"The 7-String Stigma" - ...why??? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 08:50 AM

"The 7-String Stigma"

I'm sure it's some where online but I have the Austrailian(I hope I spelled that right) 2cd Import of *Follow the Leader album and it's on the 2nd disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 09:51 AM

"The 7-String Stigma"

The UV777PBK is an incredible guitar. *I tend you use that guitar at all band practices. *We have yet to play live, but I think it will be the main stage guitar. *I still love my VWH.
Out,
Gregory * * *
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 AM

Re: "The 7-String Stigma" - ...why???

I resurrected this thread for historical purposes. After 18 years, I think some of the questions can be answered. The “stigma” is still present but less powerful. Also, our typing ability has regressed.

It is strange to know how much the world has changed in 18 years and the only thing I can say is the stigma is less powerful towards the addition of a string to a plucked string instrument. It is funny how time works.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 AM

A 7-string guitar doesn't seem so out of the ordinary anymore. Now that there are even more options out there, like 8 string guitars (and more), multi-scale, baritone, etc... Heck, even an old-school rocker like me has one! Not that I can play it very well at all, but I have one just in case...
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Damn, the rarely seen, highly elusive pre-9/11 necrobump. L-I-M-P Bizkit is right here! (in the tags lol). Cool to look back in time at some good 'ol UV worship, seems like even 10 years after they came out, 7-strings were slow to get off the ground (and are still rising up through obscurity).

Also, not sure about our typing ability regressing. *What's with all the asterisks? * * *
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Damn, the rarely seen, highly elusive pre-9/11 necrobump. L-I-M-P Bizkit is right here! (in the tags lol). Cool to look back in time at some good 'ol UV worship, seems like even 10 years after they came out, 7-strings were slow to get off the ground (and are still rising up through obscurity).

Also, not sure about our typing ability regressing. *What's with all the asterisks? * * *
I loved that song. Whatever happened to the Bizkit?
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 AM

I just thought it would be interesting to read how people thought about 7-string guitars almost 20 years ago compared to today. ** * * *** * * **
peromucho7 and Leviathus like this.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I loved that song. Whatever happened to the Bizkit?

Who didn't love that song??!! \m/
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 AM

In all seriousness, the number of sincere conversations between guitarists about “why” they play instrument they do is really difficult, especially if you play something “different.”

In high school I had an RG3120 (Red). It was a good guitar but I felt it was incomplete and had more to offer in terms of lower pitch. (This is mostly hindsight.) One day, I was playing the guitar with “The Riddle” in the background. This was not the first time I had heard “The Riddle” but three notes stood out for the first time, the low B, C#, and D# played on the 7th string. I wanted to play those notes because they sounded “right.” I bought a used UV777Bk off eBay and was happy.

To answer the question of “why isn’t this catching on (asked back in 2001},” I would respond by saying the 7th string adds nothing to open position chords. There is no chord a beginner could just strum across all 7-strings and have it sound good. A beginning student would learn to play the guitar while avoiding the 7th string the majority of the time. Older players my not have been interested in trying something new and I do not blame for that. I just wanted the electric guitar plus those 5 extra low notes because they sounded really good! They completed the guitar! I assume most guitarists do not hear things the same way I do. The lack of sincere conversations about the matter do not allow it.

I think we have learned a lot, but it is diffuse to communicate without people getting defensive, hence the stigma.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
This was not the first time I had heard “The Riddle” but three notes stood out for the first time, the low B, C#, and D# played on the 7th string.
I think "The Riddle" might be my fav Vai track of all time, wish he woulda busted out Bruno just to hit that lick instead of having Dave do it on the P&W tour.

Speaking of Bruno, I think what really got me drooling over UV's was first seeing it in the FTLOG music video. It looked like an instrument that would require some esoteric knowledge to be able to wield, and Steve did a great demonstration of that on those snowy mountains with all the worshippers and bombs going off, haha.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I think "The Riddle" might be my fav Vai track of all time, wish he woulda busted out Bruno just to hit that lick instead of having Dave do it on the P&W tour.

Speaking of Bruno, I think what really got me drooling over UV's was first seeing it in the FTLOG music video. It looked like an instrument that would require some esoteric knowledge to be able to wield, and Steve did a great demonstration of that on those snowy mountains with all the worshippers and bombs going off, haha.
"The Riddle" is the source!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 AM

I can play devils advocate to why a stigma exists and is deserved.
- The only strong examples of 7-string guitars being played all fall under the title of “metal.” (Rock is considered metal now, according to metadata.)
- The other examples of 7-string guitars being played fall under the title of jazz. 7-string guitars carry no stigma in the jazz world to the point Benedetto Guitars offers every model they build as a 6 and 7-string. Metal players are not playing Benedettos.

A person needs to see their instrument (7-string guitar) being used in a variety of musical styles in order branch out. The inverse is also true. If Brad Paisley played a 7-string Tele for 1 song........the mighty foundations of country music might crack. A baritone guitar would be fine though....

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 04-05-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Erasure
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:47 AM

I essentially play 7-string guitars because the low-B is here when you need/want it and I like the narrower string spacing
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 AM

Some of the stigma may just be the sheer difficulty of getting used to the extra string. I mean, I bought one and really want to use it, but its teaching an old dog a new trick and I just can't seem to get used to it. The wider fretboard is a bit awkward, plus the fact that I base EVERYTHING on the fretboard off that low E.

Maybe I need to lock up all my 6 string guitars and tell my wife to hide the key! If I played it for a month exclusively maybe it would take hold?

Most of the 7-string music I listen to is not really metal... More progressive stuff I guess? This is a good example... and the 7-string is used for more than the derpy intro and the cool breakdown in this track off his new album (great album, btw):

pteropid likes this.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Some of the stigma may just be the sheer difficulty of getting used to the extra string. I mean, I bought one and really want to use it, but its teaching an old dog a new trick and I just can't seem to get used to it. The wider fretboard is a bit awkward, plus the fact that I base EVERYTHING on the fretboard off that low E.

Maybe I need to lock up all my 6 string guitars and tell my wife to hide the key! If I played it for a month exclusively maybe it would take hold?
It is different enough that it takes time to adjust. Wrong notes will be played, which is normal. (7-string or not!) What doesn’t work is switching from a really nice 6 string guitar(s) to the cheapest used 7-string you can find. (I’m not saying you did this.) A good guitar beats a bad guitar every time, regardless of the number of strings. This is why the JEM/UV pair worked well and made sense. Ibanez has been really good about releasing parallel models in 6/7 string versions. With that said, a 7-string is still different enough that it takes time to adjust. One month would be enough time to know if you like 7-strings or not.
pteropid likes this.

Tags
ernie ball , guitar players , john petrucci , limp bizkit , steve vai , string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode