Tubes or transistors? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Tubes 108 81.20%
Transistors 10 7.52%
I have no preferance 15 11.28%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Re: Tubes or transistors?

i never have a problem warming my tubes up. i always warm my fingers up in the back before we take the stage for about 15 mins. when i do that i plug my amp in and play it on a real low volume while warming up and thats it. by the time i take the stage the tubes are fine.

live i only play around 5-6 and then get myself micd and the tone is just as good as cranked.

standby switch gets used 2x any show. when i first turn on the amp and when the amp is turning off. no hassle.

but as other people have said its all preference i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 21

I voted transistors. I wouldn't go to tubes unless I was a touring musician. That "sound" is just pushing waves through air molecules and the room also defines your sound. IMO, ss works just as well for the home, rehersal studio, and club. Combined with signal processing and distortion, it's too close to be a big deal.
Besides, SS costs less money too.
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 PM

Think about it this way: do you see any tube amps trying to "emulate" transistors? No. SS amps are always trying to get the "tube" sound.
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsafe306 View Post
Think about it this way: do you see any tube amps trying to "emulate" transistors? No. SS amps are always trying to get the "tube" sound.
Um, yeah. There's a few problems with that logic. As someone who actually likes SS amps that don't try to emulate tubes, I wouldn't buy a tube amp that tries to emulate SS because tubes can't emulate SS tone. Tubes ALWAYS color the sound with that harmonic thingy that they do. Transistors do not. Transistors just reproduce the sound exactly, and tubes can't mimic that. Furthermore, the majority of the guitar market continues to believe that tubes sound better. SS amps with digital technology are way cheaper (and in many cases, more reliable) than tubes, which is why there's such a market for digital amps emulating tubes.
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

I agree with every post before this one....
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Mix them both and sing the airwaves.
post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Hmm.. well, tube amp overdrive is the king of all distorted guitar sounds, but I've yet to find a tube amp that has a better clean tone than my Roland Cube 30X. If I could, I'd use both for live playing. A tube amp for all my distorted sounds and a transistor amp for all my clean sounds.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM

I do prefer tubes for what I play(Thrash) but there is most definately room for SS in the guitar playing community. Try playing clean thru an ampeg SS bass amp(SVT 1000+W). It's the cleanest tone you'll get. Use a high end solid state randall for some mid scooped distortion(Pantera). You get unique tones that tubes can't get. One of my guitar playing friends is in a band and needed an amp recommendation. He showed me a couple of clips of the sound he roughly wanted and i told him to get a randall rh300g3. It's got a tube simulation thing in it but still sounds very solid state. He loves it. If he would have bought a tube amp I don't think he could get such a heavily distorted sound out of any of the tube amps within the price range of the g3. I would personally hate the amp and like what my valveking can do with a 10 band eq in the fx loop, but it's all player preference. If he could afford it, he'd prolly have a dual rect or a 5150, but then again if i could afford i'd have an old jmp 2203, but i can't, so i've got a valveking
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM

I've played through very good examples of each type, and honestly, and my preference tends to lay pretty firmly in the Solid State camp (I was going to abbreviate that, but you just can't going around touting your allegiance to the "SS Camp"...just doesn't work).

Certainly, this is a highly subjective issue; and true tube devotees are quite passionate about their little glowing pieces of glass. I'm not going to lay a blanket statement out there, but I'd say that a lot of people who absolutely swear by tube amps are doing it because they think they're supposed to; that is, they think that they can't be "metal" or whatever if they use SS.

I'm no audio purist, and I'm certainly not any kind of expert, but I DO trust my ears, and to pretty well-trained ears, my Carvin SX200 solid state sounds at least as good (if not better) than most tube amps I've ever tried.

Again, this is all just my opinion (hence a poll, I suppose), but the only compelling reason to use a tube over solid state rears its head in Surfabilly music. Try playing Dick Dale stuff on a non-tube amp. Yes, you can drench your tone in reverb, and that'll get you close, but probably not close enough.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 PM

I'm a big tube guy if I'm playing rock or any deritative there of. But also, it depends on the size of the venue. If I'm in a touring band, hell yes, tube all the way--3 heads, 6 4x12 cabs, a rack, a bradshaw board. Mmm...
But I'm not a touring musician. I'm a senior in high school. I'm going to live in a city when I go to college, and I hope to not have to use a car. That's why, right now, I'm buying a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight and a Line 6 POD X3 live. Huge amounts of headroom and veratility, and pretty convincing tones and effects, especially for jazz with just the Fender. The Fender also has incredible tube emulation on the OD channel. Search it on youtube. There's a video of a guy running an MXR pedal or some sort as a test through the overdrive channel, with gain set very low, and the first test is his "control" without the pedal, and oh my god! The tone is so organic and spongy...and my lord, it's breaking up like a tube amp! So for things in the jazz realm, even if it gets dirty like Charlie Hunter or Scofield, it's the ultimate amp. Add a pedal board or multi effects processo (a good one) and you've got everything you need. Plug it into the PA and don't worry about multi effects processors sounding like crap when they're turned up; the line out has a seperate volume.
So for a while I'm going to let my V3 sleep. Sometimes, less is more my friends.
Smitty
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:31 AM

Give me GOOD modeling.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Tubes ofcourse, once you had tubes, ya just can't go back There is nothing like a cranked tube amp.
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
One thing solid states have over tube amps is headroom. A solid state amp can stay cleaner, at very very high volumes, than a tube amp. Tube amps get hotter at high volumes so you lose a bit of ability to have the cleanest tone at high volumes. But since most of us use distortion more than clean it isn't a problem and modern tube amps are designed with more headroom and usablilty so even at super loud volumes the clean channel on a good tube amp will stay as clean as anyone needs one to for rock and so on. Jazz clean at those volumes? Probably not.

hope this helps a bit.

I myself don't have to have a tube amp for clean but for distortion it has to go through tubes. Tube pedal or or amp all the way.
You should try the clean channel on a Carvin Legacy....more clean headroom than you could ever need, and seriously LOUD!!!
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Any tone junky knows it's Tubes all the way. If you're a SS fan, you have never played through a good tube amp.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 AM

Reviews: 13

this thread is a joke. of course tubes are better

Tags
bass amp , charlie hunter , clean tone , fender bassman , jsx combo , jsx head , local music shop , mesa boogie , multi effects processor , peavey valveking , power amp , preamp tube , roland cube , solid state amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode