Are you really bothered that Ibanez aren't providing flashy axes? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Are you truly bothered that Ibanez aren't offering neons/maple/etc.?
Yes 65 59.09%
No 45 40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Are you really bothered that Ibanez aren't providing flashy axes?

I was just thinking... once upon a time, every guitar I owned was an Ibanez, without exception. I looked at my collection the other day and realised that out of my main 'keeper' guitars, only TWO of them (out of about 6, not including acoustics) were in fact an Ibanez.

Lot's of people ask for maple boards and bright colours, but is that just our nostalgia kicking in (apart from the odd person)? or do you think it's time to move on?

Personally, Ibanez don't really have anything left for me outside of the odd model here and there. That's not a dig at Ibanez, that's my personal choice. Now I wouldn't just *leave* a brand for good, if they had a guitar that I liked I'd buy it regardless, but it seems like what most people are asking for just isn't happening and is available elsewhere.

Put plainly, I want to see how many of you are sticking with Ibanez despite the fact that they haven't done anything particularly flashy (outside of the RG20ths) in years? Let's see in numbers how many people are truly bothered that they aren't providing flashing guitars (no, the Gigier stuff ISN'T flashy. )

Please keep it civil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Dee

Re: Are you really bothered that Ibanez aren't providing flashy axes?

I voted no. I want better designs, more options for pickups and fretboards, etc., but there are enough neons out there already now that the RG 20th was re-released for anyone to to satisfy that fix. Like yourself, there's only one or two models I would consider buying.

Ibanez are still playing it safe in some ways, and making downright ugly guitars in others. Anyone who doesn't agree that things could be much better, well, I don't understand you. Maybe you have your head somewhere the sun don't shine.

PS: I don't consider the RG 20th "flashy" at all. 2 out of 3 of them have a bright finish, but underneath they're a very basic, well-constructed guitar. Not a flashy one. Now a JEM VWH, that's flashy.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 PM

The "bread and butter" guitars should be offered in no less than 5 color choices. These would include the bottom to middle of the Prestige line - RG1570, RG2550, RG2570, RGA121, RGA321, etc. Look at the USA Standard and Vintage Strats and Les Paul Standards.

I would also bring back the RG1550 with maple board and offer it in 5 colors with a nice vintage sunburst over alder body option.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM

+1 for no

I kinda agree with Dee, I would like to see more innovation and less of the signature gutars (5 of the 12 endorsees have to have their respective band names listed as your average punter aint ever heard of the guy )

I too, would also like to see more options available for the stock line of models. How practical that is, I've no idea as I don't mass manufacture guitars for a living. But I would love to see something completely off the wall, like a model having a graphite / composite neck or whatever, rather than having a stock model with some half ar*ed neck inlay and a pair of emg's and then passed off as the 'Joe Blow' signature model.

To my mid the RG body shape is *the best* design ever and I love my 550 to death, but as I look to add to my collection I'm sad to say that Ibanez aren't at the top of the list anymore.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Are you really bothered that Ibanez aren't providing flashy axes?

I will never forget opening up Circus magazine and seeing a black and white picture of the 77fp, 87 or 88. Even in black and white it was the most beautiful guitar I ever saw. About a year later I bought it after bugging the crap out of the local music store that had it displayed proudly. I paid around $1300- for it, and was never happier with a guitar. I have seen a decline in standards at Ibanez, and wish things would turn around! Yes, I like the flashy looking guitars, and I like the Floyd Rose, which is how I voted. A guitar is not only an extension of the player but a focal point as well. Nothing worse for me, than seeing a dude in black shirt black pants and a black guitar. Be a little interesting. The Alex Laiho Jackson even has pink pinstripe on it and I don't think anyone thinks he's any less a man for it...or do they? I went to the Paradise Guitar site and they look awesome, i think they are onto something...something I wish Ibanez would do

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 12-29-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: thought of something else
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I voted no. I want better designs, more options for pickups and fretboards, etc.,

Ibanez are still playing it safe in some ways.

PS: I don't consider the RG 20th "flashy" at all. 2 out of 3 of them have a bright finish, but underneath they're a very basic, well-constructed guitar. Not a flashy one. Now a JEM VWH, that's flashy.
I agree with these points, but I voted yes, taking the whole neon thing to extend to anything besides black, dark grey and dark blue. I think that it is literally that Ibanez are playing it so safe at the moment that makes folks like me, who see the guitar as a fun thing and not an outlet for my angst, anger or other negative emotion, want something that might have SSH pickups and come in I don't know say erm lamborghini metallic orange. Its not neon, but it's stil not an HSH matte black guitar.

I also really agree with the Dee's statement that the RG20th was above all a fantastic rock guitar, that happened to be availalbe in retina-scarring colours.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Don't take things so literal, you know what I mean.

It's flashIER than:

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Don't take things so literal, you know what I mean.

It's flashIER than:

The black RG20ths about the same, and doesn't the RG1570 come in those two sparkly holoflake midnight blue and midnight red colours which if you hit them with a spotlight (no, not literally ) really light up
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

The RG20th observation was a passing comment without thinking people would take it so literally, end of.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Point taken - and granted, the flasky RG1570s have only been out for a very short time which may be part of the same "lets do something a bit (but only a bit in this case) flashier than last year" attitude that saw the RG20s in the bright colours released. If it wasn't for the 20s, we may have had black, dark black and matte black on the RG1570
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Maybe it's just me, but lately (like the last year) I have been really wanting to just get a nice burled top classy guitar, oiled neck, with some piezos. I had been thinking PRS Modern Eagle (no piezo), but lately I am leaning more towards a McNaught Phoenix (w/out the gaudy inlays) with a fixed bridge and the piezos. Throw in a Cornford MK II head and a few analog pedals. No idea why I have been leaning toward the more "earthy" boutique thing, maybe I am just getting older. Don't get me wrong, I love my swirls to death, but those and maybe the Rainforest or a Donnie are the only Ibanez guitars I have ever 'really' wanted.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Put plainly, I want to see how many of you are sticking with Ibanez despite the fact that they haven't done anything particularly flashy (outside of the RG20ths) in years? Let's see in numbers how many people are truly bothered that they aren't providing flashing guitars (no, the Giger stuff ISN'T flashy. )
What I will say is though that the only guitars in the 2007 lineup I was interested in were the JEM7WVH, the JS1200 and erm well yes.

I stick with Ibanez, but most of the guitars I'm hunting for are probably 10 or so years old by now.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
The Alex Laiho Jackson even has pink pinstripe on it and I don't think anyone thinks he's any less a man for it...or do they?
Err...

Sorry, continue.

...I voted no by the way. I'm more bothered about the monotony of the features rather than colours.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 PM

Reviews: 25

Please the JEM VWH was the death of the flashy Ibanez Jem, White and gold with that ugly scratchplate. I was so dissapointed in Vai and Ibanez when that white monstrosity came out. White is the color of many guitars, fluro pink yellow and green are not. Still don't know why they didn't release a neon blue Jem and not that blue sparkle crap.

Ibanez made their name because of bold statements in their colors, and that is a formula that they should stick to.....

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 12-29-2007 at 08:48 PM.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
Err...

Sorry, continue.

...I voted no by the way. I'm more bothered about the monotony of the features rather than colours.
I can't stop laughing at that picture...good find for you bad example by me...i still like the florals and neons though

Tags
alder body , beautiful guitar , body shape , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge trem , electric guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , jem vwh , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , local music shop , local music store , locking stud , locking studs , maple neck , music store , neck inlay , prs modern eagle , road flare red , squier strat , steve vai , swirled jem , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode