Ibanez Rg 550 vs 1570 vs 2550 or - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Rg 550 vs 1570 vs 2550 or

Hi, nice forum, I'm on the market for a Ibanez and I'm just wondering witch one would be the best for the money, I would probably upgrade pickups to evos anyway but in terms on wood, neck, tremolo, are they all the same?? which rg model do you recomend, also do you like maple or rosewood neck, is the old rg550 prestige?? and whats prestige anyway?/ too many questions?? now you have an idea how confuse I am. lolol any help will be appreciatte thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM

Re: Ibanez Rg 550 vs 1570 vs 2550 or

I would go for an old 80's/early 90's 550. Great instruments, and you should be able to find one for $300-$500 thats in good condition. Maple board, but thats just my preference
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM

Re: Ibanez Rg 550 vs 1570 vs 2550 or

Welcome.
The guitars you mention are all relatively similar.
550 has a pickguard
570(1570-what they call that model now...same goes for the others, Ibanez puts a 1 or 2 in front of the old #'s now) does not have a pickguard
2550-fancy inlays, upgrade pickups
They're all great guitars.
Older 570's for some reason tend to be priced a tad bit lower than 550's, so there's some real bargains out there.
If you like a really thin neck, the older ones are the way to go. Otherwise, if you want the 17mm at the first fret measurement neck like the older Japanese RG's, you are in $1000+ territory.
Prestige is the current reference for the Japanese (high end) guitars that Ibanez is building now.
The Ibanez website has all the specs on the guitars.
Oh and regarding the pickups...try the ones that come in your new guitar for a while. You may be pleasantly surprised. Most of the RG's you seem interested in are made of basswood. Evolutions come stock in the 7vwh which is alder. Evo's are awesome pickups but also reveal any flaw in your playing technique and are rather bright sounding. Some here on the forum may call me an oddball, but I've never had a major complaint with the V series pickups that come stock in a ton of the Ibanez guitars. The INF pickups in the cheaper imports on the other hand, are lacking in a lot of areas.
Hope this helps, although a lot of this is vague and will really boil down to your matter of preference. Try out some of the different prestige guitars offered today and seek out ways to try out an old 550 or 570 and see what feels and sounds best to you.

Tags
rg550 rg1570 rg2550 vs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode