Tubes or transistors? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Tubes 108 81.20%
Transistors 10 7.52%
I have no preferance 15 11.28%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Tubes or transistors?

To add another log to the fire.........

My uncle has a vintage twin reverb from the 70's and he's still using the original tubes. I borrowed that amp back in high school and that thing was a beast. I have also talked to other folks whom have done the same and basically kept on using their amp until the tubes needed replacement. Some people will argue that it gives the amp a more vintage sound. Personally, I have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", mentality.

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
Really? Well, the mini colossal has only a tone knob. Contrary to a Marshall, which has treble/middle/bass controls, so I'll go with that.

I'm very excited about starting to record!

Alwin
I have a mini collosal and I really can't get on with it! Nothing like the tone from the JSX head and not a patch on the tone I get from my 6-9w Cornford Carrera It's one of those " why the **** did I buy this piece of ****e" situations!
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

That's too bad, man. You should try selling it here on jemsite. There's bound to be plenty of people who'd be interested.

Alwin
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM

I will end up selling it. I'll probably list it here first and when no-one buys it, I'll stick it on fleabay
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
To add another log to the fire.........

My uncle has a vintage twin reverb from the 70's and he's still using the original tubes. I borrowed that amp back in high school and that thing was a beast. I have also talked to other folks whom have done the same and basically kept on using their amp until the tubes needed replacement. Some people will argue that it gives the amp a more vintage sound. Personally, I have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", mentality.

Jimmy
Well, there might be a difference, for sure. Sounds interesting.. I'm not really looking for a vintage sound, myself. I've heard that Lenny Kravitz would be into a thing like that, though.

Btw, is it also so that no two identical tubes sound the same, the same way two identical Strats will sound different?

Alwin
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, that's like two totally different answers.

But they don't last forever, in any case. Ok, then.

Alwin
oh no i know in some cases they waste pretty fast and hard
i have a stromberg and carlsen signet22 and its like made in the early 30's i think and it has the origional tubes in it...but my digitech preamp and poweramp pre tubes go in a couple years at full drive usually
my fender bassman like never needs tubes, i just switch them out to tailor the sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I found that the sound of a solid state amp, when compared to a tube amp, was lifeless, digital, and lacked definition. Tube amps have a certain "personality" to them that allows them to bring out the sound of an instrument to life.

Jimmy
another thing tubes have that ss doesnt is what refered to as aural excitement that related to the materials used...and that directly relates to tonal charachteristics at lower/higher volumes. that includes transient peaks wich inherently(when occur) color the sound in a positive way(that warmth you get)

this way with ss, you just need a really good signal processor to simulate all these variables, etc..with the tonal dynamics since they do go through a ss eviroment...ther are little to no aural dynamics.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 AM

My Line6 Vetta 2 is all transistors and sounds very good. I can also pull up any sound at anytime. Tubes are really a lost caused anymore.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:44 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman2u View Post
My Line6 Vetta 2 is all transistors and sounds very good. I can also pull up any sound at anytime. Tubes are really a lost caused anymore.
Play a tube amp and come back to us...
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman2u View Post
Tubes are really a lost caused anymore.
Sorry LOLOLOLOL!!!! Ok Sorry again, I think you really need to try a real tube amp then I think you'll reedit your post
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tubes or transistors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'd be suprised if more than one or 2 people vote for solid state.
Well, thank God more than 2 people voted for solid state. Tubes are overrated IMO.

I like an amp that when on 2 sounds the same as 9. Tubes are not consistent sounding, gotta drive them, warm them up, bias them, change them, get different sounds from different manufacturers, soviet tubes, there's power, theres standby like piloting an airplane, gotta play on 11 to get the good tone, sometimes all you want to do is just plug in and play, gotta jerk around for an hour warming her up just to play a c power chord, by the time you're done getting her ready with all the tube foreplay, you don't even want to play anymore. Stupid Tubes!!!

Kind of like a woman if you have to spend an hour getting her ready, do you even want it? Me and my wife? On your marks, get set, go...Done!!! Dude we got sh!t to do...
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Sorry LOLOLOLOL!!!! Ok Sorry again, I think you really need to try a real tube amp then I think you'll reedit your post
I'm actually gonna agree with the guy.

Of course nobody here is really wrong for prefering which ever kind of amp they prefer, but I feel I should say a thing or two about SS amps, as they almost always get such a bad reputation with guitarists.

Thanks to digital modeling, nothing about the sound of an all tube amp can't be mimicked by an SS amp, and when I say "mimicked" I mean to the point where in a double blind test you can't tell the difference.

That being said, if your goal is to get an SS amp that mimicks a tube amp to that degree, the modern SS guitar amp market kinda sucks, thus I believe those of you who prefer tube tone are very much justified in sticking with tube amps. However, there are models that do it very well. And for the price, plus all the other features and flexibility you get, SS is a much better bang for the buck to many of us. Two of my ex-teachers sold all their tube equipment and replaced it with Line 6 stuff, and they both perform live fairly often.

I personally stick to SS for two reasons.

One, because when it comes to playing rock and metal, I just don't care enough about traditional distorted guitar tones. I'd rather buy something by Line 6, which gets the job done very well and economically, than to shell out thousands on an amp and couple of cabs for a tone that I don't really care that much about.

Two, I mostly play clean and with weird experimental sounds, including all those "bad" sounding SS distortions and sound effects. I love SS tone.
post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I like an amp that when on 2 sounds the same as 9. Tubes are not consistent sounding, gotta drive them, warm them up, bias them, change them, get different sounds from different manufacturers, soviet tubes, there's power, theres standby like piloting an airplane, gotta play on 11 to get the good tone, sometimes all you want to do is just plug in and play, gotta jerk around for an hour warming her up just to play a c power chord, by the time you're done getting her ready with all the tube foreplay, you don't even want to play anymore. Stupid Tubes!!!
Interesting.. I never knew it takes time for tubes to warm up.

Anyway, I'm going to a guitar store soon. I'm going to check a couple of things out. I'll see if I can take some photographs when I'm out there. That should be cool.

Alwin
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Interesting.. I never knew it takes time for tubes to warm up....
Alwin, since you do not know much about tube amplifiers yet, I would HIGHLY suggest doing some real research on your own prior to buying, and not pay less attention to the whole SS vs tube rant that goes on here.

I have owned many types of amps over the years, running the gamut of what I could afford, to exactly what I wanted. SS, modeling, hybrid, and tube.

If you are not going to be playing out, and just recording, I would suggest really considering your application.

Are the recordings demos, or full fledge productions? Is the guitar the main primary instrument, i.e. Vai, Satch, etc, or one part of a band, insert rock band here, or a backing instrument ie. Brittney Spears? All these things should be taken into consideration, as the importance of your tone changes in each application

Secondly, do you have a decent mic set up? If not, a modeling pre amp might be the way to go. You can record whenever you want, and get decent tones down w/o bothering anyone

Price. I do not know if this is important in your situation or not. However, once again depending on your application, a expensive tube amp might just be overkill for what you might want to do.

Some pros/cons

Tube pros:

Tone (subjective I agree)
volume
responsive to ones playing
serviceable. If the fuse fails to protect the amp often the first thing to go will be a tube, which is replaceable.

Tube Cons:
Price for amp
Tube price
Up keep. Some tube amps have to be rebiased everytime you change the tubes
Working on them can be dangerous if you do not know what your are doing. They have the ability to hold a lethal electrical charge long after they have been unplugged
Many are one trick ponies. (Have a great dist. but horrible clean, etc)
You have to be somewhat kind when transporting them

SS Pros
Price
ease of set up (especially with some modeling amps)
some would say tone
Often have multiple options, effects, tones etc
easy to record direct (especially with modeling amps)

SS Cons
some would say tone
non-serviceable. When a fuse goes on a SS, some times all your left with is a big smoldering pile of goop.
volume
a host of other subjective things like response, etc (which one could argue about tube amps as well)

This is by no means an all inclusive list of ideas, but shows that there is a lot to consider. My personal advice is buy some used gear, take it home and use it, and be prepared to do a lot of searching! Some of us are still searching after many decades! =0)

My personal opinion on the subject?

They are tools to help an artist with their creativity.
Use whatever helps you towards your goal.

90% of the time I use a tube amp, but I do use them for recording, and once in a while live use applications as well. Tube or SS, who cares as long as it does what you NEED it to do! Good luck on your search Alwin, and keep us posted! Later, Tobe
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tubes or transistors?

Tobe is right this debate is as subjective as Gibson vs Fender.

Take your guitar down to the local music shops and plug in, bring your pedals if that is going to be a big part of what you do.

When I was looking for an amplifier to define who I was back in the day, that is what I did at the advice of a local store manager. So I lugged all my important pieces with me so I would get an accurate sound based on what I needed. Check with the shop prior to this, anyone not amenable to this shouldn't get your business anyway...

Good luck
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks guys! I'm going to take my Yamaha to a store soon.

Alwin

Tags
bass amp , charlie hunter , clean tone , fender bassman , jsx combo , jsx head , local music shop , mesa boogie , multi effects processor , peavey valveking , power amp , preamp tube , roland cube , solid state amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode