Would you play . . . - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Which guitar would you prefer for <$100
Great playability, poor quality materials 32 86.49%
Poor playability, ordinary materials 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Would you play . . .

Assume there are two guitars of equal price points. One is made of plywood, but plays great, the other is made of decent alder or ash, but has fret ends sticking out and buzzes a bit, etc. (general poor finishing). Thats the poll.

But the follow up is . . . are there companies that make guitars out of really sketch wood that play great? And not just great, but excellent? And squiers and epi's don't count - this would be a sub-$100 guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM

Re: Would you play . . .

i would choose playability as long as the two sounded the same. to me, playability and sound quality are the two most important things. if i find a $50 no-name that plays good and sounds good, then im spendin $50. (not likely, but you get the point). i dont really care about materials as long as it sounds good and wont fall apart. ha ha.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Definitely good materials and poor playability. I can easily fix sharp fret ends and uneven frets to make it playable.

I've got a Squier Strat I use for traveling. It plays like a dream (after I fixed it up), but even with Dimarzio pickups there's something about the sound that's just too generic for me. When I play it side by side with my PRS it's like a night and day difference, tone wise.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Great playability HANDS DOWN! I don't mind cheap and good brand as well
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Reviews: 1

I went for good playability.

As for your followup...

Danelectro

It is literally plywood!

http://www.danelectro.com/index.html

I can't find the actual plywood model in there, but I know it exists as my guitar tutor has one. It's actually plywood! And it sounds great!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
I went for good playability.

As for your followup...

Danelectro

It is literally plywood!

http://www.danelectro.com/index.html

I can't find the actual plywood model in there, but I know it exists as my guitar tutor has one. It's actually plywood! And it sounds great!
LOL! It's frigging classic.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I voted for playability, but its because I'm no good at fixing bad frets etc.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 AM

I voted for playability.

1. Because if you have to physically struggle with a guitar there is no way that you'll be able to get into the actual artistic part of it.

2. Playing better is sounding better, regardless of your gear you'll sound like crap if your playing is crap. It's easier to play on an easier playing guitar.

I must preface this next one by saying, that I am in no way trying to diminish the craftsmanship or the quality of any guitar. I'm also very keen on beautiful woods and I know there is a sonic difference in tone woods that is more than subtle.

3. Many times (not always) a lot of things about the most popular or most exotic and expensive guitars are overly hyped. I believe there is something about them that is great and many of the differences and benefits of those guitars do exist. However, I think it has been talked up over the years and now has been blown out of proportion. That has trickled down into the community and now we can sometimes be sold on something because of the sum of its parts instead of the product as a whole.

This, in my opinion is behind what sells a Dean or Schecter guitar. Mahogany body, maple/mahogany neck, figured tops, neck through construction, DiMarzio or Duncan PUPs. Sounds great especialy for the price, but to me they feel cheap and aren't well made enough to be worth the money.

Same with a few Gibsons, however many more Gibsons do feel great and are made with absolute precision and can be wonderful, they just have a problem here and there with QC. But I've said many times before that can be avoided if you just play and inspect the guitar you buy before you buy it like any person with common sense would.

If you disagree with me that's fine. If your Dean or Schecter is amazing then I'm happy for you and I would love to be proved wrong someday.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

great playability.i look after my guitars and gear so even though it would be made out of crap materials,the chances of being damaged are vertualy zero
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM

I'll take a nice playing no namer made out of plywood over a brand name turd made out of expensive "tonewood" any day.

Rock on!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
I'll take a nice playing no namer made out of plywood over a brand name turd made out of expensive "tonewood" any day.

Rock on!
There you go man. You said what took me paragraphs in one sentence.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:05 PM

I voted materials, I can fix playability myself.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Seems easy to me. Get the one with better quality parts and take it to a tech.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 AM

i didn't vote, there was no "Tone" option

Rob
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Assume there are two guitars of equal price points. One is made of plywood, but plays great, the other is made of decent alder or ash, but has fret ends sticking out and buzzes a bit, etc. (general poor finishing). Thats the poll.
If the premise is that the fret ends/buzzes etc are all the problem is then I would always go with materials. Most guitars can be made to play well.

I bought a Mania guitar a few years ago for not much money, but it is thruneck, with laminate construction etc etc and abalone markers. It has a crap floyd and the pu's aren't great, but they can all be changed.

Yes it needed a setup and could now do with some fretwork, but for the money it is great.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/ne...ighlight=mania

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode