Jemsite Guitar Challenge February 2015 - Poll - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Who was your favorite? You can vote for more than one.
Craig_Shaft 2 22.22%
FireEagle 1 11.11%
Drew 5 55.56%
Pirataz 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challenge February 2015 - Poll

Welcome everybody!

In this thread you can vote for your favorite submission! Feel free to leave comments and feedback if you wish, but always be polite! You may select more than one, if you wish.

Once again, a big thanks to our participants!!! You guys are getting better each time!

You can join the current edition soon!

If I made any errors, please let me know!

This time's participation - 4 What? No love for the blues?
Record Participation - Nov-Dec/April-May 2013/14 - 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Re: Jemsite Guitar Challenge February 2015 - Poll

CS gets my vote this month too Not a fan of the tone this time around, but your phrasing and the progression you chose were excellent!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I thought you guys all did it justice... and Pirataz hammered that nice strat in a gool ol' traditional raw way. Nice job!! I just couldn't get that sound on the 540s... Ironically I just finished my "strat" style project guitar, but too late for this challenge where it would have fit.

Drew and Craig_Shaft... you guys both did fantastic and both had very unique entries. Interesting to see what you guys did over that "old standard" kind of progression. You can see both of your personal styles come through.

Tough call, but I gave Drew my vote this time for some little touches here and there that I really liked.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM

@Pirataz - Yeah, I didn't like my tone either... PodFarm2 sucks for clean tones. I'm gonna try and get a microphone and stuff so I can record my amp.

This must have been a harder track to do something interesting with, judging by the number of participants! Either that or everyone was busy :P

I like all the entries. Pirataz's well-suited Strat sound and play-style; and Drew's tone, great playing and gorgeous Suhr (much love to that fretboard). My vote goes to FireEagle this time, though, because I think his progress from one track to the next is incredible! It sounds as if you've put a lot of thought into your melodies, and how to shape the track in terms of varying your dynamics. I think of all entries yours consistently sounds the most GUITARISH if that makes any sense. A bit like how Vai's Alien Love Secrets sounds the most guitarish of his albums... all of your recordings seem to have that raw, honest sound.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:36 PM

Great job guys. I went with Drew on this one, partly because I was hypnotized by the Suhr.

I played over this track a bunch and had written some cool stuff but since the month was cut a bit short, I did not have a chance to record it. Just got my amp and don't have a microphone yet to record it.

I actually had 2 really cool takes, was actually recording one of them when I realized that I was playing on my unrecorded amp.

Look forward to hearing you all play again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 03:20 PM

Craig - the two things that impressed me the most about your entry (aside from that gorgeous guitar) were they way you did an excellent job mixing up different rhythmic groupings, and your use of double stops/full chords within the context of your solo. Neither of those is easy to do alone, and together the results are great. This is a really cool solo; you kind of did the same thing I did (play a blues solo, but try not to SOUND like you're playing a blues solo), but 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

FireEagle - you, on the other hand do the exact opposite - the opening of your solo is VERY authentic, right down to the ever-so-slightly-flat bends that somehow manage to still work. When you turn the gain up a little you lose a little bit of that, but when it then comes back down... Again, it doesn't sound at all like something I'd expect to hear at Jemsite. Very understated and tasteful.

Pirataz - you're not a Tom Waits fan by any chance, are you? 0:56 or could have come straight off Rain Dogs. Actually most of this could have come right off Rain Dogs. I don't know if many people would consider this a compliment, but I certainly do. I'm actually sort of sitting here with a grin on my face because none of this stuff you're doing - very percussive, angular, spastic licks that squeal and scream more than they sing - SHOULD work, yet it all absolutely does. Seriously, if you don't know that Tom Waits album, go buy it now, because you're going to dig the **** out of Marc Ribot's playing on that record.

Tough one - this is actually a really solid month for all parties involved, actually, as I think there's a credible argument to be made for why someone should vote for any single one of these. I'm going to go with Pirataz for two reasons - one, because for some reason he doesn't have a vote yet, and two, because I've never heard anyone else pull off that sort of angular, percussive vibe Ribot owns as well as you have here, and I couldn't do that at gunpoint.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Thanks for those kind words Drew. I had no idea who Tom Waits was before reading your comment and listening to a performance of his earlier this evening. Not a fan yet though...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:55 PM

You won't like the singing, but the guitar, maybe.

https://youtu.be/cvMy1xOh6cw
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 PM

Good stuff guys!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You won't like the singing, but the guitar, maybe.

https://youtu.be/cvMy1xOh6cw
Well that was interesting! I've always heard of Tom Waits, but never really heard his music. Not what I expected, definitely a unique style.

By the way... thanks for the encouraging words and feedback. Some days I just feel lost with a guitar in my hands, but hearing a great player like you talk about my submitted track like it is actual music makes me think that maybe there's hope for the future.

@Craig_Shaft... Thanks for the vote! Made my day.. or month! I think I know what you mean by "guitarish", but that may just my amateur attempts at recording guitar and playing something that I made up. Thanks for the compliments though... makes me want to get better.

This month will be a big challenge... the Vai style track is a strange progression to me. Very open to some degree, but what to fill it with?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:07 PM

Good job gents!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Well that was interesting! I've always heard of Tom Waits, but never really heard his music. Not what I expected, definitely a unique style.

By the way... thanks for the encouraging words and feedback. Some days I just feel lost with a guitar in my hands, but hearing a great player like you talk about my submitted track like it is actual music makes me think that maybe there's hope for the future.
Tom Waits is one of my favorite musicians. He's also incredibly multi-faceted - the vocals on this are very understated for Waits. He normally falls just shy of death metal growling, while playing coctail jazz.

And no worries, man - you really DID play a great entry here, I meant every word I said. Craig's right, you've grown a LOT since you've started doing these.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Tom Waits is one of my favorite musicians. He's also incredibly multi-faceted - the vocals on this are very understated for Waits. He normally falls just shy of death metal growling, while playing coctail jazz.

And no worries, man - you really DID play a great entry here, I meant every word I said. Craig's right, you've grown a LOT since you've started doing these.
I'll definitely have to check out more of his stuff. I like a lot of unusual music... Cake, Webb Wilder (if you like rockabilly, but who doesn't), Clutch, Dread Zeppelin, etc.

Thanks again for the encouraging words... it really means a lot to me. The only playing I do is at home by myself, since I don't really know any musicians where I live. The wife and kids are pretty much oblivious so the only feedback I get is an occasional vote or kind word on Jemsite!

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode