Yuppie's choice awards - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Who is the ultimate yuppie performer?
Wayne Newton 0 0%
Tom Jones 0 0%
Josh Groban 1 33.33%
Joe Bonamassa 2 66.67%
Barry Manilow 0 0%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Yuppie's choice awards

Who do you consider the ultimate, middle class yuppie performer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Yuppie's choice awards

I don't get the question and options? How does joe bonamassa wind up in the same category as Barry manilow. Sorry but I don't get it =[
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I don't get the question and options? How does joe bonamassa wind up in the same category as Barry manilow. Sorry but I don't get it =[
Probably no two popular yuppie favorites will be all that similar other than the demographic they tend to attract. I don't think any artist up and coming thought, "Gee, I want to be a yuppie star one day!"

I should have put Kenny G. Somehow certain smooth, easy listening platinum artists seem to go together. I see Joe as a guitarist version of Kenny G with a certain demographic. They both, imho, have expert musicianship but not a lot of soul. I read a great article on yuppie preferences, from Volvo/Saab to Harley, and from high end racing bikes to Joe Bonamassa. It's not so much that the artist or product chooses to be popular among yuppies but that yuppies choose them.

Other musicians I would like to mention, in my experience, are Phil Collins, John Tesh, Sarah Brightman, Lionel Ritchie, Chris Botti, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr. and John Mayer. They tend to get onto KQED musical specials. Yuppie flavored or not, they are certainly not going to be mistaken for alt rock, folk, or djent.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-15-2013 at 12:54 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I see Joe as a guitarist version of Kenny G with a certain demographic. They both, imho, have expert musicianship but not a lot of soul)
Joe Bonamassa is the guitarist version of Kenny G?!?! ....with not a lot of soul!?!? Sorry man but I couldn't disagree more...are you actually familiar with Joe's plaing and music? There is no disrespect intended here because I really don't want to derail your thread in any way and I've seen you post in many other threads and you seem like a cool guy but I really don't get where you are coming from on this one...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Joe Bonamassa is the guitarist version of Kenny G?!?! ....with not a lot of soul!?!? Sorry man but I couldn't disagree more...are you actually familiar with Joe's plaing and music? There is no disrespect intended here because I really don't want to derail your thread in any way and I've seen you post in many other threads and you seem like a cool guy but I really don't get where you are coming from on this one...
I think that Joe is probably one of the most technically adept players out there. I just don't get an emotional charge from his playing like I do from lesser technicians out there. Anyway, some comments on these two links outline what I tend to feel about Joe:

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/newy...as-landed.html

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/side...-only-one.html

Also, while I believe some guitarists who are technical may lack in soul, some have improved on the soul department and picked that up in their arsenal. When I think of early technicians with a big emphasis on the "T" in technician, it's early Joe Satriani. During that time I still liked the soul of Eddie Van Halen or Carlos Santana more and wished Satch could slow down some and do some more soulful stuff. As time went on, Satiani started to venture more into the feel of his playing and got that soul. It reminded me of the tin man who wanted a heart and finally got it. I don't doubt Bonamassa can do the same and redeem himself in the eyes of those who think he is only a great technician. Another great technician imho is John Mayer but I find him lacking in the soul that I found in early Clapton or BB King. My ultimate guitar solos for "soul" would be "Comfortably Numb" from David Gilmour or "Crossroads" from Cream. There are many others but I tend to like pre-rock guitar stuff, 50-70s rock, and that's what moves me but very little from later years. I don't know if this has to do with where the music business headed but I would rather listen to Carole King on her piano than Lady Gaga on hers even though they both sing and play beautifully.

I hope it's not a generational thing where I sound like the Baby Boomer saying, "The music in my day was much better than today's music". Even the metal I listened to like Metallica on their first three albums is much more interesting to me than the latest heavy stuff coming out of the djent scene even though I consider early speed metal and current djent just as creative equally.

I read an interesting article on how Rascal Flatts were the new "Eagles". While they have some great sounding stuff and totally remind me a lot of the Eagles at their peak, I still prefer Don Henley and company so much more. A lot of the key stuff in my life growing up corresponded with me going through puberty and being an Eagles fan. That builds a powerful bond and even if Rascal Flatts are the new Eagles, or even better, I don't think anything will replace the feeling of losing a high school girlfriend and listening to "Desperado". Some may find that a cheesy song and laugh at it but it has that special meaning for me and makes it hard to objectively criticize that song. Even stuff that a lot of people consider uber cheesy, like the Knack, came at a time in my youth that is so tied to their Sharona album that I will always hold that dear to my heart. They were compared to the Beatles in 1979 and broke some early concert and record album sales records, but to me they were the Beatles or the closest thing to pop magic for that year. A few years later, nobody wanted to hear anything from the Knack and they were largely seen as a joke in the music world. The Knack didn't stand the test of time even though at their peak, they seemed invincible.

Joe Bonamassa is arguably in his best year(s) and flying high, and time will only tell if he's one of the greats like a Clapton or Hendrix. There's no doubt he's a nice guy and comes to my small town of 1600 people to hang out in the vintage music store and jam with customers, and I find that totally cool. He even gave a guitar to the store and signed it. There's no doubt that the music business considers him one of the "nice guys" and that in itself has a lot of merit. I wouldn't want to hang out with difficult people like Anton from the Brian Jonestown Massacre but you don't have anybody out there questioning if he has creativity, soul, or passion. You could be a nice person and still be super creative and passionate in all that you do, but the industry is still full of a lot of terrible/difficult people who happen to be geniuses and as long as all I have to do is listen to their music then I am fine.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Mumford and Sons
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Colour me confused too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM

JB is a frickin Monster! Love him. Alsp, I am not a Yuppie, I'm a Buddie ( Broke Urban Dude)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
JB is a frickin Monster! Love him. Alsp, I am not a Yuppie, I'm a Buddie ( Broke Urban Dude)
You should coin that term!

I am a broke rural dude these days (come up with name for that!) but in the past I did the yuppie thing with khakis, chardonnay, cigars, certain car, grad school, liberal blue dog politics and a certain infatuation with Apple when it wasn't cool. The only place I didn't go with fellow yuppies (and they are not all scum) was in musical tastes. Here I am at mansion in hills at alumni mixer and everybody is all excited about John Tesh and his tour. Yuck, not me. (But for fans of Tesh, yes he can play, but it's just not my cup of latte).

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-15-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode