Jemsite Guitar Challange December 2014 - Poll - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Who was your favorite? You can vote for more than one.
Craig_Shaft 5 55.56%
m t soule 3 33.33%
logicbdj 4 44.44%
Pirataz 1 11.11%
Razzle 4 44.44%
FireEagle 1 11.11%
Laobi 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challange December 2014 - Poll

Welcome everybody! Thanks for the turnout... Great to have some new participants this month.

In this thread you can vote for your favorite submission! Feel free to leave comments and feedback if you wish, but always be polite! You may select more than one, if you wish.

Once again, a big thanks to our participants!!! You guys are getting better each time!

You can join the current edition soon!

If I made any errors, please let me know!

This time's participation - 7
Record Participation - Nov-Dec/April-May 2013/14 - 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Jemsite Guitar Challange December 2014 - Poll

Great entries, everybody! Nice to see the participation

I have posted the january edition now, I hope you will enjoy it.

FireEagle, thank you so much for keeping this thing going.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I had a chance to re-listen to all the tracks... so I'll give a little feedback. Keep in mind I'm just a schmuck that likes guitars and music - not an educated musician in any way... lol...

Craig - Fantastic job! Great sound and killer playing too... that descending lick at 1:32 was an absolute MONSTER! Great work overall. btw - What model is that guitar?

mt - Very tasty as usual. Nice subtle touch and volume knob usage really fit the track.. as well as the tasty lead work. Absolutely love that guitar and the way it sounds.

logic - I thought yours was fantastic. Sounded great with that sustainer type device you used. Very well done... and the vocal part fit the track nicely too.

Pirataz - I thought yours was very solid and flowed nicely. Good sounding guitar too. Sort of what I had in mind for the last half of my entry, but I fell well short of making it sound good. Great entry!

Razzle - Loved your sound on this! Best sounding guitar throughout the track. Very aggressive for a slow and mellow track, but it worked very well!

Laobi - Loved the intro guitar sound at 0:30... very rich tone! Thought you blasted into the solo like a brick though a window, but the contrast was awesome when you came out of the faster runs of the "solo end" and dropped the tempo at 1:52. Nicely done!

Advice to myself - In hindsight I should have stuck with the clean tones and just forced myself to come up with something better, instead of just finishing it in an improvised rush... guess I just got frustrated. I like doing these challenges because they drag me out of my comfort zone, but when I listened to the other entries after finishing mine I realized that you guys are all light years ahead of me. Gets a little discouraging at times... not sure if I should just keep trying or maybe take a few months off and try to learn how to play a guitar... lol.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 PM

Razzle gets my vote for overall solid performance. Liking the Irish folk-vibe at the beginning.

Honorable mentions
Craig_Shaft: Nice guitar, and you've got your technique down well
FireEagle: Liking the balls it took to, at least start off, clean on a track like this

Note to self: Choose different patch next time; When I wanted to change pup I couldn't hear myself anymore, so had to go back to the neck : /
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 AM

LogicBDJ, I really dig those swells! I'm a sucker for ambiance, and you did a swell job!

Everyone sounds so great, so many of you do such great things on these monthlies. I'll work on my chops so I may one day put in an entry!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM

I think everyone did a great job! It's great to be able to hear the different interpretations. I think Craig and mt knocked it out this month!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Hi all! Great to hear all the entries - some really different takes on this track.

My vote went to Laobi, as I felt he made the track grow nicely. Starting out with the chilled improv, into a solo where he lets go in a Prince-esque kind of a way with the big bends and little flurries. The sneaky (out of key) Es that creep in near the end sparked my interest too - well placed.

Everyone's entry was well done. Razzle's was particularly well executed, with a lovely guitar tone and nice use of more than one guitar track. Another couple that stick in my memory are FireEagle's, due to the clean section which IMO had the best use of dynamics of any entry; and m t soule's, due to the wonderful swells.

@FireEagle - the guitar is a spot production J custom. The model is a JCS20146
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Wow, the participation and quality of this one was stellar, I feel a little ashamed that I spent my Xmas partying and threw in a very lame 2 take attempt. I'll go through them one by one.

Craig - Just amazing. Love the choice of notes, the controlled playing and that tapped run coming up to the build in the centre just blew me away, amazing playing and control.

MT Soule - Loved the work volume swells - really well executed. The playing was fantastic. How you managed not to be distracted by the person wrapping something is amazing although I did notice you give them an evil stare towards the end.

Logic - Great playing (kind of Zappaesque - an unpredictable choice of notes which I really like) also really liked the song and singing. A great touch and we've all been there with the sentiments except my song was usually "Happy for you - ecstatic for me - now come get the rest of your stuff".

Piratz - Great solid playing, what this track needed. I liked the honesty in the tone, there was nothing there to hide behind, you had to hit all the right notes and you did it masterfully.

Razzle - Another one that knocked me out. Great finger or hybrid picking at the start. The multi tracking also adds a dimension to the solo as it allows it to build. The trem control was amazing and the Slashesque playing are just fantastic during the fast sequence.

Fire - Love the tone and notes at the start, it was another direction I never even thought of and really adds to the track. Great playing throughout and as I said on Soundcloud, you looked at the big picture of the track rather than "ok here, this and there that". As a result you own the track, it's complete, a journey, so I really liked this.

In summing up, it makes voting very difficult, you all did something I'd be very pleased to listen to if it was on an album from one of my favourite guitar players. I'll vote when I've finally made up my mind. Really great to see you all taking part and thank you all for the opportunity to learn something from you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

Nice playing guys, what's the song?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Nice playing guys, what's the song?
It was this youtube backing track we used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crju3xnOkmo

This was the original guitar challenge post...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f25/je...ad-133680.html

It was an interesting one, for sure.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode