Are you a post whore? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Are you a post whore?
Yes 6 14.29%
No 25 59.52%
Sorry, I didn't bother to read the post - I just came in here for another post credit. 12 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Are you a post whore?

I see this on a lot of forums. Guys posting just for the sake of getting a high post count. Sometimes they have something interesting to say, but usually not. There's a guy on one forum I go to whose screen name is "Hi". His most common post, it seems, is just the word "Hi." It's amusing, but hardly a valid contribution. Does this sound like you? And if so, what's your motivation? This poll doesn't even have to apply to THIS forum. Maybe you're that prolific on other forums?

If you don't know what a post whore is, see below...

From urbandictionary.com
1. A newbie to an online forum who goes into overtime posting many short and usually meaningless posts in an attempt to raise their post count to pass the newbie stage ASAP.

2. A type of trolling or board saboteur where the intent of the person is to invade the forum with an annoying presence.

3. A person who is starving for attention in real life and compensates for their shortcomings in society by living in a forum and inserting their presence across the board everyday and sometimes all day. As soon as their post count breaches the highest recorded for the forum, they often begin to post frequently on the direction the board should take. It is not uncommon to see their avatars change frequently often with a theme of power. Forum members will begin to try to put the member in check but to no avail as the person is feeding off of their imaginary power to which they compensate for their lack of real world activity.

4. A person, who feels their higher post count gives them added credibility in the forum, even over people who have contributed for much longer and as such they go to great lengths to increase their post count.

5. A post whore is a virtual attention whore. The attention whore brings the same attitude into online forums where they assert their “look at me” persona by invading the board with a large presence of posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Re: Are you a post whore?

Clearly, I am.
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone View Post
Clearly, I am.
Lmao. You, sir, are the antithesis of a post whore. It probably killed you to hit 342!
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Not really, I used to post a lot more than I do these days, but 'back in the day' my Kung fu was much stronger than it is today and I could usually answer a lot of the obscure RG questions. These days I have trouble telling Prestige from Premium from what have you. I like the black ones though
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 11

Hi.....
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM

In my opinion, this forum has seen so much info about the Jem/UV line, that it's hard to find more useful and interesting things to say about them. Over the years I have lost interest in these models, or gained interest in other guitars if you like. To me, this forum is very different than most "up to date" forums.

That said, I do not know how many posts I got, so I guess that means I should start paying attention and post more.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Penguin isn't here anymore.....LOL.

post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
Hi.....
...lol...2 funny...wait, does that make me a post whore ;o)

But seriously, one of the things that makes Jemsite a great place to hang out is that it is a large community here with lots of activity on threads. For me personally, I try to post on most new stuff posts (NGD, NAD, etc.) cuz if someone posts about something new then they are probably pretty excited about their new stuff and it's fun to share in that excitement cuz we all get GAS...although I'll admit that if someone buys something that I have no interest in then I generally stay out and hope that someone who actually likes the new acquisition will chime in cuz it is a little disappointing if you post about something new that you're excited about and nobody chimes in =0

other than that I stay out of the thread if I don't have something to add but again having lots of activity makes for a healthy forum imho.

think I'll go say hi on another thread... ;o)
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
...lol...2 funny...wait, does that make me a post whore ;o)

But seriously, one of the things that makes Jemsite a great place to hang out is that it is a large community here with lots of activity on threads. For me personally, I try to post on most new stuff posts (NGD, NAD, etc.) cuz if someone posts about something new then they are probably pretty excited about their new stuff and it's fun to share in that excitement cuz we all get GAS...although I'll admit that if someone buys something that I have no interest in then I generally stay out and hope that someone who actually likes the new acquisition will chime in cuz it is a little disappointing if you post about something new that you're excited about and nobody chimes in =0

other than that I stay out of the thread if I don't have something to add but again having lots of activity makes for a healthy forum imho.

think I'll go say hi on another thread... ;o)
I agree! When someone posts an NGD thread--it's like the rest of us get to share the NGD.

post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 AM

Reviews: 13

I really managed to get some posts out pretty fast - I flew to 1000 odd posts in seven years.......5 years prior to that spent lurking

I actually don't know how some manage to get to a high number of post so quick even when all the are posting is 'hi'.

-Wolfram
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM

Talking Re: Are you a post whore?

not

I have Jemsite on my feed/news reader (netvibes), so I browse all the topics everyday and read the ones that are interesting. Most of the day I won't log on my account and just read the topics.

Wow, just got me thinking how long I've been here...I was a forumer from the old days...I think 98 or so...damn!! Time flies

Even thou the forum is not that busy these days, I still love the place
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
. . . For me personally, I try to post on most new stuff posts (NGD, NAD, etc.) cuz if someone posts about something new then they are probably pretty excited about their new stuff and it's fun to share in that excitement cuz we all get GAS.. . . . . .
Ha, that's me too, I bet half of my posts are along the lines of, "sweet guitar!" or "congratulations!"

Peace

Mike
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM

There's a good community here, with a very, very good cool to tool ratio. Most regular posters actually have something interesting to say.

Thankyou to our mods and fellow members. Other forums are not this lucky.

Rock on!
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
There's a good community here, with a very, very good cool to tool ratio. Most regular posters actually have something interesting to say.

Thankyou to our mods and fellow members. Other forums are not this lucky.

Rock on!

That's why I'm on here and not ss.org or anything, most posters actually use their brain, and there are very little incidences between members. The mods do a good job for sure.
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Posting to see my post count.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode