49K views 225 replies 159 participants last post by  vladimirwarhead 
#1 ·
pretty self explanitory!!!

Whats your favourite?

I hover around the 1mm to 2mm range.
:twisted:

#102 ·
Reviving this thread slightly...

I use white Sharkfin picks. Don't know the thickness in mm (I'd guess medium gauge) or the make (I've forgotten) but I really like them now. You get used to the wierd shape after a while, but I like them a lot - more surface area to grip too. :)

#105 ·
Just because today i was in a musicshop looking around gear, i thought i'd bring this back up again.

I started using Jazz III's (black) a while back and find them really great pics. Also, while i was in the musicshop today, i looked at some of the newer picks they had in.

I bought 3 Dunlop Tortex 1.14 Jazz picks and a couple of 3mm stubbies and this is my conclusion:

The Tortex Jazz picks are too thin for shredding. They're too flexible i find and don't put up too much resistance. I also found them quite hard to grip. The upside to this is they're very good accoustic picks i found and can do pretty well for strumming and sweeping.

The 3mm stubbies i decided i would only ever use on my 7-string, just to give it the added beasty sound. I found them too fat to use for shredding and found the Jazz III's to be nicer.

And an added thing: as i was looking through this thread, i noticed people saying they find it hard to shred on anything lower then 2mm picks. Well, the Jazz III picks are 1.48 i think, and they're probably the best i think. I've seem shredders use really really light picks and use a technique where they apply pressure to the pick to tense it up and make it stronger. This means they can have flexable riffing but fast tight leads. Quite a funny technique. I haven't mastered it, and probably never will want to, but you guys should give it a go

#110 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
Geez guys what are you using those paper thin picks for!? I use 3mm jim dunlop big stubbys, with 11-49 strings on my RG520. The stubbys are great cause they are 3mmm where you hold them but taper and round where you pick so you can use a very small amount of pick but get much more power than ANY other pick .great for utlra fast shredding and tremolo picking :D
You use fat strings, but that's still overkill...

#116 ·
I use Dunlop 2mm (extra heavy) delrin picks, I don't dig into the strings that much so i let the pick do alot of the work, this has enable me to develop a lighter touch so i can play much faster without tensing up. Same with my left hand using scalloped necks, i've got a very light touch :)

#124 ·
Epicus Furor said:
no ... shouldn't you be practising on your guitar to try and actually match you claims of being such a guitar god, i'll email Zakk to see if he wants any lessons from you in the future ...
I'm taking a break from 10 Hours worth of practise. Mybe if Zakk practised that much, he'd be good too.

Zakk is too thick to learn anything. That's why he supports George Bush.

#125 ·
' I'm taking a break from 10 Hours worth of practise. Mybe if Zakk practised that much, he'd be good too.Zakk is too thick to learn anything'

I suggest you do some research before making such statements .. You obviously don't know as much as you would like to think you do about players if you accuse a highly accomplished player like Zakk Wylde to slack on practising ...

#126 ·
Epicus Furor said:
' I'm taking a break from 10 Hours worth of practise. Mybe if Zakk practised that much, he'd be good too.Zakk is too thick to learn anything'

I suggest you do some research before making such statements .. You obviously don't know as much as you would like to think you do about players if you accuse a highly accomplished player like Zakk Wylde to slack on practising ...
Well he sucks so therefore he obviously doesn't practise.

Look at Matthew Mills. He has practised 5 hours per day & look how bad ass he is. He'll make Zakk Wylde cry his ass off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.