• Mesa Stiletto

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Peavey JSX

Votes: 16 61.5%
8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  SimpleMind 
#1 ·
Which one would you prefer and why?

#5 ·
Hello and thank you all for the replies.
To Darin: I listened a lot to your video clips on You Tube: Excellent playing which really gives a good impression of the capabillities of the JSX. The JSX is a very tempting amp. As you know have i been on the verge of buying me an amp for some time ago but then this extremely tempting Ramirez Elite came in my way and i just couldn`t resist.
Would be interesting if you get the Andy Timmons tone from the JSX with the BB preamp.
But last but not least 99% is in the fingers.

#13 ·
Stiletto is not a bedroom volume amp, definitely, but then again neither is JSX. I'm not a big fan of Malmsteen, but Timmons is pretty easy. Just turn the volume up and he's right there. :lol: JSX will sound closer to Satch (duh). I've just modded my DS-1 to Keeley Ultra mod, so I'll be trying to get some Vai out of it tomorrow. I haven't yet tried SRV. There's strong EVH vibe in "spongy" mode.

I haven't bough the Stiletto because I wanted to sound like someone else, though. I bought it because it sounded good on its own.

#9 ·
I picked Stilleto because I'm a Mesa whore but it must be said that I was close to buying the JSX head when it came out in '05. Nice amp but different from the Stilleto like microdmitry stated.

I would think it would be a good choice to get a JSX over say a 6505 which is a closer category than comparing to a Mesa IMHO.

#12 ·
(as just posted on my JSX review thread)

Latest edition to my JSX clip library.

Here's 2 clips.

I just tried the POD in the loop of the JSX to add some effect and EQ possibilities. This clip you can hear me playing the same riff a few times turning the loop on and off. At the end is a little tappy thing with the loop on and off. Note how 'thick' the notes are at the end. Direct and solid state unites and typically not like that. Which is why we buy TUBE amps :) I still think the JSX is really what the Legacy should sound like. The Legacy has thick tone, but as most of you know, is unusably at bedroom levels.

http://www.christianbattleofthebands.com/pod_in_loop_of_jsx.mp3

This clip is the 3 channels without and with the BD-2. Keep in mind, my Ultra channel was modded for LESS gain.

http://www.christianbattleofthebands.com/jsx_bd2_demo.mp3

You will hear 'noise' on the clips, my house is 100 years old, the wiring is old, I'm sitting in front of my PC monitor with my mixer sitting on top of the JSX, all lending itself to 'noise'. The JSX isn't generally a noisy amp.

I've never played that particular Mesa amp. I have had the MK3 and was 'pretty happy' with it. Not enough to keep it though.

#17 ·
I do like the jsx better than the MK3. The jsx pretty much sound exactly the same at low levels and turned up. I do a clip of both here soon. I demod a Mesa Nomad with EQ and LOVED it. Demoed a Nomad combo without EQand hated it. I've also demoed a jsx combo at GC and didn't like it. if you demo the jsx, take your guitar and pedal board with you, and ask to take the amp into a back room or at least a corner. Also be sure to demo the fender super sonic. it will be my next amp purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.