what size pick?

49K views 225 replies 159 participants last post by  vladimirwarhead 
#1 ·
pretty self explanitory!!!

Whats your favourite?

I hover around the 1mm to 2mm range.
:twisted:

#78 ·
I bought two of every size in the tray when I first started playing. But it wasn't quite fair because before I even had a chance to go to the music store I played using a dime. Anyhow, I ended up sticking with the purple dunlop 1.5mm or the blue-green textured dunlop 1.5mm.

#84 ·
I used to use Vai picks religiously, but recently have discovered Dunlop Jazz III XLs. A very fine pick indeed for lead work, and they're half the price of the Vais. They dig in a little too much perhaps for chords, but its only a bother when there's a lot of strumming involved, like in my church band, in which case I use one of the Vai's.

#88 ·
I can shred like a mofo (most of you have seen) using anything from .7 to .96, generally i use old school fender ones (.88 fluro green, .96 fluro pink) currently using dunlop .96`s they are ok but nothing crazy.

The sharper the tip the better for me, i blunt them pretty quickly tho, heavy picks i cant use, they are too heavy, my whole technique is in my wrist so i cant use anything thats going to get caught on a string,

ps, i can match paul gilberts picking speed.

#89 ·
JimmyJ said:
I can shred like a mofo (most of you have seen) using anything from .7 to .96, generally i use old school fender ones (.88 fluro green, .96 fluro pink) currently using dunlop .96`s they are ok but nothing crazy.

The sharper the tip the better for me, i blunt them pretty quickly tho, heavy picks i cant use, they are too heavy, my whole technique is in my wrist so i cant use anything thats going to get caught on a string,

ps, i can match paul gilberts picking speed.
Then you must be like my ex-teacher he uses the 0.7mm and can still pick the hell out of those strings :mrgreen:

#91 ·
Geez guys what are you using those paper thin picks for!? I use 3mm jim dunlop big stubbys, with 11-49 strings on my RG520. The stubbys are great cause they are 3mmm where you hold them but taper and round where you pick so you can use a very small amount of pick but get much more power than ANY other pick .great for utlra fast shredding and tremolo picking :D

#92 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
Geez guys what are you using those paper thin picks for!? I use 3mm jim dunlop big stubbys, with 11-49 strings on my RG520. The stubbys are great cause they are 3mmm where you hold them but taper and round where you pick so you can use a very small amount of pick but get much more power than ANY other pick .great for utlra fast shredding and tremolo picking :D
3 mm???? I tried the 2.5 mm 10 years and I didn't like it, 1.14 mm is the one for me ;).

Regards

André

#98 ·
Wow, am I the only one who uses Clayton picks? lol

I tend to use picks in the 1mm-2mm range, with 1mm being my Claytons (the really hard, white ones), and the 2mm being the Dunlop Big Stubbies. I haven't really been using the Dunlops much, and I wanna try those Jazz IIIs that everyone's talking about.

#101 ·
I use Ibanez PaulGilbert picks (don't know how big, I think they are 2mm or something though), 1.14mm Dunlop tortex, and 3mm Dunlop stubby. I only recently got into using 3mm stubbies, and they are actually really nice. But I still use my pearl-white Ibanez Gilbert pick most of the time, overall it's my favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.