Smashing or setting fire to instruments on Stage - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Smashing or burning instruments at shows
Burn baby burn! It's fine with me! Where's that zippo fuel? 6 15.00%
It's so old now, doesn't really bother me 5 12.50%
Annoying, there are better uses for an instrument 10 25.00%
Very annoying, these things cost money 4 10.00%
Makes me want to set the musician on fire 15 37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Smashing or setting fire to instruments on Stage

Just curious how you all feel about this one. Here's my 2 cents.

I'm not sure who started it, but the earliest videos I have seen are of The Who. Then there was the famous footage Hendrix setting his Strat on fire. More recently in the 80s quite a few did it, most notably among axe masters YJM.

I cringe when I see it. To me it's something that someone has made with care and attention to detail (sometimes), for many it's not an inexpensive item, it's an instrument and sometimes even the cheapest ones play really well. Even if cheaper instruments are being substituted for the stunt would it not be better to sign it and throw it out to someone in the audience? Perhaps a kid who is saving for a guitar like the one his/her hero plays?

I just don't get it, every time I see it the 15 year old kid in me who was playing an dodgy Encore and saving all he could to buy a Les Paul wants to choke the guy doing it...

How do you feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Smashing or setting fire to instruments on Stage

It's stupid
even Hendrix couldn't get away with it in my book
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM

I've seen Vai smash a Jem. TBH, it was cool.

I also know a guy who bought an American Fender Strat (some expensive thing, think: new Japanese Ibanez Jem price), and took to it with a blow torch. It became the best looking strat I've ever seen in person.

But, if I ever saw someone destroy their primary instrument, the one they love, just for a show, I'd be a bit annoyed. To me, that shows a lack of respect. But if they have an instrument that they just want to destroy for the sake of a good show, then more power to them.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 PM

I have no issue with it, either. It's their guitar - whatever.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMechanic View Post
It's stupid
even Hendrix couldn't get away with it in my book
I grew up playing Hendrix records from when I was a little kid... loved his music and wanted to be just like him. My dad played his music in his various bands too. When I saw him burn that strat though, it changed the way I thought about him from that moment on. I would have given anything for that guitar!

Not a fan of guitar burning I guess. I shouldn't care... but I do for some reason.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM

That guitar, after being burnt, looks awesome though!!! It was given to Frank Zappa who fixed it up after a bit.

Here it is with Dweezil:
http://youtu.be/i2OtCllDjFc
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM

I used to be a huge fan of Kiss and even though I don't see myself smashing up guitars or spitting fake blood, those antics have been a part of the band and why people come to see them.

My guess is that before the whole experience that was Kiss was big they were of the mindset of doing "anything" to make it big so those things, their look, and Ace Frehley's smoke bomb guitar, and Peter Criss' levitating drumset were just gimmicks to get noticed so people could buy their records. Once many of us took a listen in the 1970s, we were hooked like some sort of cult. It still kind of bugs me and last week Paul smashed up another Ibanez Iceman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz95rpgOiDw#t=244

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
That guitar, after being burnt, looks awesome though!!! It was given to Frank Zappa who fixed it up after a bit.

Here it is with Dweezil:
http://youtu.be/i2OtCllDjFc
Thanks for posting that! Thats cool that it has lived on through Frank and Dweezil. Now I can finally let that moment go... I feel much better knowing that history was made and lives were enhanced...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM

I wonder how good I have to be to burn a guitar and have it then be worth many times what it would have had it stayed intact. A guitar proportedly used by Hendrix can only bring in so much money but one torched by him, like Monterey, becomes almost priceless to the right buyer.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 AM

When I was in Gunfighter 23 years ago, we covered Love Gun by KISS. Myself and the other guitarist would set our cheap guitars on fire with Zippo lighter fluid at the end of the song. The singer did the Gene Simmons fire breathing stunt, with the lighter fluid in his mouth. Amazing nobody was hurt, or any clubs burned. He did lose some skin inside his mouth for a while like burning it on hot food. Here's a picture of the Gretsch that I used, and my current line up. I'm currently working on restoring the Gretsch, probably because I feel bad about it's condition I created.

Would never think of torching these!

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

I know it's supposed to be cool, but to me it's disrespectful and sends the wrong message to the audience. These days kids need role models more than ever and this sort of thing isn't the way to go
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 AM

There was this video in YouTube if this guy burning a 777dy. It literally made me so mad.

I just have so much emotion for the guitar I guess. Each instrument had the potential to make music and become a "friend", and burning one in order to destroy it is like burning a child's potential. Smashing one is worse. Burning guitars for the sake of the finish or giving it character is cool, Steve did it to the for the love of god universe and I thought it was awesome and that it gave it such a new personality. Burning a guitar in order to use it is cool.

