United Nations of Shred - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which country has the best shredders?
USA 8 57.14%
UK 3 21.43%
Other, please specify 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Talking United Nations of Shred

Ok guys, sorry if it's been done before.

2 heavyweight contenders, USA vs UK.

Who's the best?????? Apologies to other nations here, but its a straight shootout.

I'm going to call out Guthrie, Alex Hutchings and Rick Graham as a starting point in favour of the UK here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Re: United Nations of Shred

Next up, dental health poll.

Petrucci, Vai, Satch, God, etc.... are all American so im going with muricuh.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 13

Malmsteen is the original shredder. So, Sweden.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I'll give you Malmsteen, great shout....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Next up, dental health poll.

Petrucci, Vai, Satch, God, etc.... are all American so im going with muricuh.
As shredders, these guys don't match up. Mention PG perhaps...

Don't be rude either eh??! we have a good reason for poor dental hygiene over here, and canadians should be supportive, being part of the British commonwealth etc!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:33 PM

These days, I would say USA with the likes of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eddie Van Halen.

But when I was in high school it was all about Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, and David Gilmour. Nobody could touch the brits and it has to be noted that Jimi Hendrix was perfected in the London scene. You can't forget Keef, Pete Townshend, Peter Green, George Harrison, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Ritchie Blackmore, and Tommy Iommi.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-05-2014 at 11:38 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratys View Post
As shredders, these guys don't match up. Mention PG perhaps...

Don't be rude either eh??! we have a good reason for poor dental hygiene over here, and canadians should be supportive, being part of the British commonwealth etc!
Don't match up? What are you smoking? Petrucci or Vai would school any of those guys you mentioned on song craft alone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 AM

Reviews: 6

Hands down US

Shred as I see it (technical mastery rather than a particular style) has more complex origins, you can't deny that if you plugged Djanjo Reinhardt (France) into a few modern pedals the man could shred - all the more amazing as he only had 2 working fingers. Throughout the decades you had others who took the guitar to new directions, no one mentions Chuck Berry or Les Paul from the 50s. Then of course Hendrix, a lot of people tut tut this, but he was different from his contemporaries. The first shredder of the neo-classical style was Uli Jon Roth (Germany) of the Scorpions, followed by Ritchie Blackmore (England), they were again head and shoulders above their contemporaries.

Then in 1980 Steve Vai started playing for Zappa, FZ called it stunt guitar, but it was shred. Consistently the US has produced more exciting shredders than anyone else. I feel by far the biggest contributor is the US's position as the largest cultural melting pot in the world, think of every genre that is popular and it was formulated in the US, sure the origins are African & European, but the place that makes it happen is the US. I liked some great European and Asian Guitar players, but the ones that really inspired me to play were always American.

Jason Becker, SV, JS, PG, MAB, Petrucci, Marty Friedman, Tony Mac Alpine, Vinny Moore etc.,

Britian has produced some great players that I love - Guthrie, Ritchie Blackmore and one of my all time favourites...Brian May, this little island has produced none, so there were local players I liked such as Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher, but the altar I sacrifice my virgins at is to the pantheon of American guitar gods....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Not talking about 'song craft' though are we?
Technically, Vai would probably admit himself that he isnt as sharp as some players. Not disputing he is probably the most gifted and original guitar player i have ever heard.

In terms of technique and shredding i don't believe what you said to be true..

Last edited by socratys; 09-06-2014 at 06:10 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Tough question... both have produced their fair share of guitar gods. Even though I'm a patriotic American to the core, I always thought of Northern Europe as the "shred" capitol of the world when I was growing up and discovering the world of metal... Uli, Malmsteen, etc. They were shredding when everyone else was just rocking out. Right now the heaviest music created comes from that region.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It'll be some kid in his bedroom in the middle of nowhere that'd take the title.

If you're gigging, you're not shredding. If you're uploading, you're not shredding. If you're posting on the internet, you're not shredding. If you're writing actual songs, you're not shredding. In fact if you're doing anything other than shredding, you are not shredding.

The people we've heard of are not as shreddy as the ones we haven't, because in order to have any public interest at all they'll have had to have compromised on the shred at least to some extent.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Does that mean the amount of hours you practice are more important than how you practice? I call BS!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If you spend time calling, you're not shredding.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM

I got to talk to you, Jono, set the record straight...

"Hi! You saw our ad for a new guitarist, how cool! Dope, dude! What's that? You're a 5 hour per day guitarist!? Sorry man, that won't do it, we need a 6 hour per day guitarist. Recent studies show that your ability to play the guitar is directly related to the amount of hours you put in every day. No gig for you. Next life, don't make so many phone calls."

I practice 8 hours, ascending runs, three notes per string. Same deal over and over, slightly faster than I'm able to play. Since I don't make any phone calls, this will make me better.

I practice 5 hours, a variety of techniques, focusing on problem areas, using suggested examples to figure out and overcome the issue. Speed increments done at a steady pace. Makes one phone call per day.

I don't dare finish with the last line, as it's bit too much, and it might not be correct.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 21

Paul Gilbert is my overall favorite.

But Jeff Beck is why I do what I do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode