Yankees in first place...for good though? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Yankees?
YES...All the way in 2009! 5 35.71%
YES, and on to the post season, but no World Series win! 2 14.29%
NO way they make it anywhere! 0 0%
No, but they'll make the wild card... 0 0%
2 new and different teams in the series would be nice... 1 7.14%
No new hardtail Jems 5 35.71%
Carrots 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Yankees in first place...for good though?

I vote yes and then on to the world series where they will kick the crud out of The Phillies...

That's my early prediction...Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Yankees in first place...for good though?

I'm English, so baseball isn't really my thing...

Thus, no more hardtail JEMs thanks
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Yankees in first place...for good though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm English, so baseball isn't really my thing...

Thus, no more hardtail JEMs thanks
That was one of the reasons I put that selection on there...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I do think the Yankees have a cool logo though
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Yankees are looking great.
If the Rangers can keep winning, it will bump Boston out of the Wild Card.

But what do you think will be the hype , if the Yankees play the Dodgers on the World Series?

I love the Yankees, but hate Steinbrenner.
I love Torre, but not a fan of the Dodgers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 PM

I hate the Yankees. Life-long Tigers fan here.
I should point out that my hatred for the Yankees isn't so much as for their team, but as their place as pop-culture icons. I think I really hate the logo, because thanks to rappers, everybody has a Yankees hat and dumb crap like that. Most of the people that where the logo don't even watch baseball. See, that's what pisses me off. I'm a hometown sports fan. And most sports fans I know are also. It actually kind of sickens me that Someone from Arizona or Colorado or Minnesota would be running around wearing gear from a team in another state. I have roots in Detroit sports, and for better or worse (or much worse in the case of the Lions) I cannot conceivably see myself rooting for any other team. I can't even really watch games not featuring my teams.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
I hate the Yankees. Life-long Tigers fan here.
I should point out that my hatred for the Yankees isn't so much as for their team, but as their place as pop-culture icons. I think I really hate the logo, because thanks to rappers, everybody has a Yankees hat and dumb crap like that. Most of the people that where the logo don't even watch baseball. See, that's what pisses me off. I'm a hometown sports fan. And most sports fans I know are also. It actually kind of sickens me that Someone from Arizona or Colorado or Minnesota would be running around wearing gear from a team in another state. I have roots in Detroit sports, and for better or worse (or much worse in the case of the Lions) I cannot conceivably see myself rooting for any other team. I can't even really watch games not featuring my teams.
I get what you're saying, and I agree...What I really hate are the different colored sports items. Like red or green Yankee hats WTF!! The colors are supposed to be Navy and White...I don't mind so much people in far away places rooting for the Yankees, because television and foreign players make it easier to access and to relate to these days...I do hate fair weather fans though. Guys who suddenly root for the Mets or Red Sox because they start winning or doing good!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Sickboy.
The Yankees and Braves always had large fanbasses because in the past Cable sucked and those teams were all some people had access to. As a kid growing up they were the only teams I could see play.

That is another reason Notre Dame had fans all over the country. Before cable, they were the only team on Saturday TV. I can't stand ND.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Sickboy.
The Yankees and Braves always had large fanbasses because in the past Cable sucked and those teams were all some people had access to. As a kid growing up they were the only teams I could see play.

That is another reason Notre Dame had fans all over the country. Before cable, they were the only team on Saturday TV. I can't stand ND.
I understand what you are trying to say, but before cable, I was still able to see a majority of Tigers games on local TV, and I live in a backwoods community, and the Tigers spent many years as one of the worst teams in baseball.

What I was complaining about was the fact that most people who root for the Yankees where I'm from aren't real baseball fans or are fair weather fans. Or in this day and age of Sportscenter, people who seem to root for players rather than teams. People who wear Yankees hats because they like A Rod and not because they care about the team as a whole.
The part that really makes me mad is that I think MLB would like to see the Yankees in the World Series every year, because the advertisers will give more money. And that's what sucks about pro-sports in general. It's not about good teams anymore, it's about which teams will give the most exposure and earn the most profit. That, and sports seem to be all about offense these days. Gone are the glory days of football, hockey, and basketball, where real men beat the crap out of eachother for a couple of hours. But I don't even want to open that can of worms right now.

That turned into a rant, I apologize.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM

Having two parents who are both baseball fans, and one is from the Philly-influenced South Jersey and the other from NYC, I'm screwed if the Yankees play the Phillies. I'm diehard for both teams. As long as it's not the Sux, I'll be alright.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Yanks all the way

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Yanks all the way

I knew I liked that guy for some reason.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Yankees suck
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
Yankees suck...
at being unsuccessful!

I guess you must have forgotten to finish your sentence. Figured I'd lend a hand. You have to watch those incomplete sentences.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode