Ibanez RGA420Z or Musicman JP6 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which guitar should I get?
Ibanez RGA420Z Prestiege 19 57.58%
Musicman John Petrucci 6 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RGA420Z or Musicman JP6

Im trying to buy a new guitar, but ive come to a point where I cant decide between these two guitars. Heres the specs:

http://www.music-man.com/instruments...-petrucci.html

OR

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGA420Z

I play alot of melodic black metal, and melodic death metal, but generally progressive. I have areas where I have clean guitar playing so I think the piezo pickup would be good, but the new pickup system in the ibanez looks good too?

Last edited by Winter Soul; 12-03-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez RGA420Z or Musicman JP6

I'll never buy a signature, just not my thing...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 11

yeah same as LordGrendel I don't like the idea of playing somebody else's guitar except the Jem and I think the Rga looks wicked!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Signature or not, the JP6 is a far better instrument. Sorry Ibanez, but you lose to EBMM any day. btw, I've been an Ibanez user since 1987. Since the end of the Golden era of mid 90's, Ibanez QC dept lack in providing quality instruments today. EBMM, is certainly a top quality company in every sense. Ibanez does occasionally go out of their way to provide top notch models or special limited runs, but they just no longer can compete with a company like Ernie Ball. No, I am not getting a free hat by EB for writing this..

I do have to say.. go get your paws on one each, and judge for yourself, which you like better and what suits your playing style the best. EBMM might not be for everyone, neither will Ibanez..
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Really?

EBMM's were getting SO BAD I quit selling them 5 years ago. I stop by the booth every year in LA to see if they've gotten any better, and they are the same crap they were 5 years ago.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 5

C'mon, this is a very biased verdict in any way. Despite everyones personal preferences in terms of body shaping and neck finish, I would assume that every serious guitarist will recognize EBMM guitars as well built, serious instruments. These guitars DO cost quite some money but they DO also deliver top notch quality. Period.

As for the choice between the JP and the RGA: I would highly recommend a A/B-comparison between those two. The neck profile of the JP is somewhat unique and will not fit everyone's taste.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Vendor

Sorry, unbiased period. If you haven't sold them then you haven't handled enough to have an opinion.
The EB's are as bad as the maple board RG1550's and 3550's in fret work [and started years before], far more prone to neck joint cracks, I rejected 2 of the last 10 for bad necks, one of them twice [that percentage sucks by any manufacturoing standard], and the cases are sloppy fit junk.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 13

I've always heard about EBMM quality, and how well built they are, and so on.
However this was some years ago, I must admit.
Rich knows this business, if he says EBMM is getting bad, I personally believe him.
But I'm really surprised, though.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Vendor

Just as maple board Ibanez "Prestige" have gotten really bad.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM

I'm kinda with Rich as well...

My shop was a EBMM dealer for years and we dropped them about 4 years ago for these same reasons. Also, as a former JP owner, and current RGA owner now (i just got mine a week or two ago), I can honestly say that the RGA is thoroughly awesome. I had the piezo on my EB JP and honestly, it just wasn't working for me. That and the Petrucci bridge. Not a knock on the bridge's quality, because it and the Schaller M6 tuners worked and stayed in tune great. But the feel of it was just not my deal when I was so used to the Edge style bridges. They just felt more solid and had more mass to me.

If I was voting, I'd snag the RGA from Rich man...just my .02
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sorry, unbiased period. If you haven't sold them then you haven't handled enough to have an opinion.
So, what you are saying is in order for somebody to have an opinion in this thread or here on Jemsite for that matter, we must sell/handle an X amount of merchandise?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Vendor

Any opinion based on limited knowledge is weak, and suspect.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 AM

I must be really lucky to own 2 awesome JP6 guitars built in 2006 and 2009. They're both as good if not better than a 2006 J Custom I had for a while. Haven't tried a BFR yet though.

However, the few JP6 guitars I checked in stores around 2008 were not fun to play.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM

I really dont know about any of these poor quality Ibanez peeps keep talking about, mine are world class and I wouldnt play anything else. Musicman guitars are clearly popular also, its down to personal choice, not what us 'fanboy's' think you should buy - you gotta play it ;O)

I couldnt care less if a guitar is signature or not, if I like an instrament I like it - go try them out and take home your favorite !
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Reviews: 5

Rich, you gotta be kidding me!!! I was working for Ibanez' German distributor some years ago (and btw. sent you the latest JEM FP2 pics) and have seen buckets of good and bad Ibanez guitars going in and out. Given that knowledge of fluctuating quality from Hoshino, and having played and posessed quite a nice amount of EBMM guitars from various years of manufacture, trust me if I say that EBMM does definitely not sell crappy guitars (at least not to Germany).

Tags
musicman ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode