What's the best Edge tremolo? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

What's the best Edge tremolo?

I've used the ZRtremolo and it felt cheap, with my new RG1570 Prestige I have the Edge Pro and it seems rock solid and stays in tune pretty good.

Which edge would you say is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Re: What's the best Edge tremolo?

Comparing Lo-pro edge and edge pro i would say lo pro edge but the difference is very little
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM

I've have not had the ability of using an Edge Pro equipped guitar..

But what I can tell you is that the Original and Lo-pro Edge are better imo than the ZR and the Edge Zero

The ZR and EZ feel much better in my hands, but they have many kinks that haven't been fixed properly yet...

on the models I've tried.. All Edge Zero and ZR equipped guitars always seem to have some kind of buzzing on some positions that kill sustain. I've read somewhere that it's due to the saddle's being a lot more loose. Not like the Edge/Lo-Pro's.

The Edge and Lo-Pro trems are very smooth and have almost perfect tuning stability. My RG570 has the Edge and it's one of the best trem's I've used. They just feel alot more sturdier and are great overall trems.

Last edited by AnDr3wYoN; 05-30-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I second that about the buzzing part, My ZR trem was buzzing badly on a certain saddle. This is sad because I did not use the whammy bar that much and the guitar was not used alot.

I am loving the feel of the edge pro, it feels solid and stays in tune very well. As long as you lubricate the appropriate areas you shouldn't have much trouble.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think that they got it right the first time, the original Edge is my favourite design.

I like the Lo-Pro Edge almost as much, it ust doesn't flutter so well.

The Edge Pro itself is great but needs the locking stud mod over time.

The Edge Zero looks cheap and nasty and from the time I've spent with it, feels cheap and nasty too. I can't help but feel it devalues Ibanez' higher end guitars. It might be extremely functional, but I wouldn't be tempted to spend long enough with it to bother finding out.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgore View Post
As long as you lubricate the appropriate areas you shouldn't have much trouble.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 21

I have yet to use an Edge Zero, but this is my top 3 so far.
1. Edge Pro
2. Lo Pro Edge
3. Original Edge

I really hope Ibanez keeps Edge Pro in production. A full switch to EZ would be a mistake IMO.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM

I can't stand original Edge trems because of the whale tail, but even Floyd Rose himself had to admit the Edge improved upon his design. Cast parts in stead of stamped means more mass and improved flutter over "real" floyds.

EdgePro is nice, adds intonation chips (sorta like the DoubleEdge), but lacks locking studs (essential for stability) also the plastic parts to hold the ball-ends are irrelevant once you string the ball-ends up at the tuners, but those can be removed.

EdgeZero is a Chinese piece of junk, stamped parts in stead of cast string blocks/saddles. Intonation tool screwed into the base, yuk.

Simply put the LoPro Edge is king; everything that's good about the Edge, with a lower profile. Plus the string saddles locks are independent from the fine tuners. The only problem is that it requires a separate intonation tool, but how often does one need that?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM

My favourite ibanez trem is the ZR, by far, however I wish they would stop using the ZPS bar entirely, and give it a bigger sustain block with the money saved from omitting that feature.

This is simply because - 1) I don't use the ZPS bar and never will. 2) the sustain block is too small, and I will soon be embarking upon a project to replace mine with a wider version made of brass.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 13

Lo Pro Edge !!!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Lo Pro Edge !!!
Yeahhh !
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Edge Pro!!!! Well it it beats the ZR's, I have not used the other Edge tremolo's but so far my pro seems to work quite well.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgore View Post
Edge Pro!!!! Well it it beats the ZR's, I have not used the other Edge tremolo's but so far my pro seems to work quite well.
You really should have just posted that, it would have been more helpful to most people. How can you compare against something you haven't tried?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I have already used the ZRtremolo in my S320 for a year and the edge in my 1570 seems to be a better build.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Thats not the point. You can't say something is the best unless you've tried the others. The ZR is a totally different idea, let alone implentation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode