scales important to you? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: are scales important to you ?
scales are immpotant to learn 30 76.92%
mixed 8 20.51%
i don't think scales are important 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
scales important to you?

im just curious to see if many players think learning scales are important i dont im more of marty friedman player i think lots of people get to caught up in learning scales and i just like to come up with patterns on my own now i know people might think i am an idiot but george lynch also say's that he can't show someone a scale if he had a "gun pointed at his head" again im just curious to see what most people think and if they can give a reason why learning scales is important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: scales important to you?

If you take a look at Marty's old "melodic control" tutorial DVD, you'll find that you're not quite as much a Marty Friedman player as you thought then
jono is online  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If you take a look at Marty's old "melodic control" tutorial DVD, you'll find that you're not quite as much a Marty Friedman player as you thought then
i have seen his one video where he does talk allot about scales but it was older than this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSaTAGsIBEI and if you can find a newer video of marty then i will just say that im more of a george lynch player
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Ah right, because of the CIA mindwipe that removed all his knowledge of scales and theory...
jono is online  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Ah right, because of the CIA mindwipe that removed all his knowledge of scales and theory...
not what im saying at all im saying he knows the scales but he thinks coming up patterns on his own is more important to his playing but that did make me lol
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 AM

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 AM

ol frank loved the scales!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Reviews: 8

Scales are a very important thing to learn, especially for playing lead. Learn all the modes.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnub3 View Post
im just curious to see if many players think learning scales are important i dont im more of marty friedman player i think lots of people get to caught up in learning scales and i just like to come up with patterns on my own now i know people might think i am an idiot but george lynch also say's that he can't show someone a scale if he had a "gun pointed at his head" again im just curious to see what most people think and if they can give a reason why learning scales is important
Scales aren't the most important thing to me. Full stops and other punctuation however, are far more important!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybass View Post
Scales are a very important thing to learn, especially for playing lead. Learn all the modes.

Pretty much what he said
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Why not learn them? them patterns that you 'make up' in one form or another derrive from *insert scale here* you just dont know it. If you learn them you would be able to make them patterns faster AND understand why and what to play them with...thats what i reckon anyway
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam3d View Post
Why not learn them? them patterns that you 'make up' in one form or another derrive from *insert scale here* you just dont know it. If you learn them you would be able to make them patterns faster AND understand why and what to play them with...thats what i reckon anyway
oh i know that paterns i come up with are from scales but when i learn a scale and i play it i feel like im just on a set track i know about modes and it still didn't help its hard for me to be creative when i learn a scale
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM

Reviews: 23

I think the point Marty's trying to make in the video is that learning scales should not be in a "standardized" kind of way, because it implies that certain scales work only on specific situations, limiting one's creativity. Additionally, learning scale patterns through ear rather than fretboard positions is better because it frees you from having to subconsciously "stay within the shape" of particular positions, and hence allows freer musical improvisations.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM

i think knowing my scales helps me hit my target notes, even if they are only good in certain situations. If i hear someone play a progression in A minor i know i can play amount of notes that are "safe".....whether or not im following a scale or not.

I think they help you learn why certain notes work in situations and why others dont, but to me they are more of guidelines than anything. Having said that there have been times where i have been stumped trying to improv a solo over something my other guitar player in my band writes and i look it up later and hes playing riffs in Bb harmonic minor LOL in that case following a scale works nicely (since i have never improved anything in such an odd key)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 11

I think knowing scales helps me be more creative because I know where to play and where I can play and I can make more patterns out of knowing those things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode