jemsite monthly guitar giveaway? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Guitar comp?
Yea 7 87.50%
Nay 1 12.50%
carrots 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
jemsite monthly guitar giveaway?

(quote from andrewsfury)...

How about jemsite makes a monthly (high end) guitar giveaway.

This is how it could work : everyone who enters pays $2.00 and when it reaches $1,500 the guitar will be raffled .

I'm sure you guys could get a guitar from rich or someone for less than that to cover guitar and still make extra for the site.

This would bring alot of attention to the site , and the vendor who supplies the guitars.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Re: jemsite monthly guitar giveaway?

It was a great idea when we did it a few years ago. If we did bring it back I wouldn't hold my breathe for a monthly drawing or $2 tickets though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 37

The tickets pay for the guitar and some money left over. about 600.00 left over , and it benefits everyone.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Vendor

It's been done several times, but there are legalities, and it was always an extreme amount of work for the organizers. Entry was always a $25 donation and always sold out in a month. But there's a reason it couldn't sustain itself, and that was the limited profit margin for the site vs. the amount of work that had to be put in.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Smile Re: jemsite monthly guitar giveaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's been done several times, but there are legalities, and it was always an extreme amount of work for the organizers. Entry was always a $25 donation and always sold out in a month. But there's a reason it couldn't sustain itself, and that was the limited profit margin for the site vs. the amount of work that had to be put in.
The good stuff is always bad , isnt it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd be all for it. Of course I also don't have any money to spend on tickets so I guess my vote doesn't really count. Haha. $2 seems like not nearly enough for a raffle ticket though.

I'm pretty sure elementary schools are charging more than that nowadays.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 130

I'd be willing to administer it for no profit or maybe I get something out of it after 24 raffles or something but I'd want to hear from the previous admins regarding some of the historical issues they had with doing something like this.

Cheers,

Race
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

it does not exactly have to be a 'high end' guitar. it could easily be like, an rg350. i'm embarrassed to say i'm GASsing for the maple one lol. and if it were only 15 bucks you would'nt need more then 27 to make a profit!

I know it would be "just a 350" or whatever but still - alot of folks would love to have one as a backup or a traveler!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
I'd be willing to administer it for no profit or maybe I get something out of it after 24 raffles or something but I'd want to hear from the previous admins regarding some of the historical issues they had with doing something like this.

Cheers,

Race

The previous administrators did it for no profit at all, regardless of the amount of raffles. Rich pretty much nailed it. I can't speak for the site or the other mods, but there are reasons it hasn't happened in a long time
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Reviews: 25

Maybe we can get some of the brands that are taking part in the reviewer program, to sponser it :P
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM

You can't use Paypal to gather up everyone's buy in fee - that's what makes it nearly impossible to do. If you had to wait for 250 people to mail in $10 checks and then get them cashed and the money forwarded to whomever is supplying the instrument, you'd want some one else to do it The last guy to run the show left the site almost immediately afterwards
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Why cant you use paypal to gather everyones fee. You are more then able to send money via paypal as a gift, so there are no fees invloved, and if there are paypal fees involved then that can be accounted for..

I still dont understand why people cant send funds to the one paypal account ?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM

what if anyone who wanted to buy a (jemsite project guitar) each 2 months could donate to a vendor to set up , and that vendor after the project was done would give it to a random contributer of that guitar.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Because Paypal doesn't allow it You can't raffle off something and collect the money via Paypal, simple as that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM

and how would paypal know the money comming in is for a raffle... it can be just one person sending money to another.. I know payal allows that...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode