How old were you when you first learned how to play the guitar? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: How old were you when you first learnt how to play the guitar?
10 or under. 33 15.42%
15 or under. 122 57.01%
20 or under. 46 21.50%
30 or under. 6 2.80%
Im over 30 and im just learning now. 7 3.27%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Re: How old were you when you first learned how to play the guitar?

Steve, I really dug opus 7, very very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 AM

I started at 13. Now I'm 35. At 33 I thought about having a 20th ann. custom made model ;-)
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Eco

Had messed on my dads since i was about 8, never got my own guitar or started learning a bit more seriously till i was about 12.

Im 20 now, well on the 11th
post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 AM

Started playing classical guitar at 6, got my first electric at 12...

Always tried to sound like myself. Almost 40 now

Regards,

JP
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM

12 and by the time I was 14 I could shred and all that fancy stuff, I just didn't have youtube to flaunt it

The thing is (and I've said this before) you can't say "Wow, he's good for his age" anymore (unless it's a fetus playing) because even near toddlers are ripping it up. I have no shame whatsoever when I say that a 14 year old could very well blow me off the stage, you just have to show respect for what they've accomplished.

At the same time, kids have things much easier now with all the technology available to them. I remember having to play £20 for the Appetite For Destruction tab book just so I could learn the beginning of Sweet Child O' Mine, where as nowadays a kid can jump on the net and have the tab instantly for free.
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Reviews: 1

I'm still learning...
post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM

I was 14.. played acoustic for almost 3 years, can't afford to buy electric guitar.. lol, now im 23.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Started playing classical guitar at 6, got my first electric at 12...

Always tried to sound like myself. Almost 40 now

Regards,

JP
Wow, I really admire that you learned the classical guitar at the age of 6. I love classical/flamenco guitar. I alternate between my classical and electric. I'll bet your phenomenal at playing guitar.
post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 PM

Reviews: 26

i got a fender American Stratocaster for my 12th bday and thats when i first started to play...its a good 11-12 yrs of playing and learning now...
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 PM

Cool Re: How old were you when you first learned how to play the guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_chick View Post
Wow, I really admire that you learned the classical guitar at the age of 6. I love classical/flamenco guitar. I alternate between my classical and electric. I'll bet your phenomenal at playing guitar.
Well, instead of betting, check it out for yourself. I've got some (old) stuff online at http://www.mediara.com/jeanpaul/music.htm

I have written some classical stuff years ago... Hmmm, maybe I'll record some of it in the future. By the way, the best guitar for technique practicing is a classical guitar imho...

Best regards,

JP
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 PM

i started classical guitar when i was about 9 or 10. played until 11, stopped for a year, played until 13, then started electric. i've only been playing electric for 6 months.... i'm 14 now, and i really think i've really starting learning the guitar well right now... so i count my starting age as 14
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 PM

I started at 13. I got a really crappy Harmony acoustic at 10, and I never learned anything. I found it in my closet, and I learned the basics on that. My dad noticed I was getting better, so he let me use his old Tele and his old Roland Cube. I bought my first electric, an Epiphone G-310, at 14, and put the Harmony in the basement, where it resides to this day. That crappy Harmony was the only piece of gear my parents have ever bought me. I'm about to buy a new guitar very soon, once I find a 550 or 570 on the Bay for a good price.
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 AM

ive been playing 13 years,when i first started all i wanted to play was covers and avoided theory,bad move,i cant improvise but i can play just about anything off tab,thats good enough for me cos i never wanted to write music anyways,guitar playing is for enjoyment playing covers is what i love to do,i aint the best guitarist in the world but i aint the worst either,enjoy""""
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM

I started playing at 13 after I heard Iron Maiden for the first time

I've been playing for 20 years now, and I still love guitars as much as I did when I started.

Rock on!
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 PM

14, Now I'm 17.

The reason I started playing was because I heard Iron Maiden's Killers, then Steve Vai's Alien Love Secrets in one sitting and that really got me into it. They were my sisters records.

Last edited by quiksilverdew; 08-18-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Tags
acoustic guitar , angelo batio , angus young , chord progression , chord progressions , electric guitar , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , heavy metal , iron maiden , joe satriani , les paul , michael angelo batio , paul gilbert , pink floyd , playing guitar , roland cube , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode