Is the Universe dead? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Is Ibanez finished making the Universe?
The Universe is dead, never coming back. 3 12.50%
The Universe will be re-released in the future. 12 50.00%
It's still here, UV70p! 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Is the Universe dead?

Do you think that the Ibanez Universe has gone the way of the Dodo? I hope they revamp it and bring it back in a few years, but I don't expect Ibanez to do that. I assume they stopped making it because they weren't selling many. That's economics 101, but I still would like to see some new 7-string Vai stuff.

Also, I don't feel that the UV70p is a real Universe. It's a quality budget guitar, but I don't think it really deserves the Universe name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Re: Is the Universe dead?

No way is it dead.

Jem7v7 is the current top. If that doesn't sell well there will probably be another Japanese Universe released at some point. Maybe Steve will start playing 7's a lot more, especially seeing as he announced that he wants to work on a pure guitar album next...

I just don't see Ibanez killing it off. I mean, going on current trends 6 strings isn't enough for Ibanez, nor is 8 enough.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 6

Nah, billions and billions of years left. The evidence from examining the red shift on imaging seems to point towards an ever rapidly expanding universe which would indicate at some point in the future as galaxies travel further and further apart it will eventually cool and die. However, the jury on multiverse theory is not in yet.

Oh, wrong forum....
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 PM

while i do think it will come back in the near future it just currently seems to me that its just not popular not dead though
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM

I think Ibanez thinks beyond the Universe model, they think more along the lines of 7 strings.
They have several 7 string models RG, RGA and S at the moment.
I agree that the JEM7V is the top of the line Universe at the moment; the name is just semantics.
The Iron Label, the Prestige line and even low end lines of Ibanez guitars have 7 string models available at the moment.
The new Apex200 even has a square heal like a Universe.

Doing reissues like the UV70P never really do it for me either.
I’d like to see something all new UV in the next few years.
A 7 string with pyramids and a whole new color would be nice.
A new set of Vai 7 string Dimarzio pickups in it would be cool too!

What about you guys?
What would you like to see?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Not dead but not popular at this point in time. I can't wait to get one though one day
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

The Universe was never meant to be a copycat of the JEM line, Vai said so himself. It is supposed to be its own line of guitars which is why no production Uni ever had a monkey grip or lion's claw. The JEM7V7 is just a JEM with 7 strings.

As for what I would like to see, I really don't know. I do like the new APEX 200. I certainly find it more desirable than a JEM7V7 or UV70p at this point. I think a multi-scale Universe would be pretty cool. Ibanez is testing the waters on a new multi-scale bass so it may not be too far off.

The past few guitars that I've bought have all been unique: multi-scale for high A, piezo, sustainiac. I already have two Universe's now. I have no need for another one unless Ibanez does something different with it. I need more than three pickups and a five-way switch.

As for the multiverse theory: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ext...ultiverse.html
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDean View Post
The Universe was never meant to be a copycat of the JEM line, Vai said so himself. It is supposed to be its own line of guitars which is why no production Uni ever had a monkey grip or lion's claw. The JEM7V7 is just a JEM with 7 strings.
That is absolutely splitting hairs.

The UV used to be the only decent 7 string you could buy. That's changed a lot now, but I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon, and really as long as Ibanez is producing SOME sort of good quality seven, I'm fine. I'd rather one of those white 1527M's over the Jem 7V7 or the UV70P anyway.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Vendor

I love the 7V7, that was long overdue.

The only problem with anything A list signature is the pricing these days. Not that anything MIJ is "cheap", but that signature bump is a small mountain.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I love the 7V7, that was long overdue.

The only problem with anything A list signature is the pricing these days. Not that anything MIJ is "cheap", but that signature bump is a small mountain.
I thought the 7V7 cheapened the idea of the Universe when it came out, but I've seen a few online. Now and I'm really warming to it. I'd like to see more variety in the Vai 7 string line, but as Drew said, the UV isn't the only 7 string available these days so more Vai-riety is hard to justify to Ibanez I guess...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 AM

Reviews: 21

I'm just waiting for a UV that has a flame or quilt top......long overdue i think! And another maple board would be nice too!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Cev

There are definitely a lot more 7-string alternatives nowadays, but I don't think it's dead at all.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:15 AM

The 7V7 is the BOMB!

I love my 7V7!

When I pick it up, it feels like I'm picking up an early 90s UV.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 21

I remember when the Universe came out I was dying to get one. After a long while they finally got one in at the local Ace Music down here. I played it and... I hated it. I don't think my mind could deal with the seventh string at the time. It wasn't until much later when I got an RG7620 on eBay for $400 that I gave them another try and I LOVED that guitar! I guess I needed a bit more aging and practice to fully appreciate a seven.
I played the UV70P and loved it too. I might get one in the future. I've been shying away from trem guitars lately though. If money wasn't an issue I'd get both the UV70P and UV71P. Both are awesome and solid guitars.
I wouldn't get the 7V7 though even though it's probably a great instrument. Too expensive and I never liked the white and gold Jem.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

If the UV71p comes out with a maple fretboard, I will have to fight real good against my GAS for getting one.

Tags
ibanez , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode