Practicing on different guitars: Help or Hindrance? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Practicing with different types of guitars: Beneficial or Detrimental?
Beneficial! You'll be a better overall player! 18 66.67%
Detrimental! It'll take you longer to play well! 0 0%
It doesn't matter--a guitar's a guitar. 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Re: Practicing on different guitars: Help or Hindrance?

Study everything, play everything, music is a language. In the end you should be able to at least communicate your feelings or your take on any song , on any guitar, any time and anywhere. That is what i struggle with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Yes, it will make you a more rounded player in the long run. Everyone has different goals they want to achieve from their playing, but I have loads of guitars, and I always like trying new ones out.
I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
On the subject of broadening your horizons, you should learn a few pieces that people will know or want to hear.
That's assuming that someone cares what people want to hear. People play for different reasons. For me, that would be like trying to paint like Picasso because that's what people want to look at. Sorry, I'm not doing this for anyone else, and I doubt I'm alone. I'll create what I want. If someone happens to like it, great! If not, I don't care! This is also why I hesitate to call myself a musician...I don't think the connotations of that word match the reason I currently playing guitar.

Last edited by RedTiger; 02-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Not to be pedantic, but I don't think most people care to look at Picasso's work

I don't want to force myself to learn songs that you don't feel like learning. I don't even recognize virtually all the pop songs that you see people play because I don't listen to that stuff. I'm definitely not going to bother learning songs that I don't like.

That being said, I should probably learn Stairway to Heaven and the rest of Smoke on the Water.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

On that note I think it's a matter of remembering the context of the thread; which asks about whether practicing on different guitars makes you a better player.

Playing different guitars can encourage you to learn different styles, and learning diffferent styles does make you a better player.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Here's my on-topic response:

I don't think it makes you better, but it certainly provides you with insight into what type of guitar is easier to play, and that in turn might make you play better.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:34 PM

To further expand on Elcid's sentiment - We're supposed to be musicians who play the guitar.

Back on topic, to quote from the endlessly informative 'Creative Guitar 1' by Guthrie Govan -

"...you might want to invest in a cheap acoustic. The cheaper and more unplayable it is, the better, as playing a real dog of an instrument for two minutes can keep your fingertips in in shape as efficiently as playing your favorite shred machine for an hour"

If Guthrie says to do it, just do it.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Beneficial unless you plan on playing one guitar for the rest of your life. Even two of the same model don't play or feel the same, so I think it's beneficial to get a feel for various guitars.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 PM

i found once i played my ibanez and tryed going to any other of my guitars and felt grossed out... always reaching for my whammy bar or 24 fret, fat uncomfortable necks... ehhh
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 59

I learned to play guitar a long time ago with a borrowed nylon strung classical guitar, and I would recommend that approach to everyone. It more difficult in every way that playing a comfortable electric guitar but it teaches you the basics and it also to play clean.
Even now I often practice a lot on the acoustic to make sure I nail every tone. Once you plug in your wizard-whammy-monster to a chain of effects you loose some of that clarity and that is a false sense of security.

Tags
guitars , practicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode