Would you pay more for a guitar with an Original Edge - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Would you pay extra for the original Edge?
No, the Edge Zero is fine for me 8 17.02%
Yes, I've got a few notes extra for an original Edge 39 82.98%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Would you pay more for a guitar with an Original Edge

Following on from my previous poll about whether the Edge Zero is "good enough" or not, I'm curious to see if folks would actually pay more for the same guitar with the original Edge bridge? And if so, by how much?

So in effect I'm asking if the same guitar was available, at a surcharge, with the original Edge bridge (yes you can have locking studs thrown in), would you pay more for it than one with the Edge Zero?

All other specs are identical, pickups, neck, body, finish etc.
jono is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Would you pay more for a guitar with an Original Edge

I said yes, but it would also depend on how much extra we were talking, with all the other specs being the same. Of course, I'd have no problem paying more for the Zero if it was built with the same quality components as the Edge.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Funny question, because it's usually possible to buy a guitar with the same specs (except for maybe the finish) but with a (Lo Pro) Edge for less money, simply by buying a pre-2003 used one

I wouldn't pay more for getting an Edge instead of an Edge Zero. Not because I don't like the Edge or love the Edge Zero, but I just wouldn't 'buy it' in the less literal sense. Wouldn't it mean Ibanez actually agrees with 'everybody' that the Edge is a better trem?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Are you talking about paying more for a brand new Ibanez if Ibanez was to pay all the patents and start putting edge's and lo pros back on their guitars?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Are you talking about paying more for a brand new Ibanez if Ibanez was to pay all the patents and start putting edge's and lo pros back on their guitars?
Essentially, yes. That's exactly what I'm trying to ask.
jono is online  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

I would probably say yes, especially if it was a lo pro.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambram View Post
Funny question, because it's usually possible to buy a guitar with the same specs (except for maybe the finish) but with a (Lo Pro) Edge for less money, simply by buying a pre-2003 used one

I wouldn't pay more for getting an Edge instead of an Edge Zero. Not because I don't like the Edge or love the Edge Zero, but I just wouldn't 'buy it' in the less literal sense. Wouldn't it mean Ibanez actually agrees with 'everybody' that the Edge is a better trem?
The 6 years of wear and tear aren't part of the "identical spec"

Waht I'm asking is whether Ibanez should "buy it" based on whether their potential customers would literally "buy it"
jono is online  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Vendor

All FR patents have expired. It would only cost more in that the manufacture of the trem system cost more, built in Japan as it is/was.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 2

Definitely, as long as they didn't just jack the price up like crazy just because it's 'the original edge' in their marketing schemes.

I wouldn't want to pay much more than whatever it costs them extra to put the Edge on, which isn't all that much to begin with.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All FR patents have expired. It would only cost more in that the manufacture of the trem system cost more, built in Japan as it is/was.
I was not aware of that!!!

In that case what I'm asking is simply based on whatever business reasoning that Ibanez is currently using to determine the Edge Zero is their "bridge of choice"
jono is online  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Vendor

I've asked and the only answer I get is that "Japan is in love with it, they're looking to put it on everything". It doesn't matter what any of us say or think, the only thing that will stop them [IMO] is if sales fall in the toilet and the bridge is the main reason. I've stated my case several times to the right parties, but Japan doesn't care what any of the American employees think anymore. All they want is worker bees in the US, all R&D is centered in Japan now.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Well,.. They listened when we called for maple necks, they listened when neon colors were asked (550 reissue)... who knows...

Anyway, yes I'd pay more for a lo-pro, but not much. I guess I'm just a conservative guy, the new bridges aren't bad in any way.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 PM

This is a good pole, Jono! As I said in the other thread, I've come to realize that an OFR is probably the double locking trem of choice for me. I have a 2550z, and I love it, I have no problems with the EZ, I've just realized that I value having something more standard and simple. I feel this way so far as that's probably all I'm going to consider eligible when I'm buying from now on.

So, if I saw a kick-ass Ibanez that I really wanted, and I could pay more for an original Edge, I would pay more for it. The closer to the OFR end of the "scale" the better! How much? Maybe a couple hundred buck, give or take a hundred? Not much more than the price of a brand new German OFR.

Quote:
I've asked and the only answer I get is that "Japan is in love with it, they're looking to put it on everything". It doesn't matter what any of us say or think, the only thing that will stop them [IMO] is if sales fall in the toilet and the bridge is the main reason. I've stated my case several times to the right parties, but Japan doesn't care what any of the American employees think anymore. All they want is worker bees in the US, all R&D is centered in Japan now.
Wow, I had my suspicions that the Edge Zero must be really popular in Japan, seeing as how it comes in gold on a five grand J Custom. Did they give any particular reason why they seem satisfied with it vs. the problems given around here?

My guess: they're not nearly as resistant to change as US guitarists are. We are quick to point out faults in newer stuff, they're more open to something that's engineered to be an improvement, opinions on whether this is true or not aside, of course. I could be way off since I do think that some don't have any problem with something new, they just think this particular new tremolo sucks.

Last edited by RedTiger; 11-04-2009 at 06:45 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would imagine you're absolutely right and that the market will dictate the future of the Edge Zero.

What I find harder to understand though is why "the powers that be" are so happy with this particular bridge. And I'd absolutely love to know why.

I can seem them being proud of the Lo-Pro edge which was designed to be low profile and then the Edge Pro which was designed to be still further refined along the same lines. But to me (and I don't particularly see myself as resistant to change) I think each bridge has actually been a step away from the core ideals of what a locking bridge has to do.

Hence my Ibanez guitars are usually at least 10 years old...
jono is online  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 AM

Why can't they do something that has the whammy of the original edge, the palm feel of the lo pro, the tuning stability of both those trems, and the ease and accessibility in setting up with the edge zero + made in japan. Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

I really don't want to see the original edge or lo pro popping up on new high end Ibanez guitars. Yes, I love the edge trem, but its a design from 1986. I think that the edge zero is a great design, all they need to do is fine tune it.

The answer to the poll is no. Why would I pay extra $$$ for an old trem on a brand new.. let's say J custom for $2500 when I can go to e bay bay and spend $300 on an equally great playing/feeling guitar with the same trem that you wan't me to spend extra to have on a high end guitar? Please!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode