Tubes or transistors? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Tubes 108 81.20%
Transistors 10 7.52%
I have no preferance 15 11.28%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Tubes or transistors?

Hi,

Do you prefer transistor amps, or tube equipped ones? I checked out the amp guide, but there was nothing there (I couldn't find anything when I did a search).

I know not much about this particular subject, so I thought I'd post this poll. Also, maybe it turns out as something interesting enough to post in the amp guide.

Kind regards,
Alwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Re: Tubes or transistors?

i would much rather preffer the intricant charachteristics ive come to love about tubes for my guitar, but for high volume amplification and refrence quality audio like expensive stereos, i much prefer solid state....
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 1

Try 'em both, you'll hear and feel the difference.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM

I get warm fuzzies from tubes.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Are there pros and cons of the two?

Alwin
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I'd be suprised if more than one or 2 people vote for solid state. I wont be suprised when people start whining about hybrid and modeling amps not being choices.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting and to the point, elcid.

Alwin
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

hey, some hybrids and modeling amps sound good
esspecially when the application calls for it
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Tube amps as of today sound better for guitars. The sound is warmer and more pleasant to the ear. This is scientifically true actually. The sound waves comming froma tube amp are rounded like this ~~~~~~ but the sound waves coming from a solid-state amp are like this^^^^^^ the first is more pleasing to you ear. Essentially all natural sounds are shaped like this. It's true I read about it somewhere but don't remeber where, I think in a Mesa Boogie info pack.

Also, tube amps have better volume for wattage in most cases. Often times 50 watts tube is louder than almost any 100 watt solid-state. They can actually have more verstility in gain as well. Im not sure how to explain this but, on a tube amp the controls are usually more responsive and can be used to delevop a more original or versatile tone.

One thing solid states have over tube amps is headroom. A solid state amp can stay cleaner, at very very high volumes, than a tube amp. Tube amps get hotter at high volumes so you lose a bit of ability to have the cleanest tone at high volumes. But since most of us use distortion more than clean it isn't a problem and modern tube amps are designed with more headroom and usablilty so even at super loud volumes the clean channel on a good tube amp will stay as clean as anyone needs one to for rock and so on. Jazz clean at those volumes? Probably not.

hope this helps a bit.

I myself don't have to have a tube amp for clean but for distortion it has to go through tubes. Tube pedal or or amp all the way.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 AM

tubes all the way...
I have both and one gathers dust while the other shakes it off.....

I also notice that when I use my SS amp, it does not matter what guitar or pickups I use, the damn thing sounds the same...

when I use the tube amp, I get a huge difference in sound if I just switch a pup from series to parallel...
SS belongs in the bin, although I did quite like the bognor line 6 when I played it in a shop..
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Another tube fan here. I have had both types of amp and as Jaden said, the tube amps got played whilst the SS gathered dust.
But I would say if all you're interested is in a heavy as **** sound, then SS maybe worth considering.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 AM

When it comes to guitar amps, I think that tubes sound better, but there are always some exceptions. I really like the tone of some transistor amps for super clean tones, like the Roland JC's. Generally though, tubes are much better sounding than transistors imho.

Rock on!
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Tubes. Even a low-end all-tube amp (Peavey Valveking) does it much better for me than an advanced transistor (Line6 Flextone II head) amp.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. It's appreciated.

The reason I asked is because I'm considering buying a small Marshall combo for recording. From the looks of things, I'm going to go for the DSL201.

This thread has been very informative to me. Thanks again.

Alwin
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Definitely tube man, put a SS and a tube amp side by side you'll hear the difference at once. A 50watt tube amp can blow a SS 100watt amp out of the water and into the fire, tube always sounded more musical than the SS.

Tags
bass amp , charlie hunter , clean tone , fender bassman , jsx combo , jsx head , local music shop , mesa boogie , multi effects processor , peavey valveking , power amp , preamp tube , roland cube , solid state amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode