Rosewood, Maple, or Ebony? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Rosewood, Maple, or Ebony
Rosewood 8 22.86%
Maple 14 40.00%
Ebony 13 37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Rosewood, Maple, or Ebony?

Seeing as how maple fretboards are making a comeback and ebony is easing into the the market a little at a time, I am wondering which is your preference and why. My new 1560 has made me a new fan of maple for it's much finer grain and slightly brighter tone and ebony seems to be getting more and more available. I had an ebony on a Michael Kelly, but the guitar had other issues that kept me from being able to evaluate the fretboard alone(tone-wise). What are your thoughts?

Last edited by RG Loyalist; 05-13-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: Rosewood, Maple, or Ebony?

Also since HDR showed us how to clean a maple board.....
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM

I like them all for different reasons but if I had to pick just one I guess it would be ebony. I like the way it looks and feels. Smoooooth.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 AM

I voted maple I love the brightness and the look and feel of a nice maple board. Ebony would be 2nd choice.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Maple or Pau Ferro I don't like to feel grain at all on a fretboard so not a fan of Rosewood. Never owned a guitar with Ebony so can't comment on that.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 11

ebony all the way.

pau ferro is also awesome! Its like rosewood, with none of the open grain patterns so it doesnt get dirty (just like ebony doesnt).

maple... depends on the guitar. Id prefer maple on an rg for some reason, dont know why...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM

I like the brown figured woods because they look coolest For hollow instruments ebony all the way.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Hmmm...I am the only one to pick Rosewood so far lol...I can't stand Maple fretboards, but maybe because the only ones I have played have been Fenders with a glossy finish on it. Maybe a satin finished one wouldn't be too bad...

Never played on an Ebony board...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Reviews: 4

as for looks it has to be maple,especially with pyramid inlays.for sound its ebony,ill never forget the 7vwh (ebony) i had man thats was easy the best guitar ive ever played,the tone was ultimate.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I like them all for different reasons but if I had to pick just one I guess it would be ebony. I like the way it looks and feels. Smoooooth.
+1. Another for ebony here.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

About lookings = Ebony (extremelly black) with white binding.I love it.Sometimes(very rare) I like a very bright pinky(salmon whatever)maple neck with white binding too.

About playing = I don't care which wood, plastic, metal, concrete lol they are made of, they all play the same way to me.The only thing that bothers me about playing is high action, I hate it, the higher action is the more out of tune fretted notes will sound cause when you fret a note you're bending it. I don't care If a neck is round or thin so I can play LPs or Jems the same way, I only care about action.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 AM

hmmmmm
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think it's all guitar specific. Sometimes a guitar has a certain character where all the woods match up. I have RGs with maple boards that are great, I have JSs wih rosewood boards that I love, I have a JS with a rosewood board that I'm not too keen on.

I have to say though, I've not found an ebony board I didn't like yet, nor a pau ferro one...
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 AM

I like m all.
Its just how you combine them with other woods.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think it's all guitar specific. Sometimes a guitar has a certain character where all the woods match up.
Very true!
I voted rosewood but maple was a very close second. I actually like the feel of rosewood grain under my fingers. I guess it's because I learned on rosewood and it feels the most comfortable. I too was initially put off by maple from trying Fenders and Squires back in the day that had clear coat on the board. It made them too slippery IMO but once I felt the more satin board I was very much liking maple. Ebony is ok but a little too smooth for my taste. I like how ebony looks though.
Yes, certain guitars I like better with rosewood and others with maple; the 1570 and the 550 being good examples respectively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode