Are you a promiscuous guitar owner? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Are you a promiscuous guitar owner?
No, I'm a predator, I own as many guitars as I can. 18 75.00%
Yes, I can love only one guitar. 5 20.83%
Go find a psychiatrist, dude! You schizophrenic! 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Unhappy Are you a promiscuous guitar owner?

Just like that man who loves his woman, and he can have no other woman, I do love my guitar (currently an UV7BK), and I can have no other guitar.

And I sometimes feel annoyed by this, mainly when I see things like this one:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ho...own-13900.html

Hey, when I think about having another guitar, I feel bad, like cheating. Maybe I have some kind of guitar-related disturb.

So are all of you people guitar-wise promiscuous??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: Are you a promiscuous guitar owner?

Are you a promiscuous guitar owner? YES I AM and can love more then one should be the correct selection ??

I think you misunderstand the word Promiscuous

MEANING: characterized by or involving indiscriminate mingling or association, especially having sexual relations with a number of partners on a casual basis.

Or in this case Guitars..
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM

OK, the devil inside me saying that I must buy or collect any guitar that look sweet to me.
but the bank account says the opposite.

Seriously, We can have tons of guitar, but there is always one... just one guitar that you can always count on.
It's like having many mistresses, but only having one wife.

For me, it's the RGR1220.

Right now, I'm trying... yes I'm trying, dude... to slimmed down my collection.
I want a small but meaningful and playable collection, rather than large but no meaning collection.
I'd say keeping just 6-8 is just perfect.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM

your poll is messed up. It asks a : "Are you a promiscuous guitar owner?"

Answers
No, I'm a predator, I own as many guitars as I can.
Yes, I can love only one guitar.
Go find a psychiatrist, dude! You schizophrenic!

It should be Yes I'm a predator I own as many as I can. Im a real gear whore
No Im monogamous with my true love guitar
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM

The more the merrier!!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM

+1000 the more the merrier!! Like csn said if you cant be with the one you love then love the one your with. I know I cant help myself at a garage sale or pawn shop that has a guitar no matter how bad I always feel compelled to pick it up!!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I don't love dead things.
In fact I couldn't care less about them.
They're expensive here so I take good care and try to keep them new.
The world is what it's because the majority love dead things like diamonds,mansions,ferraris etc
A guitar is just a tool to make music
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM

For me, I find that having a well balanced mix of guitars are key, different tunings, backup purposes, various tones and sounds, etc.

With that being said, Picasso didn't own just one paint brush..

In the recent years, I have learned to shed down my herd, rather than buying that next guitar just to put it in the collection. Like many I've talked to, it's an addiction, and yes I have been there. When GAS sets in, it consumes everything just to have that fix. Once the new one arrives, a sigh of relief, then the next one comes along and repeat. I've learned that once I have a handful of guitars for various purposes, being some collector pieces or not, having just one guitar is hard to do. This does work for some, getting that one guitar, and owning it for a while, or perhaps for a little while and sell/trade up to a different one, keeping only one.

What's that famous question:
How many guitars does a guitarist need?

Answer: just one more!

I find all that silly in my recent days, but to each his own.. Personally, a good handful is sufficient. The number; that depends on the need, gigging musician or light player, teacher, etc..
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 11

I currently have a few guitars. They are all in different states of repair, and ALL are different in some way. Each has their own purpose so to speak.

As much as you think you can, you arent getting strat tones out of a universe. You arent getting universe tones out of a JS. You arent getting les paul tones from an RG. You arent getting JEM tones from an RG. Etc etc.

I, personally, think its silly to have EVERY color combination of the same guitar, but if I had the moolah for it, Id have a few more guitars simply for intrinisic value. For example, Id murder for a jem77gmc and a jem7vsbl, but I cant justify buying them right now. Maybe if i think my herd down again...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
The world is what it's because the majority love dead things like diamonds,mansions,ferraris etc
I don't think most people actually love dead things. People want and like material things and sometimes, when people value material things more than life we have the problems you are referring to. I think guitars are more than just a tool they are also works of art and as such I like to collect them as well as play them.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Are you a promiscuous guitar owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
But I assume you love the music you make, right?

Out of the passion you put into your music, that should transcend the relationship between you and the guitar... How do you make music an emotional connection if you are using dead things?

Not unlike a canvas to an artist, or a block of marble that gets sculpted into a thing of beauty...The artist somehow puts himself into his art, and bonds with it...The tools are just as important as the thought!

I think you miss the true meaning of music and the relationship one has with it! I love you 6F, but your postings on this topic always make me wonder if you are devoid of the ability to really connect.

The air cannot be seen, yet it can carry the scent of a lilac across the yard on a breeze, and you can close your eyes and connect with that moment. The scent is (according to your interpretation) "dead"...Yet one can be moved by it's ability to connect with a sense of some long forgotten "dead" memory...It's these connections that make us human. The tree is alive but does not connect with things the way man does!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Nope, I'm not that promiscuous. I only sleep with one guitar a week.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
your poll is messed up. (...)
It should be Yes I'm a predator I own as many as I can. Im a real gear whore
Yeah, I noticed it after clicking the damn "Submit" button.

BTW, there are some great answers here LOL !!!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
But I assume you love the music you make, right?

Out of the passion you put into your music, that should transcend the relationship between you and the guitar... How do you make music an emotional connection if you are using dead things?

Not unlike a canvas to an artist, or a block of marble that gets sculpted into a thing of beauty...The artist somehow puts himself into his art, and bonds with it...The tools are just as important as the thought!

I think you miss the true meaning of music and the relationship one has with it! I love you 6F, but your postings on this topic always make me wonder if you are devoid of the ability to really connect.

The air cannot be seen, yet it can carry the scent of a lilac across the yard on a breeze, and you can close your eyes and connect with that moment. The scent is (according to your interpretation) "dead"...Yet one can be moved by it's ability to connect with a sense of some long forgotten "dead" memory...It's these connections that make us human. The tree is alive but does not connect with things the way man does!
To make music I connect to nature,to people and to feelings they give me,guitars are just in the way of translating them to audio so they're a tool.
I'll never love or be connected to a dead peace of wood, I prefer living things and feelings they can bring me, the only thing guitars bring me is a hole in my pocket cause they're expensive here.
If somebody stole my guitar I'll just buy another one, you can't do that with living things.Crying or suffering because somebody stole my dead guitar..........NEVER.

I cannot imagine a constructor connected to a hammer.Imagine a huge and strong guy holding his hammer tight hahahahahahahahahha
Tools are supose to translate what we feel/want to something, if people are connected to hammers, paint brushes, guitars etc, they should redirect their connections to things that are actually..............alive.
I use a telephone to talk to people I love but I'm in no way connected to a phone, it's just a tool
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Reviews: 21

Yes, I love this term.
I believe I am. I don't like one particular type of guitar eactly. One day the main player will be the RG1570. The next day it'll be the Destroyer. Currently I've been on the RG7321 a lot. I guess some people want a guitar to be one certain way exactly but I like a little change here and there.

Tags
guitar promiscuous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode