Practicing on different guitars: Help or Hindrance? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Practicing with different types of guitars: Beneficial or Detrimental?
Beneficial! You'll be a better overall player! 18 66.67%
Detrimental! It'll take you longer to play well! 0 0%
It doesn't matter--a guitar's a guitar. 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 130
Practicing on different guitars: Help or Hindrance?

As someone who enjoys many styles of music and therefore has many different types of guitars (JEM, RG, Strats, Teles, B.C. Rich, Les Paul, 7-String, etc.) I've often wondered: Does it make you a better guitar player to practice on different guitars, or to stick to one guitar or model with identical specifications?

If you practice with a Les Paul today and a Strat tomorrow, are you better off, or worse off?

What do you think? Practicing with different type guitars: beneficial or detrimental?

Cheers,

Race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM

Re: Practicing on different guitars: Help or Hindrance?

Hmmmm.....I dont think it makes you a better or worse player, except for the fact that you may simply play better on the guitar you like better. I think it would help you adapt to new and different guitars faster though
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 AM

Reviews: 1

playing im my 12 sting acoustic always improves my hand strength and my playing in general.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 AM

My opinion is we are supposed to be guitar players. Not Ibanez players, Gibson players, Fender players or whatever. If you can't rock one as good as the other sell everything you own and leave guitar playing to the grown ups.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 AM

I'd actually say its a hindrance, but only extremely marginally. I would think this because your muscles would get more used to whatever shaped/scaled neck you are playing on, your picking hand gets used to the string bounce, and your ears will be more accustomed to what is coming out of the guitar. But in reality, I doubt it would have any appreciable difference.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

I think i's a matter or perspective. If you only ever want to be playing that one guitar then playing others is a hinderance. if you want to be able to "play guitar" then it's a help.

If you ever want to be known as a guitar player (and I mean in an extended circle of friends, not an international superstar) then you need to practice all sorts of songs on all sorts of guitars.

You can spend 8 hours a night shredding on your Jackanez solojem practicing sweep picked arpeggios in the key of X positive and learning every solo John Petrucci has committed to recorded media, but it won't be long before you're at someone's house, they pass you an acoustic and everybody says "play insert random, up to date, singer songwriter with basic guitar skills's new one" and everyone looks at you.

"I can only play MY guitar and I only play shred" isn't much of a reply.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Been there done that. I don't actually know any songs to play at parties cause all I do is practise solos and improvisation. :-)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 AM

ditto.

I don't see any reason to buy an acoustic/LP/piece of crap chinese-built cort knock-off/etc. just because I might come across one at someone else's place and they might ask me to show off my skills playing songs I don't even like. I will however play them something like the intro to Cemetary Gates, or similar acoustic stuff.

I won't play basketball in cowboy boots and I won't drive a car in slippers: the right tool for the right job.

If I want to make playing more difficult on the Jems I have, I will use the Paul Gilbert trick: play the guitar upside down/ left handed.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 AM

This is common among classical players-violin, cello, guitar,etc.

BUT- for rock it's very beneficial to play different guitars. First, it forces your mind to approach the instrument from a different perspective. Different neck and body shapes work your muscles in different ways.

Unless you are so advanced that you need the surgical precision and exact muscle-memory of a single guitar you should play lots of them and learn from each one.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I don't see any reason to buy an acoustic/LP/piece of crap chinese-built cort knock-off/etc. just because I might come across one at someone else's place and they might ask me to show off my skills playing songs I don't even like. I will however play them something like the intro to Cemetary Gates, or similar acoustic stuff.
and how many bars in do you get before they tell you to stop and ask for something they recognise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I won't play basketball in cowboy boots and I won't drive a car in slippers: the right tool for the right job.
It's more a case of being able to play basketball with everyone else, when you spend all your time practising football, or having to turn down giving your friends a ride in your car because you own a single seat track day special.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with spending all your time wanting to play like Paul Gilbert, but I think the most important thing Paul can teach anyone as a guitar player (and not as a shredder) is the importance of knowing songs. YMMV

Remember, Paul might only own Ibanez guitars, but he's got loads of different models from LP and flying v copies to acoustics to his "proper" PGMs.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Reviews: 25

Thats kind of saying that if your at a party and someone asks you to play for fun and you get up on stage, and there happens to be a 6 string of a brand or style of guitar you have never played before, that you wont be able to play it.. As long as there is 6 strings, you as a good guitarists will be able to quickly adapt to the size of the neck and just play.

otherwise, what does it matter if your playing in your own band then you will be fully prepared cause you will have your guitar and your equipment and everything will sound right.. cause its what you practise on...
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Thats kind of saying that if your at a party and someone asks you to play for fun and you get up on stage, and there happens to be a 6 string of a brand or style of guitar you have never played before, that you wont be able to play it.. As long as there is 6 strings, you as a good guitarists will be able to quickly adapt to the size of the neck and just play.
If you spend all your time practising melodic-death-emo-metal-core sweep arpeggios at the top of the neck on a beautifully set up J-Custom, you might have some issues playing open chord strum along pop songs on an old acoustic with strings the size of telephone cables and an action as high as the Empire State building.

Practising on your own guitar is fine for playing your own guitar, but if you want to play any guitar well, you've got to at least have experienced the differences between the diferent types.

It's a matter of knowing what you want to do, and preparing for it.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Can versatility ever be a bad thing?

Rock on!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Remember, Paul might only own Ibanez guitars, but he's got loads of different models from LP and flying v copies to acoustics to his "proper" PGMs.
...and the necks on those guitars are not all the same. For example, the Fireman does not have the traditional thin Wizard profile.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM

screw not being able to play some acoustic love song that's in the top 10 right now just cause people want me to, goddamit. i'll learn it if i like the goddamn song not cause i want to impress some 14 year old girl or something...

i find it beneficial to practice the same things i play on my electric (an RG) that i do on my acoustic (i'm mainly talking about alternate picking cause sweeping and legato don't work as well on acoustics...). it just gives a bit more perception to what you're practicing and lets you play it in a slightly different manner to kinda free you up from the lock you were in beforehand.

i can't play everything i can play on my RG on a les paul for example of a jazz hollowbody but that's due more to the shapes of different bridges, radius, slightly different string spacings etc. i don't think it doesn't make me a "guitar player" because i mean, i own my own damn guitar, i'm not gonna need to use someone else's les paul and if i do, well, i can pull off most things on it anyhow.

Tags
guitars , practicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode