"The 7-String Stigma" - ...why??? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Re: "The 7-String Stigma" - ...why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
What doesnít work is switching from a really nice 6 string guitar(s) to the cheapest used 7-string you can find. (Iím not saying you did this.) A good guitar beats a bad guitar every time, regardless of the number of strings.

LOL! Pretty much hit the nail on the head there, dude! Well... In my own penny-pinching defense, I didn't want to shell out a bunch of money on what I considered an experimental guitar adventure. I ended up buying "cheaper" Ibanez RG421pb with some wear on the top. Lots of research, pricing on the used market, etc... Lead me to this video, which pretty much sold me on the guitar in the first 1:00, and then sealed the deal at the 3:21 mark... What can I say, I'm only a mortal human and susceptible to the wily ways of marketing, knowing full well that Lee can make any guitar sound good.

FireEagle is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
LOL! Pretty much hit the nail on the head there, dude! Well... In my own penny-pinching defense, I didn't want to shell out a bunch of money on what I considered an experimental guitar adventure. I ended up buying "cheaper" Ibanez RG421pb with some wear on the top. Lots of research, pricing on the used market, etc... Lead me to this video, which pretty much sold me on the guitar in the first 1:00, and then sealed the deal at the 3:21 mark... What can I say, I'm only a mortal human and susceptible to the wily ways of marketing, knowing full well that Lee can make any guitar sound good.
Don't worry, you are not the first. The thing is, you already know how to play the 6-string guitar. All that knowledge still counts when playing a 7-string guitar. If you buy a good 7-string guitar you are also buying a good 6-string guitar. The 7th string can be figured out over time. Additionally, the concept of upgrading is removed which saves money in the long run...and probably the short run.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:33 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Some of the stigma may just be the sheer difficulty of getting used to the extra string. I mean, I bought one and really want to use it, but its teaching an old dog a new trick and I just can't seem to get used to it. The wider fretboard is a bit awkward, plus the fact that I base EVERYTHING on the fretboard off that low E.

OMG you have so described my position. I've been on and off with 7-strings since 1991, I have a love-hate relationship with my Universe. I wound up getting the trem locked so I can switch between low-A tuning or F# on the G. I think I'm finding the low-A a more natural approach as I also base my positioning on the low string. One funny thing I notice is that my right hand is often on the wrong string compared to my left hand, Doh!. The challenge of just trying to get it to sound remotely OK is enough for me not to have sold the guitar. It's only been nearly 30 years, why stop trying now. HA HA HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
It is different enough that it takes time to adjust. Wrong notes will be played, which is normal. (7-string or not!) What doesnít work is switching from a really nice 6 string guitar(s) to the cheapest used 7-string you can find. (Iím not saying you did this.) A good guitar beats a bad guitar every time, regardless of the number of strings. This is why the JEM/UV pair worked well and made sense. Ibanez has been really good about releasing parallel models in 6/7 string versions. With that said, a 7-string is still different enough that it takes time to adjust. One month would be enough time to know if you like 7-strings or not.

It certainly does take time to get used to , I still don't know whether I like 7-strings or not. Last week I thought it was awesome, this week I want to put it on ebay. I'd say by this afternoon I'll love it again. My Universe is a harsh mistress.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old Today, 06:57 AM

I play art-rock style sonic youth and others. And I never got criticised using a 7. You can just do so many things on a 7 that are impossible with a 6. To me 7's are superior instruments.

Tags
ernie ball , guitar players , john petrucci , limp bizkit , steve vai , string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode