Pimp'n out cheap guitars? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Pimp out cheap guitar?
Good idea! 73 64.60%
Bad Idea! 23 20.35%
I can see Russia from my house! 17 15.04%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Pimp'n out cheap guitars?

Who thinks its a good idea to sink 500 bucks in electronics into a 500 dollar guitar? I've done it twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Pimp'n out cheap guitars?

It really depends on the guitar. I've done it a few times, but only to cheap guitars that had "potential." if that cheap guitar has a decent neck, then it's a candidate. If the guitar has a crappy neck, then there is no point. I once found a cheap Les Paul copy on the Bay that was really decent. It was made by Manito, and had a mahogany neck and body. I replaced the cheap bridge and tailpiece, threw in some Zakk Wylde EMGs, and installed some Sperzel locking tuners. I compared it to my friend's Gibson Les Paul Standard, and it blew they real one away! I paid about $170 for the guitar, and spent another $300 on upgrades--a really good playing/sounding end result.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 4

i like the idea i only put in like 90$ into a guitar and made it way better so if your putting 200$ or 500$ i think its going to make great improvement in how the guitars sounds and plays
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Like AlaskaBat said, if the neck and body feel good and play/sound good, why not? You just buy your upgrade parts second hand where possible.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It really depends on the guitar. I've done it a few times, but only to cheap guitars that had "potential." if that cheap guitar has a decent neck, then it's a candidate. If the guitar has a crappy neck, then there is no point. I once found a cheap Les Paul copy on the Bay that was really decent. It was made by Manito, and had a mahogany neck and body. I replaced the cheap bridge and tailpiece, threw in some Zakk Wylde EMGs, and installed some Sperzel locking tuners. I compared it to my friend's Gibson Les Paul Standard, and it blew they real one away! I paid about $170 for the guitar, and spent another $300 on upgrades--a really good playing/sounding end result.
can you see russia from your house?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 AM

I think you need to start from a nice baseline for a guitar: nice neck,decent body,hopefully a nice trem to save money. Then yes by all means spend money on the thing and mod away. BUt if the guitar is too crappy or low grade you shouldnt waste the time or money on a lost cause piece and be all smiley.So start with something decent or something that plays exceptionally well but was cheap and mod from there. Everyone does there own thing anyway!!
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 18

I'm actually planning on doing that with my newly acquired washburn WG580. Used guitars are awesome.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 AM

It's a great idea if you're okay with the fact that you'll never make your money back when you sell the thing.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Reviews: 1

i think its a great idea if you like the way it plays but could improve on it. i just did it to a rg320dx (korea) i got for 75 buck, threw some dimarzios in it....... ill never sell it
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 4

I think, if its already an "ok" player. it can be transformed into something great!! Currently I am turning an RX60 into a poor mans AT100! I'm not even close to finished and its shaping up great!!!
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Funnily enough I have done exactly the same thing with a Les Paul copy by Maison, with the same results.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ne...ghlight=maison

The bottom line for me is the quality of the parts you can't change easily, and the gain you will get from adding new electronics. But yes, if it is a good axe to start with (RG5xx for example) I never hesitate to change things.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 3

A lot of cheap guitars just need some decent tuners to make them into decent mid range guitars.

I needed a Strat style guitar with all single coils, and the 90's Peavey Predator has an awesome neck. Pickups are OK, will probably replace them later, but the tuners are junk.

I found one in near new condition on **** for $100, about $50 to ship it.

$150 guitar
$50 tuners
$20 to have a shop rout out the holes to fit new tuners
$20 b/w/b pickguard (to replace cheapo 1 ply white pickguard)
$30 wilkinson vintage style bridge

The fret ends weren't finished that well, so I cleaned them up with a $10 set of diamond files I found at harbor freight.

My < $300 Peavey will beat the CRAP out of your squire or mexi strat.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 37

i pimp out old japan rgs all the time.
they are under 500.00 and can be as good as a jem.
my last guitar purchase was an 1987 rg550 black mint for 100.00 craigslistt.
i put a kill switch and am going to get neon dimarzio paf pro and tone zone.
and maybe swirl it.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM

What Andrew said...6 years ago or so I picked me up a 1990 RG550 beat up as hell for cheap ...proper setup and it played great so I pulled it apart sanded it down ..got a stainless steel 550 pickguard custom cut for it (they didnt have the fancy mirror ones on the Bay back then) and then stained it blue to try and resemble the Jem90th somewhat...well it looks more like it was carved out of and old boat instead but I like it, it looks way cooler than the tired old laser blue with black h/w ...its my personal Frankenstrat and just to have a guitar that has your own touch gives it tons more personality.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Reviews: 8

I've done it many times. I've even dropped $500 in a $200 guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode