The Warmoth Poll - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Warmoth poll
Warmoth is top notch! 13 40.63%
Their stuff is ok. 6 18.75%
Crap, total crap. 2 6.25%
Awesome wood, workmanship could be better. 4 12.50%
Wasnt what I expected. 4 12.50%
Better an I expected. 2 6.25%
Wood wasn't that great. 1 3.13%
Fretwork sucked. 1 3.13%
Finish sucked. 1 3.13%
Overpriced. 6 18.75%
Great deal! 2 6.25%
Better off buying an already made guitar. 2 6.25%
Wtf is warmoth? 2 6.25%
Awesome exotic woods at a great price. 2 6.25%
I buy their stuff and rework the wood myself. 1 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
The Warmoth Poll

Warmoth parts are somewhat of a mystery. I have heard from various sources that their quality and workmanship is not very good. I know they have some awesome wood choices, but I have seen some stuff on evil bay that didnt look so great either. So I want to know who knows the real story about warmoth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: The Warmoth Poll

I've never heard anything bad about their stuff, lots of good stuff even, but I've never tried it myself.

At the price they charge to actually have a guitar fully made for you, I'd probably just save up a bit more and get a KxK or Daemoness or BRJ but if you're just ordering a neck they're pretty awesome.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to do stuff myself though (I grow my own vegetables, herbs and trees and whatnot, and I make my own hot sauces and donuts and whatnot) so if you just want to order the parts and put it together yourself Warmoth is pretty much your only option. Unless I'm missing somebody else, which is entirely possibly.

I voted:
I voted Overpriced.

Last edited by AxeHappy; 06-04-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I actually voted!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Warmoth makes excellent parts, and what they lack in options, they make up for in price.

I have had success with Warmoth, Musikraft, and USACG.

Every company is going to have a dud every now and then. Warmoth sell thousands of necks/bodies a month, and a have large following for a reason.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Seems like for a bolt on guitar it would be ok. But how about their gibson stuff? Its all bolt on right? The body shapes look a bit off too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
Seems like for a bolt on guitar it would be ok. But how about their gibson stuff? Its all bolt on right? The body shapes look a bit off too.
Might be off because of copyrights. Anyway--every Warmoth neck I've owned or played was awesome, and I've played them since 1985.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM

i built several Warmoth guitars for customers/friends, and they never failed at anything.

top notch, for me.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 10

I have to chime in here cuz I spent a lot of money putting together a custom warmoth strat - alder body, goncalo alves & pau ferro neck - and the body was nice but the neck and frets both needed work...

I had all the parts put together by a top luthier just to be safe but the neck buzzed badly and he showed me that the frets were uneven and the neck also needed work because it was uneven and needed to be re-planed to take a dip out of it that adjustments to the truss wouldn't fix...he ended up having to take the frets out, re-plane the neck and then reinstall and level the frets...this neck was almost $400 but I had to spend over 1/2 that to have all of this extensive work done...extremely disappointing...I would have just returned the neck but by the time I got the electronics together, got the parts into the shop, met with the luthier after, etc. the 30 day return window had closed...

I know others have had great success with warmoth stuff but my experience was a very negative experience - a lot of money and headaches and the guitar still doesn't sound as good as less expensive strats that I pick up off the wall in the music store...I wish I had spent the money on a new already built guitar (Suhr maybe) and saved myself the money and headaches.

I also think it's important to be able to hold a guitar and see how the different woods marry and see if you like how it feels before you shell out money for it...I'm not saying warmoth stuff is not good because I believe they are using quality woods but I think you need to be careful...but then how do you be careful when you can't even try it out first...I think going this route is inviting potential headaches....maybe I just got unlucky but that was my experience...

I voted better off buying an already made guitar....just an opinion...but it is based on experience.

Last edited by doriangrey; 06-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 57

I'm pretty sure warmoth indicates on the site that new necks need levelling and fret dressing as it's not done by them. At least that was the case with the neck I bought from them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspy View Post
I'm pretty sure warmoth indicates on the site that new necks need levelling and fret dressing as it's not done by them. At least that was the case with the neck I bought from them.
I know that a warmoth neck may require fret dressing & leveling but the neck that I received needed more work than that... and in hindsight I really don't like the idea of buying a new neck that needs fretwork right away...even the ends weren't very smooth...maybe I just got a bad one...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

What's the point of paying for frets if they aren't fully finished?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
What's the point of paying for frets if they aren't fully finished?
Agreed. All parts usually need some minor work, but a neck with those issues should never have left their facility.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 AM

Reviews: 11

warmoth seems to be what you are willing to pay for....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM

This is another poll that needs randomized choices. Too many people just click the first thing they agree with. A later choice may be a better one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Reviews: 11

hate warmoth. they have nothing that interests me. if i want an ugly body thats just a copy of a nice, real one, ill do it myself for less than $500.

i guess their necks are alright though
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
hate warmoth. they have nothing that interests me. if i want an ugly body thats just a copy of a nice, real one, ill do it myself for less than $500.

i guess their necks are alright though
You could just say you have never tried one.

I just ordered another Warmoth neck. This one will be a built to order neck, I expect it to need work once assembled. There are too many variables to make it 100% ready to play, neck angle, relief, shipping halfway around the world. I would rather not pay for them to polish the frets since it most likely will need some work done before it's ready to play anyway. Just a waste of labor and money.

Tags
warmoth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode