Jemsite Guitar Challenge March '15 Poll - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Who was your favorite? You can vote for more than one.
LMDAVE 0 0%
FireEagle 0 0%
ianblack8 1 33.33%
Craig_Shaft 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challenge March '15 Poll

Welcome everybody!

In this thread you can vote for your favorite submission! Feel free to leave comments and feedback if you wish, but always be polite! You may select more than one, if you wish.

Once again, a big thanks to our participants!!! You guys are getting better each time!

You can join the current edition soon!

If I made any errors, please let me know!

This time's participation - 4
Record Participation - Nov-Dec/April-May 2013/14 - 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Re: Jemsite Guitar Challenge March '15 Poll

Some great entries, guys!

LMDAVE - Very good job! Had that Vai feel to it bigtime.

ianblack8 - Loved the intro... and the rest too. Fantastic playing and your choice of effects really fit the track.

Craig_Shaft - I don't even know what to say about yours... you nailed the track. I haven't seen playing like that since I saw Satch in concert. Sometimes too much tapping gets old, but you kept it melodic and it all worked and sounded great. I have no idea how you can improvise at that speed, and make it look effortless. Had to give you my vote this month, really blew my mind on this one dude. Hurry up and get your cd done!

After watching the other entries, mine seems so lame... I almost deleted it, but what the heck. Its the best I can do on a single take improv. Shows how much I have to learn... lol.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 PM

I thought they all rocked in their own way!!!

Fire, I feel ya, I can't keep up with these guys so I just do what I can. Keep at it!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM

Guys, well played each and every one of
you. Really enjoyed listening to all the tracks.

Cheers to the JGCJams for listing them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM

I personally voted for Craig, and I'd also encourage everybody to listen to all his other works, it's fantastic!
I liked FireEagle entry a lot. It feels like you put much work in your development now, and on the right path. Makes me want to pickup guitar and practice as well. Tone, technique, everything is on the right way.
LMDAVE definetely did a good Vai impersonation, liked certain subtlties in his playing, and he was the first one to upload an entry I think?

Btw, my address on Soundcloud has changed, so I'll just put new link here, for history

https://soundcloud.com/ian_si/jemsite_jam1

Last edited by ianblack8; 04-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:41 PM

I'm a bit disappointed we haven't had many entries this time round, as the track seems like it should be almost every jemsiter's cup of tea! However, the entries submitted are all great and I was hard pressed to vote for one (but I felt I should stick to voting for one, given there are only 3 to choose from).

I think both LMDAVE and Ian's entries had a very Vai-esque flavour to them, which gets a big thumbs up from me, firstly because I love his style, and secondly because it's a hard style to explicitly draw from and still sound convincing. By that I mean, Vai's style is so unique to him, exaggerated in some of the idiosyncrasies, and almost comical/gimmicky in places that it's really hard to sound like him and still sound good. I think you guys pull it off, because you maintain enough of your own voice and you don't sound like you try hard to impersonate Vai.

Fireeagle's really impressed me simply because of how much he is improving and how much he is challenging himself by doing a one-take improvisation, despite his reservations about doing it. It doesn't sound rehearsed, because it isn't but that gives it a wonderful ruggedness and guitarishness that I think many of us can lose at times. (By guitarishness I don't mean that is good or bad, but consider how non-guitarish Michael Angelo Batio sounds and how very guitarish Vai sounds). Listening to Fireeagle's entry you can almost hear his brain ticking over as he puts forward his musical phrases, and I like the honest improvisation that results.

My vote went to Ian because I like his use of several guitar tones and effects in this longer track, which keeps it nice and varied. I also applaud how easy he makes his playing sound. He clearly makes sure he is very proficient at the techniques he uses, before committing them into his repertoire.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the vote, Craig! Although I definetely had second thoughts on my attempt since then, have to admit that it sounds kind of miserable, tone is poor, and the last part is simply bad. Not proud of. So much room for improvement, though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Thanks guys, I like all the tracks as well, very well done from everyone. This was my first entry to these contests, and that was a sloppy first or second take I did. I still need to learn how to use my recording software better. I look forward to trying the next fusion track when I find some time.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode