are you happy with your job as a musician? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your job as a professional musician?
Yes 6 75.00%
No 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation are you happy with your job as a musician?

Hey guys! I'm a student from cyprus, i study jazz-music performance
at the university of nicosia (http://www.unic.ac.cy/) and i need your
help to finish my research paper untill that monday (14/10/09)

The question is: Are you happy with your job as a professional musician?

Please vote simply what do you belevie about it, and for sure there's no need to show your self or something,
BUT if you like to, you can help more if you share your problems about - or the good things about your job;
as a professional musician of course!

Thank you a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Re: are you happy with your job as a musician?

Live performance is therapy for me, keeps me sane. I like the fact that I am part of the crew that keeps the party going and I get paid to do it, bonus.

~Bones
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 21

I'd be happier if people would buy my records and support me on a tour of Europe, Asia, North, and South America! :P
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Reviews: 2

It's a job you only do because you love. The money isn't great (unless you're one of a very lucky few) and the hours are ****, you don't get to see your family enough, people are constantly ****ting on you and it's HARD work.

But there is absolutely nothing like the thrill of getting on stage and having an audience respond to you. One good show makes it more than worth all the above crap.

However, I have been teaching mostly as spending time with the woman is of paramount importance. But I've been putting a band together over the past 5-6ish months and we will see where it takes us. Maybe I'll change my anwser in a year when it won't help you any. Haha.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm not a professional musician so I didn't vote so as not to affect the poll, but... I prefer to keep guitar as a hobby these days. Work has enough pressure without adding pressure from my hobbies!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I'd be happier if people would buy my records and support me on a tour of Europe, Asia, North, and South America! :P
hmmmm yeah i know! maybe you have to provide your music thru emailing - myspace - youtube - sound click - HERE! conspiracy it's the bad chapter here! makin a record for a long time, puting your expirience from a long time ago into it without responce it's very shi-ty ;\
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm not a professional musician so I didn't vote so as not to affect the poll, but... I prefer to keep guitar as a hobby these days. Work has enough pressure without adding pressure from my hobbies!!!
;\ yeah dude! i unterstand your point here! every musician today have to have severals jobs or teaching music - playing music and more! ok life isn't easy of course....we have to make clear few things before go to study!

thank you for your comment!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM

I was actually joking. I'm actually quite happy with being a regular Joe. I'm just happy home PC recording thing happened and that I can make all the dream records I have in my head. Making music is not my job but I've, honestly, never been happier as a musician as I have been the last few years.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by g.milko; 12-13-2009 at 11:56 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM

I'm a little surprised that two have responded so far saying they are not professional musicians. It will be interesting to see the trend in this thread. One thing I am always surprised about is how it seems that so many on the internet who express an interest in something also evetually see the desire/need to make it their career and life!

For example, one of my hobbies is combat flight sims. It never ceases to amaze me at how many of my fellow flight simmers are either engineers, mechanics, or even real military pilots. If they aren't already, many decide to have a career in these areas based on their love for flight sims. A discussion about a flight sim can and often will develope into very techical "shop talk" about physics or engineering since that's what these guys do for a living.

Me? Hobbies are hobbies. I have zero desire to make anything I do for fun and enjoyment also what I do as work. This is probably why I'm a business major interested in an MBA and not a PhD in business, a liberal arts or a science discipline. Mixing things that I'm interested in and do for fun with a work environment and all that jazz is a no-no for me. Work is work. Play is play.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

and money is money
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM

I think the flight sim analogy is a tad different. A flying jet is physics in motion. I like flight sims and have an engineering background (somewhat). I sometimes tend to envision changes in speed and direction by thinking of an airplane (or other object) in flight. I think something similar can be said for cars. Lots of science and physics there. Hell, I think lots of car guys know a good deal of physics without even realizing it!
Getting somewhat back on-topic, yeah, guitar is a hobby for me but I like to approach it professionally. If I show up to play a show, I take it seriously and try to put on a good show. And I've been paid once or twice too. LOL! Also (and it might sound dumb) but I've always approaced my own skill level on the instrument in terms of, say, if I could pass a Frank Zappa audition. (Hypothetically speaking, of course. This would be a little difficult to accomplish now.) I don't think I'm at that level yet but that's more a personal growth thing anyway.
Ultimately, I play for my own personal enjoyment. There was a time where it became like a job and I ended up disliking it so much I stopped playing entirely for 3-4 years.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.milko View Post
and money is money
That much is truth, at least.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM

I liked it as a job in the late 70's-early 80's, when it was my one and only job. I was young then though (and single, and childless...)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: are you happy with your job as a musician?

yeah....family it's another one huge chapter in musician's life ;\
maybe i have to work on it too!

p.s: please guys vote your opinion because i need to know

Tags
job , money , musician , musicians , professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode