"Flo" Copy - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
"Flo" Copy

I'm building a copy of Steve's "Flo" (the 7VWH and 555 neck). I already have the body and the neck (just replaced the rosewood fingerboard for ebony, though), Evolution bridge and JEM single-coil.

Where can I find the sustainer pickup?
What hardware color do you suggest? I don't like gold very much and I was thinking about another color. Cosmo-black or silver, perhaps? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 09:09 PM

"Flo" Copy

http://www.fernandesguitars.com

Order a catalogue from this site or contact someone at Fernandes for more information. *They have kits that come with the Sustainer pickup, the sustainer level knob, the toggles, and a "high-output humbucker" created by Fernandes, although I'm almost 100% sure you can use your own high-output humbucker (the Evo should do the trick). *
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 10:37 PM

"Flo" Copy

Good luck with the fret modifications... could be pretty tricky!

Gabe
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 11:22 PM

"Flo" Copy

You can also get a sustainer unit from the people that originally developed it. http://www.sustainiac.com

The Sustainiac Stealth is less expensive than the Fernandes unit, is available in white, black or 7-string versions, and can be used with your existing pickups. It's also more advanced than the Fernandes unit (which is based on an older Sustainiac design) so likely performs better. Sustainiac also prefers using push-pull pots instead of mini-switches for a cleaner look.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

"Flo" Copy

Quote:
Quote: from Gabe Nickelson on 12:37 am on April 26, 2001
Good luck with the fret modifications... could be pretty tricky!

Gabe
Oh, yes... I almost forgot about this. Anyone here has a close up picture of this modification?

Thanks!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 10:41 PM

Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl....oh man...women...women...women...
"Flo" Copy

www.earvana.com (I believe that's the proper name) They make the exact mod.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

"Flo" Copy

I don't think this is the exact mod. In my opinion, Steve has a Fretwave system in his guitar (just like Frank Gambale's Yamaha signature model).

But I'm just guessing here... no accurate info about it yet.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

"Flo" Copy

OK... my project is a little slow (still paying my Dan-Echo...hehe! :biggrin: ), but some news.

- I have re-replaced the fingerboard. It's a rosewood one, again. I think ebony is too bright sounding for me.

- I have ordered a chrome Gotoh double-locking tremolo and tuners. I couldn't find a Lo-Pro Edge for sale here and this one has almost the same quality (it's better than the Edge, in my opinion).

- I have ordered a Fretwave system for my guitar. It's very good and I think it's this system Steve has in his guitar.

Any comments are welcome!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:02 PM

"Flo" Copy

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=392

Vai's got these on Flo now. *I can't remember where, but someone showed a review on this forum, with a pic of Flo.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:46 PM

"Flo" Copy

can you do this w/o replacing pickups?

thinking of getting this for a strat or uv.

i obviously know very little about this. would getting an ebow be better. Im confused.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:59 PM

Reviews: 2
"Flo" Copy

The pic of Vai is on the music yo site.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

"Flo" Copy

Oh, while I'm busy in my new project, I'd like to know what are the differences between Lo-TRS II studs and other tremolo's studs (Lo-Pro Edge, Edge, Gotoh, OFR, etc)? In which way they may influence the tone, playability or performance of the guitar?

Thanks!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:10 AM

"Flo" Copy

what is the fret modifacation? I don't see a diff here....
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:27 PM

"Flo" Copy

Quote:
Quote: from carlos seo on 6:58 pm on May 16, 2001
Oh, while I'm busy in my new project, I'd like to know what are the differences between Lo-TRS II studs and other tremolo's studs (Lo-Pro Edge, Edge, Gotoh, OFR, etc)? In which way they may influence the tone, playability or performance of the guitar?

Thanks!
Well first of all you can see the difference between the Edge/Edge Lo-Pro on the Left Verse's the TRS on the Right. Most noticable is thickness and thread size.....

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

"Flo" Copy

After a long time, another update.

The Gotoh tremolo is now installed and it performs as well as a Lo-Pro.

Next step, pickup replacement. I have tried the Sustainer, but it isn't that great. After trying many different ones, I think I'll get The Breeds, for both neck and bridge positions.

Does anyone know where I can find them online?

Tags
bridge position , direct mounted pickups , evolution bridge , frank gambale , locking tremolo , mounted pickups , pro edge , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode