Ibanez JEM Forum banner
13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AirGuitarHero 
#1 ·
Hi. I am getting new guitar, well i am saving money and i will buy it after a year. I was thinking of Jackson Soloist Sl2h and Ibanez JPM. Don't know yet which one but then i played old Ibanez RG 770DX candy apple red and maple board. I loved it! And now i am thinking of getting it. It looks and feels good to me and it looks like an old Jem. I was also thinking old maple board PAF Pro Jem. But ofcourse they cost little bit more.

But many people have modified their RG 550 to a Jem copy, and some people are saying it's almost as good as old Jem. So i started to think Rg 550. I have played RG 770DX and new Prestige RG 1550 flame top. How big difference is it between an old RG 550 and an old RG 770DX? Is RG 550 as good as RG 770DX? If i buy 550 or 770 i think i would put DiMarzio PAF Pro's to it.

Thank you all!

#3 ·
i'm prepared to be corrected, but i believe the differences between a 550 and a 770 of the same era will be mostly cosmetic... bound neck, inlays...

i think the 550 will have ibanez pickups as opposed to the made-for-ibanez dimarzios of the 770, but as you say you'll change these anyway that's no big deal.

550 is pickguard mounted pickups, whereas the 770 (while it does have a pickguard) has it's pickups mounted to the body.

there may be some degree of superior finishing on a 770, but after all these years i'd reckon they'd be pretty close to each other.

as i said, i'm ready to be proven wrong, but this is how i understand the differences.

#5 ·
I've got both an old 550 and a 760 and the 760 definitely wins over the 550. They both feel good, but the 760 came ready to go. The 550 needs the electronics changed, which is fine if you're planning on doing that anyway. But I still like the 760 because you don't have to do a thing to it to have a great guitar. I changed out the pickups eventually and put them in another guitar because they sound great (just not quite what I wanted).

#6 ·
damo7v said:
i'm prepared to be corrected, but i believe the differences between a 550 and a 770 of the same era will be mostly cosmetic... bound neck, inlays...

i think the 550 will have ibanez pickups as opposed to the made-for-ibanez dimarzios of the 770, but as you say you'll change these anyway that's no big deal.

550 is pickguard mounted pickups, whereas the 770 (while it does have a pickguard) has it's pickups mounted to the body.

there may be some degree of superior finishing on a 770, but after all these years i'd reckon they'd be pretty close to each other.

as i said, i'm ready to be proven wrong, but this is how i understand the differences.
RG770 doesn't have a pickguard :).

The RG770DX has a pickguard.

Regards

André

#7 ·
As you said damo7v the differences are mostly cosmetic and i will change the pickups anyway. Well i like sharktooth inlays but used RG 550 seem to be much cheaper nowdays usually than RG 770DX. I have read that RG 770DX was an high end guitar in the late 80's/early 90's. But i have also heard that even the cheaper Ibanez's had very good quality. I have heard so much good about RG 550, so it would also good choice.

#9 ·
It will depend on what price you can get for each. I've had a 770 since '92 and the thing is built like a tank. You can put it through the greatest indignities and will hold its own. I'm still using the same pots! It's a fantastic, solid guitar that needs no changes except the bridge pup, which sounds too thin.

If you're planning on swapping out the pups and electronics anyway, the 550 will save you a few bucks. Either way you can't go too wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.