Smashing a guitar- get out. I've just doused you with lighter fluid and I've got a lighter balancing over your head on the neck the guitar you smashed . I hate it through and through. It's different if you're on stage and going crazy and your swinging it around and throwing it, but smashing it JUST to destroy it is horrible.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Not cool...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 AM

While I don't like the smashing of guitars, I used to "hate" to see non-playing collectors buy up the good stuff only to be taken off the market and be put into the lonely world of investments. Nothing seemed more disgusting or an affront to all things music. I had this visceral reaction against collectors when as a non-playing collector myself (or really sucky player) I actually started to play and focus on music, not instruments. It was at the end of my collecting days that I met and befriended many a player who were far better than me who had no gear or insufficient gear. I think the real eye opener was when I met a couple of famous guitar players who actually had so-so gear. These people could take a barn door and play a song with it better than most could with the best, most expensive gear. He or she played their so-so gear and lined their walls with gold and platinum records while I sat there just getting better gear than them. I would trade places with them in a second!

At a certain point I stopped getting certain expensive gear because it had a certain desirable logo or certain odd vintage lacquer and found that these things, vintage or not, can be used as tools to make beautiful music. There's a certain fun and scavenger hunting ethic that collectors have that make them far more likely to find the good stuff before a player does. I would get my collecting buddy (also a minimal player) and we would put thousands of miles on the car (pre-eBay) and get all the cool stuff we could find. Real players used to be astonished at what we had and it's their admiration of the gear we possessed that kept us going. At the end of the day I realized that I had a refined version of some hoarding disease. I basically took that passion and energy and redirected it to playing and lo and behold, a hack non-guitarist like me can actually play if I put my time and energy into it. I am still not as good as the monster players I met in my youth, but I am the best guitarist that I can be given what time I devote to it and that's as good as it gets. I don't even waste time hating the hoarding collectors anymore because even the energy that takes wastes my time. I have talked to a few nice folk here who admit they don't play much and like to collect anything and everything top of the line Ibanez, and I let them be and enjoy it.

It's my hope that the same muse that turned me around will find them. Maybe they can sell off much their large collection and build a small, soundproof Pro Tools studio, enlist a great guitar teacher for a year or two, or use that money to get an AA degree in music at the local community college. Gear may come and go and with the ease of eBay it just takes money, but once you reach a certain level of skill which actually involves serious effort, it's with you for your entire life. Yes, it's a lot easier to collect and not seriously improve as a player, but the sweat it goes into becoming the best player you can be is something that helps you realize that you did something truly worthwhile.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-28-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
While I don't like the smashing of guitars, I used to "hate" to see non-playing collectors buy up the good stuff only to be taken off the market and be put into the lonely world of investments. Nothing seemed more disgusting or an affront to all things music. I had this visceral reaction against collectors when as a non-playing collector myself (or really sucky player) I actually started to play and focus on music, not instruments. It was at the end of my collecting days that I met and befriended many a player who were far better than me who had no gear or insufficient gear. I think the real eye opener was when I met a couple of famous guitar players who actually had so-so gear. These people could take a barn door and play a song with it better than most could with the best, most expensive gear. He or she played their so-so gear and lined their walls with gold and platinum records while I sat there just getting better gear than them. I would trade places with them in a second!

At a certain point I stopped getting certain expensive gear because it had a certain desirable logo or certain odd vintage lacquer and found that these things, vintage or not, can be used as tools to make beautiful music. There's a certain fun and scavenger hunting ethic that collectors have that make them far more likely to find the good stuff before a player does. I would get my collecting buddy (also a minimal player) and we would put thousands of miles on the car (pre-eBay) and get all the cool stuff we could find. Real players used to be astonished at what we had and it's their admiration of the gear we possessed that kept us going. At the end of the day I realized that I had a refined version of some hoarding disease. I basically took that passion and energy and redirected it to playing and lo and behold, a hack non-guitarist like me can actually play if I put my time and energy into it. I am still not as good as the monster players I met in my youth, but I am the best guitarist that I can be given what time I devote to it and that's as good as it gets. I don't even waste time hating the hoarding collectors anymore because even the energy that takes wastes my time. I have talked to a few nice folk here who admit they don't play much and like to collect anything and everything top of the line Ibanez, and I let them be and enjoy it.

It's my hope that the same muse that turned me around will find them. Maybe they can sell off much their large collection and build a small, soundproof Pro Tools studio, enlist a great guitar teacher for a year or two, or use that money to get an AA degree in music at the local community college. Gear may come and go and with the ease of eBay it just takes money, but once you reach a certain level of skill which actually involves serious effort, it's with you for your entire life. Yes, it's a lot easier to collect and not seriously improve as a player, but the sweat it goes into becoming the best player you can be is something that helps you realize that you did something truly worthwhile.
Did these collectors set anything on fire? If not, you might be posting in the wrong thread...

Tags
burning guitar , instrument , smashing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode