how to play guitar.

I asked my guitar teacher about setting my intonation and he said, "Better yet, I'll show you how." And it was all downhill from there.

The only thing I won't do is fret leveling, and that's only because I don't have the proper tools.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM

I also do everything except fretwork and find I'm getting on with it great. It's a really useful skill.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:00 PM

I'm too scared to attempt a setup on my RG20th. So far other than tuning I've just been playing it as is, out of the box.

The warnings on Rich's site about attempting intonation adjustment without the specific edge tool has partly scared me off.

I'll probably take it in to a local shop eventually, but I need to figure out the best place to go here in Edmonton.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
I'm too scared to attempt a setup on my RG20th. So far other than tuning I've just been playing it as is, out of the box.

The warnings on Rich's site about attempting intonation adjustment without the specific edge tool has partly scared me off.

I'll probably take it in to a local shop eventually, but I need to figure out the best place to go here in Edmonton.
You owe it to yourself to learn. Setting intonation isn't much harder than adjusting string height on a Strat. It's a little tricky on any Floyd Rose, but it's not impossible.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Vendor

There are no warnings about not using a tool, in fact I never use a tool.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are no warnings about not using a tool, in fact I never use a tool.
Quote:
"If you have the Edge intonation tool that's correct for your trem type this job will be much easier than if you don't. If you don't, look in the mirror and say goodbye to a few thousand hairs before you begin. If you have an Edge Pro [where there is no tool] say goodbye to your youthful appearance. [It's really not that bad!!]"
Perhaps I took you too literally then. :P
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Vendor

[It's really not that bad!!]

If you use a strobe the tool is far more pain that just slacking the string and moving the saddle. The EDGE tool is the only one you can still use the fine tuner, so getting the string perfectly in tune is much tougher with the tool than it is without and being able to use the fine tuner. You have to remember that page [and most others] were written years ago and may/don't reflect anything current
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 PM

All apart from fret dressing which I only had done to the old 7RB.

A local music local charged £30 to "setup" a Fender for my student. It was floating with huge action. All they did was tighten 2 screws to lock it down and didn't even change the saddles: 2 choked on bends and one buzzed lots. It didn't even follow the curve of the frets. Needless to say he got ripped off and they didn't even check the neck or intonation. Disgraceful these days. Best do everything yourself. Most of these places probably don't have insurance to cover for guitars they take in. A Jem7v RRP is now £2599 in U.K. but you'll never get yours back even if they had to replace it.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM

I always do my own setups. I've never figured why you'd pay somebody to setup your guitar to what they think is a good setup when you can do the setup yourself, for free, to how you like it.
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Doing set-ups myself for almost 25 years. Just did my 1st fret-leveling last week (scary until it was done, then pleasantly surprised that I didn't screw anything up LOL)
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM

If it wasn't for all the info Rich has posted in his website, I would've wasted a lot of money paying someone to set up my guitars. I'm not gonna pay $10+ for someone to mess with some screws, I mean, it's not rocket science, everybody can do it. Besides, I don't like the idea of someone touching my guitars

So ... Thx Rich!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode