Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Volume @ Home

• I play through headphones.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I bought a small amp for home.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • I just turn down the volume on my big rig.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Pictures occasionally fall off the wall.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I've developed a "relationship" with local law enforcement.

Votes: 2 3.8%
3K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  ScottB 
#1 ·
Just Curious....I see alot of big rigs in peoples bedrooms here. That's gotta be loud. When I crank my little 15 watt amp to about half it's potential, it's LOUD. Though, it is one of the loudest 15 watters I've heard.

Personally, I like to play at a moderate level 99% of the time.

For some, it will be more about tone than volume. I personally try to get good tone at a reasonable volume. That's why I bought a lil 15 watt amp.

#28 ·
I had my first knock on the door by the Baltimore City Police Dept., back in '77 at the ripe age of 16. Location: my friend's parent's basement. The offending parties included my '73 hardtail Strat and a Big Muff Pi into a dimed '68 Fender Vibro Champ. Seems the old lady next door wasn't as keen on the merits of my loud, badly played rendition of Ted Nugent's 'Stranglehold" as my neighbors enjoyed a few blocks down the street. Over the years, I've played at a few other parties where the man stopped by. We never had any problems when we turned down to a level they were ok with, and stopped at the 11 pm cut-off time.

An amusing memory remains from my early guitar playing days. My buddy with the fartsy neighbor lived about a half mile from the local district police station. I lived in a tiny rowhouse on the block across the street from the station and district court out in front. I played as loud as my mom would tolerate and the basement jam room window was always open to the street. My dad was a city fire fighter on a rotating shift. Whenever he was at work, there would always be a cop's personal car parked in dad's space out front. A minimum of 20 officers would walk past my house, 3 feet from my window, on any given day. Not once did they ever knock and ask me to turn down. If the neighbors weren't complaining, they didn't give a crap what happened if it wasn't breaking the law.

When they do get called, most cops are cool if you're cooperative and cordial and they don't have to return. My last occurance involved my JSX 1/2 stack. Officer Rocker thought the chrome faceplate was cool looking and asked me to crank it up louder for a minute and play him a verse and chorus of Metallica's 'Ain't My Bitch'!! :cool: (It's the only 'tallica song I've ever bothered to learn because I like the slide lead.)

* back on topic *

I voted for the small combo option because my latest weapon of choice at home is a Roland Micro Cube. :oops: I also have a PX4D Pandora, but prefer to move a little air as opposed to headphones. So far, I've been too lazy to plug the PX4 into the Cube. Maybe I'll try it on the PA setting or into the CD input instead.

Vox has recently come out with their own version of the Micro, but it hasn't received as many favorable reviews as Roland. Most have agreed that the Cube does a better AC30 than the little Vox.

My favorite tone is the British stack with the gain on 2 or 3 and the volume dimed. Think Physical Grafitti - Custard Pie. 1 watt can get pretty loud in a 12'x 12' sheetrock room. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.