The Ultimate Amplifier Poll 2 - Page 5 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: What amplifier do people own?
Marshall 61 26.18%
Mesa Boogie 65 27.90%
Fender 27 11.59%
Peavey 35 15.02%
Laney 14 6.01%
Orange 7 3.00%
Engl 9 3.86%
Rivera 3 1.29%
Randall 8 3.43%
Genz Benz 1 0.43%
Crate 11 4.72%
Line 6 26 11.16%
Other 69 29.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Re: The Ultimate Amplifier Poll 2

I have a Mark series 100wtt head right now but the dirty isn't what I like in crunch. It has the old 80's crunch that isn't the good 80's crunch that isn't tight and dimensional.

I saw the weight (100lbs) in the Mesa catalog. I read all I could about it and played the head verion. I was interested in what the weight was due to gigging out as much as I do and the fact that I would buy a nice roadcase for it ($300 ).

I does seem like I could blow an O-ring lugging it around. Casters are a must for the amp and the case.

I can't be stuck lugging a 4x12 and head to every gig or else I would have already bought the head version

I'm also close to taking a NOS F-50 1x12 home since the store offered it up to me at cost. The Express 5:50 short head would be nice to go with my vertical 2x12 halfback that I use my Mark series with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Talking Re: The Ultimate Amplifier Poll 2

I've got a Mesa Roadster, Line 6 Vetta II and Spider II, and a Peavey VTM60 head played into a JBL 2X12 cab. Roadster is THE amp for me. I like the flexibility of the Vetta effects, but tone wise it doesn't stack up against the Mesa. If it weren't for the effects I wouldn't keep the Vetta.

I agree with the weight issue though, if I were lugging the Mesa around to gigs I'd no doubt have to buy a back brace. That is the heaviest 2X12 amp I have ever had the displeasure of lifting. I can't imagine putting it in a flight case unless that would allow you to tow it behind your car. I don't think I'd be able to get it into the back of my Durango without a ramp if it were in a flight case.

I'd love to have a JSX or a Legacy just to have them and there's a couple of Mesas that I'd like to hear along with the new Spider Valve amp, but I can't imagine I'd like the tone anymore than my Roadster.
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 AM

The "Bogner" Spider sounds interesting. Might have to give it a test drive just for kicks at least.

Having a flight/road case with casters would make it a little more portable but there is no doubt I'll have a band mate help lift it into my truck

I played a Roadster head thru a mesa 2x12 again yesterday as well as an F-50 1x12 combo, Stilleto Ace combo and the Express 5:50. All three amps would make me smile to take home but the Roadster just gave me goose bumps in flexability and tone. I used my puzzle top RG as the test driving vehicle, one word - SWEET

I found a used Roadster 2x12 for $1700 in mint shape and have been fighting having it shipped immediately due to Xmas and all the holiday bills that will be coming as well as NAMM right around the corner.
post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM

Carvin Valvemaster and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Marshall AVT275 and a Roland Cube 30x

May i ask all Mesa Boogie owners, Does your amp sound good at low volumes? i tried one the other day in a shop (so obviously, had to be quiet) and it sounded terrible. Like, "30yr old practice amp" - bad. The guy in the shop said it sounded bad because i wast driving it. if so, how much do you need to drive it to get a good sound?
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM

Boogies are made with versatility in mind. With that said, I think even at lower volumes they can be dialed in to get a good tone. There are lots of Boogie models that have different wattage settings which can change the ballgame for the better at lower volumes.

I just bought a NOS F-50 1x12 combo and it opens up more and more as you drive it harder (turn it up) but still sounds nice at "bedroom volumes". I tried a Stiletto Ace 1x12 and almost brought it home for the versatility that amp showed. Even at lower volumes it had plenty of tone.

I'm a Mesa Man for life

My personal grail amp will be when I can afford a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo, one of the top two most versatile amps in the Mesa series IMHO.
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Screamndemon..... why don't you just buy my MKI? it's a "76" and is very Dumble like. Got the fancy hardwood, JBL, 50/100 watt, no EQ though, and the matching extension cabinet with a Eminence in it.
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 AM

I'd sure be interested in trying it out sometime. If you ever plan to be anywhere near me, please bring it along.

The Roadster has so much versatility that I could use it for years and still feel like it has more to offer than I will ever tap into.

I own a late 80's Mark series 100wtt head but I don't get to play in enough venues that have the space to bring a half stack (I love my oldschool Mesa 2x12 vertical cab - the old halfback model).
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I'd sure be interested in trying it out sometime. If you ever plan to be anywhere near me, please bring it along.

The Roadster has so much versatility that I could use it for years and still feel like it has more to offer than I will ever tap into.

I own a late 80's Mark series 100wtt head but I don't get to play in enough venues that have the space to bring a half stack (I love my oldschool Mesa 2x12 vertical cab - the old halfback model).
I remember when those half back cabs came out..... nice! Mine sure won't sound like a triple-recto though! They didn't make them with a built in chainsaw back then.

But she's got great cleans and sings when driven. Works well with just your guitar volume. Not quite a Dumble or Komet though!
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 AM

I use only the cleans on my amps and only wanted a gain channel in case (knock on wood) my pedal board (Radial Tone Bone Hot British) crapped out at a gig.

Nothing sings quite like my Fender '65 Deluxe reissue 1x12. I love the tone of my Mesas but they are a little bit darker than the Fender clean. I've been using the Fender AND the Mesa F-50 and have been feeling like I get the best compliments of tones with both together than I would with one or the other. I've been in tone heaven for the past month or so with this setup.

Being a gear whore, I still want the Roadster (notice the word "want" rather than "need" ).

Built in "chainsaw" Recto's can have that affect. I like the fact that you have control over the recto settings to bring them in or out. Back to the versatility factor of Mesas
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM

voted for Mesa and Line 6! based from what i heard and tried.
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 AM

Reviews: 3

As far as amps I own, Fender and Peavey. I also voted Rivera, as I believe it is MY ultimate amp.(tbr 1-sl to be exact)
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Main is Hughes&Kettner Warp7, at home Laney
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM

So Mesa is on top here, so whats to say about them sounding muffled? Every clip I hear of a rectifier be it a roadster roadking etc. they sound so dull. Can they really be that bad? Also are they really suitable for lead playing or just rhythm?
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Original JCM 800 50 watt combo from 84 or 86 ( cant remember )
Fender ( some small solid state awful sounding amp )
Vox Valvetronix thing that sounds alright to practice when the wife says im playing to loud

Next amp:
Carvin legacy
Engl Fireball or Powerball

Last edited by shotgunlew; 01-17-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: forgot something

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , boogie triaxis , boss pedal , boss pedals , dual rectifier , extension cab , fender deluxe , fender deluxe reverb , guitar playing , kettner triamp , marshall avt , marshall jvm , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa mark , mesa road king , mesa triaxis , pedal board , power amp , practice amp , radial tone bone , roland cube , roland jazz chorus , solid state amp , solid state amps , stiletto ace , tube amp , versatile amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode