Strat vs Les Paul. - Page 5 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather buy?
Strat 74 64.35%
Les Paul 41 35.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 AM

Re: Strat vs Les Paul.

Tough question... I much prefer 2 humbuckers (especially with a coil-split option) to single coils, but I simply cannot stress how much I HATE Gibson necks. Always feels like I'm trying to play a baseball bat! Too bad, because I was always kind of partial to the look and sound of a Les Paul, but I like the playability of the Strat!

My solid body guitars are Strat copies: RG3WXFM1 (H-H) and a Westone Spectrum LX (H-S-H) and I love them both.

If I had to be marooned on a desert island with just a Strat and a Les Paul, I'd learn to play the harmonica!

Actually, let me amend that... on a desert island I wouldn't have an amp, or if I did there'd be no electricity to run it, so pickups wouldn't matter. I'll take a Strat, please!

Last edited by BriGuy1968; 03-14-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: realized that I really should pick one or the other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Very difficult indeed since they are both killer guitars.
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:07 PM

This is a very tough decision! And honestly, it resolves into Ibanez RG or most superstrats, really... I mean, you get everything - humbuckers, single-coil, whammy bar, neck accesibility.
If I have to choose an "iconic rock'n'roll guitar" - I'd go with Les Paul. Look - definetely Les Paul (well, with maple arch-top, to be precise). I have 2 LP's and barely use them, but they're just lovely to look at. Sound... well, LP too. edit: also, fixed bridge. Cool to play bends and other notes along with it, without going flat on other strings... not everybody needs tremolo, right?
Strat gets a whammy bar (at least some version of it... probably out-of-tune'y) and better accesibility from me. Also, it has a different, not worse by any stretch of the imagination, but sound for some other applications, definetely. So I'd vote for LP, but it's not really fair for the Strat side.
Now, the question is about which one "to buy", so I would recommend to buy a Strat, kind of illogically. If a person will be able to put a bridge humbucker in there at some point, he'll get most of it...

Last edited by ianblack8; 04-15-2015 at 12:15 PM.
post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM

I have a Paul and a Strat and I think you need both. Every guitarist, in my opinion, should have a Paul, Strat and a Telecaster. Once you got those, an Ibanez 7 String is another nice tool to have in the arsenal.
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Neither
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Strat is way more comfortable to play. The new 2015 Gibson les paul line feels like something you'd find at toys r us
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm in the 'Both' camp as they give different sounds. I'm a huge fan of Gary Moore and he played both. Dave Murray of Iron Maiden is a strat fan and I like trying to play their stuff. Slash is a Les Paul fanatic and I love trying to play his stuff, especially Halo and Anastastia. Lynyrd Skynrd Simple Man and Tuesday's Gone are another two of my favorite tracks. But, then there is Satch and Steve who are both Ibanez fans.

But, between the two, if push comes to shove, it would have to be the Les Paul just for the fact that I try and play more music that the Les Paul is used for, Gary Moore, Slash, Lynyrd Skynrd etc.
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
I have a Paul and a Strat and I think you need both. Every guitarist, in my opinion, should have a Paul, Strat and a Telecaster. Once you got those, an Ibanez 7 String is another nice tool to have in the arsenal.
Nope, nope nope. you don't NEED a Strat or les paul, especially today with gibson's TERRIBLE quality control. I wouldn't touch a gibson ever. I like super strats and they can do more than any fender strat can tonally with a coil tap.
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitre View Post
Neither
Same here...
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 AM

2 classics. If the choice is between standard models, I would go for the Les Paul. Although, if the different signature, special edition, limited run models were included in the poll......
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Nope, nope nope. you don't NEED a Strat or les paul, especially today with gibson's TERRIBLE quality control. I wouldn't touch a gibson ever. I like super strats and they can do more than any fender strat can tonally with a coil tap.
You can't do those fat/dark jazzy tones with (super)strats. I am not saying anything about Gibson in particular, I just say that a mahogany LesPaul-shaped guitar is the standard way to have those tones.
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
You can't do those fat/dark jazzy tones with (super)strats.
Wait, wait... You can't, or you can't?
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Wait, wait... You can't, or you can't?
if it was *that* easy, nobody would make mahogany single cutaway guitars. There is a reason people still make them. It might be Ibanez ARZ/ART or LTD or Gibson or some other maker, it does not matter, as long as :
- single cutaway
- 24.75" - 25" scale
- mahogany
- maple top
- HH configuration
are there.

I might be missing smth, but from all my 5 axes the only one which truly nails those fat dark jazzy bluesy tones is the ARZ800.

Now, back to the debate. A strat has this advantage : it does not break in the headstock if dropped down!
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
Tough question... I much prefer 2 humbuckers (especially with a coil-split option) to single coils, but I simply cannot stress how much I HATE Gibson necks. Always feels like I'm trying to play a baseball bat! Too bad, because I was always kind of partial to the look and sound of a Les Paul, but I like the playability of the Strat!

My solid body guitars are Strat copies: RG3WXFM1 (H-H) and a Westone Spectrum LX (H-S-H) and I love them both.

If I had to be marooned on a desert island with just a Strat and a Les Paul, I'd learn to play the harmonica!

Actually, let me amend that... on a desert island I wouldn't have an amp, or if I did there'd be no electricity to run it, so pickups wouldn't matter. I'll take a Strat, please!
When you are thinking big Gibson neck it's a 50s neck you refer to which has been more popular of late.

But give a slim taper 1960 neck a try. And for even more speed a Gibson model in matte finish with this neck is a totally different animal than 59 burst and big neck.
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Strat

Tags
les paul strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode