"Jem Series" 2002 Ibanez Catalog - They know you're here.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

"Jem Series" 2002 Ibanez Catalog - They know you're here....

I didn't see that anyone had mentioned this, but it is kind of noteworthy as it refers to a lot of us here on Jemsite:

From the Ibanez 2002 catalog:
"Thanks to a loyal legion of dedicated Steve Vai/JEM fans (an amazing number of whom are impressive guitarists in their own right) each JEM guitar becomes an almost instant collector's item. *Why "almost?" *Because Steve Vai and Ibanez designed his gutars to be so playable and capable of such a wide range of tones that they simply can't be left in the case."

I like to think that they're talking about "us" in this catalog blurb.

BTW I am actually starting to like the new blue - more and more every time I look at the catalog.

One more thing, they are also listing the "Prestige" moniker by the description of the Jem neck - don't know if that means anything to anyone, but it's the first time I'd seen these necks referred to by this name.

(Edited by kirk at 9:02 am on April 4, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 AM

"Jem Series" 2002 Ibanez Catalog

I saw that little blurb too and instantly thought of Jemsite

I played one of the new JEMs last night when I picked up my RGT3120 (as well as one of the new JS2000s), and the finish definitely does grow on you. *It's so subtle that you can't really appreciate it unless you've got one in your hands. *Cool guitars, but I think I'll wait until they start hitting the secondary market before I even consider getting one.

I think that the Prestige neck simply means that the neck undergoes the extra few hand-finishing steps that the JS and Prestige model necks get. *It's definitely a nice, smooth feeling neck. *
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:03 AM

Haven't seen the catalog yet, but it is nice to see that Ibanez recognizes all the JEM fans. I give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lame:
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 06:17 AM

I asked about the "Prestige" comment before, and there is NO CHANGE in the process from what it was before, they're simply acknowledging the fact that JEMs are better than, say, RGs. *:biggrin:
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 01:25 PM

Interesting, but then -- what do they do to a guitar to consider it a PRESTIGE? Only hand finishing on the neck? It seems like no one knows this exactly. I mean, Ibanez sure charges a bit more for the PRESTIGE guitars, not just the signature models...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I think there are significant differences in the Prestige models besides the finishing of the necks - you're taking about "upgraded" (using that term lightly) woods in the bodies, fingerboards and tops, different hardware (finishes on hardware more specifically) usually non-Ibanez pickups that are commonly direct mounted.

But we're talking about the necks here aren't we? *I just thought it was unusual to see the Prestige tag on a "signature" (there's another heavily debated moniker) guitar.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 04:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

time to add "prestige neck" to the FAQ.

as discussed before, the "prestige" logo shown in the cats is a marketing designation of a process that has been done to the signature model necks since they were first made. With the various models now sold, and signature axe pricing, labeling the japanese signature model necks as "prestige" makes absolute sense to me
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 05:05 PM

dear Ibanez,
since you know we're there, i got a question for you:

...put out a new 540PII!!!!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 05:47 PM

Glen, that makes sense! However, I knew that much already. The only thing I want to know (which was my question in the first place) is what these exact "6 extra steps" are. Ibanez only says that and no more. So I'm curious as to what the difference will be between, say a SC620 and teh SC1620 Prestige model. Or the Prestige RG. Or the Prestige S. Ok, so it's something done to the necks -- but what? Do feel silkier? Are they multi-radiused? Do they deep fry them in batter? Or are we all swayed by the hype, citing "Prestige is better" as our mantra without realising that we don't even know why?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 5

yup. *As I understood it, "Prestige" necks receive extra attention from the crew. *Aren't Prestige Ibanez models simply a subset of the J-Custom line? *Since the sig models are made in the same place, it makes sense that they would be classified "Prestige" too.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 06:09 PM

well, if they put a list price of nearly $2400, at the very least it should be a prestige neck......
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Shouldn't it be a J-Custom neck? *
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 08:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
babahi on 5:47 pm on April 6, 2002
Glen, that makes sense! However, I knew that much already. The only thing I want to know (which was my question in the first place) is what these exact "6 extra steps" are. Ibanez only says that and no more. So I'm curious as to what the difference will be between, say a SC620 and teh SC1620 Prestige model. Or the Prestige RG. Or the Prestige S. Ok, so it's something done to the necks -- but what? Do feel silkier? Are they multi-radiused? Do they deep fry them in batter? Or are we all swayed by the hype, citing "Prestige is better" as our mantra without realising that we don't even know why?
what jem7vwh said

Prestige is *not* hype.

Ibanez has not outlined what the steps are, but with the Prestige neck you can deduce the extra finishing touches, sanding/finishing the rear, tweaking the frets, etc. They are not multi-radiused (which would be absurd IMHO anyways) unless specified for a certain model (ie. JS1000 line). The difference between a 620 and 1620 should be *very* obvious and if it's not then get the 620 and pocket the spare change.

See the FAQ (last entry) for my outline of Prestige. Ibanez has been using the Prestige label since '96 with the USRG30s and when those were discontinued, simply shifted the "prestige" label to the j-custom for sales in the domestic japanese marketplace. Later on reintroducing "Prestige" guitars in the USA (import marketplace). It's very obvious that Ibanez is also using "Prestige" to distinuguish the models which get extra TLC, which is very smart IMHO... glen
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 09:39 PM

Reviews: 5

yup. *JEM's and J-Customs and their early USA Custom brothers and sisters have nicer necks IMHO. *If you ever get a chance to A/B them, grab the highest model RG (non Prestige) you can find, then grab a JEM or a J-Custom. *You'll notice a difference.

The first thing I always notice is the Quality Control. *No one's perfect, and you'll come across a bum JEM or J-Custom every once in a while, but on the whole- a JEM7VWH neck is a JEM7VWH neck. *There's a certain consistency that is sometimes lacking in the RG models. *A perfect example is this RG-450 I have. *I love it's neck. *It's as close as you can get to a JEM7VWH neck at under $300.00. *However, I've never found another one that plays like it. *On the other hand, pretty much every JEM7VWH plays similar. *Wide, fast, and rounded. *Not as thick as the original 777 necks, but not as "flat" on the back as Wizard neck. *That's the difference.

Of course, with bona-fide Prestige models (ie. RG3120 on up) you'll get the special Super Wizard neck with the extra volute work and all the fun stuff.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 10:13 PM
deleted username

[quote] jemsite on 8:58 pm on April 6, 2002
Quote:
Prestige is *not* hype.
But the J-Customs are?
Dude...make up your mind.

Tags
bubinga neck , custom models , ibanez dealer , ibanez models , ibanez pickups , jem neck , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prestige necks , steve vai , super wizard neck , swamp ash , texas prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode