$1500 to spend... but what to get? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

$1500 to spend... but what to get?

ive had my acoustic for 2 years now, and i can play a lot of stuff pretty well. my budget on a new guitar (plus an amp) is around $1500, and it can bend a little. I would like a guitar that is good all around (alternative, rock, hard rock, metal, punk... that kind of stuff), and an amp that will support that. right now, i'm looking at a JEM, but id like some other ideas too. any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 11:23 PM

You can get some good equipment with the money you have to spend. I would probably opt for a Jem 7DBK or a Prestige RG. Only problem there is......you wouldnt have a whole lot left for your amp Trust me on the DBK though, it will be worth it!! The guitar plays great and is very versatile.

Now, if you want an Ibanez guitar and enough money left for a good amp (without going over 1500-1600) You might be looking at the cheaper line of RG's. The Jems will eat up just about all of the cash you have to spend.........unless you buy used that is.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 5
I'd be the last one to dissuade you from buying a JEM but, considering your budget, I think you might want to consider a cheaper model right now.

If you spend $900 on a DBK (and that's a damn good price), that only leaves you $600 for an amp. It's been my experience that a good amp will make an average guitar sound amazing, but a crappy amp will ruin even the sweetest JEM tone.

My advice, find a used RG570 for $200-300 and spend the rest on a great amp. Then, later you can upgrade your guitar without sacraficing tone in the long run.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 12:06 AM

Well dude, as a guy whos bought almost every type, brand, model of guitar(I'm gettin real close to this actually being true!!!) I LOVE THE IBANEZ RGT PRESTIGE over anything else.

but here are my recommendations...
Jem7vwh
Jemdbk - if you can handle the small neck
UV - newest one...
rgt3120 - buy this, don't hesitate!

I'm always honest.. Fender Strat guitars are really great for the money IMO... but for a few 100 more you can get a Jem or RGT and these are superb instruments. I really love the JS1000 also, but me being honest again, I'm not sure its the guitar for everyone.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
My advice, find a used RG570 for $200-300 and spend the rest on a great amp. Then, later you can upgrade your guitar without sacraficing tone in the long run.
Wow. Now, I know you've been here a long time and are very smart, but this seems to be just terrible advice. Someone comes up to you with $1500 to spend and you send him away with some soulless cookie-cutter RG? Where's that :loco: emoticon when you need it?

But seriously, how often is he going to crave the feel of this generic plank so much that he just has to pick it up and play? Can he form that bond of adoration which coaxes the owner away from beer and football and into an extra three hours' practice? I think if your guitar doesn't play beautifully and look seductive, you don't play it. Leaving you with a $1200 Boogie that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I say a $800-900 used Jem and a $600-700 combo is an infinitely better balance of those resources.

But then I've always been on the guitar side. For years I ran a whole series of Jems, Sabers and such through a simple 2x12 Marshall and was exquisitely happy with the results. I mean, if I was that guy, I'd buy a used 90HAM and play it unplugged for a month until the next paycheck brought me an amp of some kind.

Besides, guitars are so curvy and amps are so... not. :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 01:18 AM

Looks like I'm not going to be the only heretic here....

For your first electric I think you really need to go generic. As much as I hate to say it I'd suggest staying away from an Ibanez altogether. Alot of guitarists get soemthing like a Fender Strat as their first guitar, play it, realize what it is they really want out of a guitar, and then head in that direction. It may be the bane of your existence for awhile but it's versatile enough to handle almost everything reasonably and you'll find what direction you want to head in. A reasonable used American Strat can be had for 5 bills leaving you with a grand for a really nice combo amp.

I'm really of the belief that your first guitar shouldn't be an investment but it should be decent enough to handle most sounds and you really go for a much more specialized guitar from there.

Call me funny but the last guitar I'd tote to an open-mic on blues night would be my Universe. It's a great guitar but it just doesn't have that blues sound to it. For that I have my Telecaster and my Clapton Strat.

Your kind of at a disadvantage posting here. I'm probably going to get jumped all over for my suggestions but I kind of expect it. Folks here are zealots about Ibanez.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 05:13 AM

I'd say the following:

Get the best guitar you possibly can, and then get a good second hand valve amp (shouldn't be too expensive to get one) and a reasonable effects board. The guitar is going to make you want to play, and you know you'll have soomething good in your hands. It should make you want to play and should feel comfortable. You can slowly upgrade your amp as time goes on, but chances are that you'll be much more appreciative of a quality instrument than of a quality amp to start with. Slowly move up in the world amp/effect wise. Never buy a guitar you're not 100% happy with and sure about.

That's my take on it,...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shape
Quote:
Wow. Now, I know you've been here a long time and are very smart, but this seems to be just terrible advice. Someone comes up to you with $1500 to spend and you send him away with some soulless cookie-cutter RG? Where's that :loco: emoticon when you need it?

But seriously, how often is he going to crave the feel of this generic plank so much that he just has to pick it up and play? Can he form that bond of adoration which coaxes the owner away from beer and football and into an extra three hours' practice? I think if your guitar doesn't play beautifully and look seductive, you don't play it. Leaving you with a $1200 Boogie that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I say a $800-900 used Jem and a $600-700 combo is an infinitely better balance of those resources.

But then I've always been on the guitar side. For years I ran a whole series of Jems, Sabers and such through a simple 2x12 Marshall and was exquisitely happy with the results. I mean, if I was that guy, I'd buy a used 90HAM and play it unplugged for a month until the next paycheck brought me an amp of some kind.

Besides, guitars are so curvy and amps are so... not. :P
So to be inspired as a player, you have to own a guitar that costs more than $700?

I guess I should trade in my generic bland run-of-the-mill RG421 and SC420, sell my Line6, and buy a DBK to play unplugged.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
I'd be the last one to dissuade you from buying a JEM but, considering your budget, I think you might want to consider a cheaper model right now.
I'm afraid I'm leaning towards this sort of advice, but I might take a slightly different tack on it.

If you have $1500 for a complete rig, it's a lot different than having $1500 for a guitar. If you don't expect to be able to replace EITHER the guitar or the amp soon, I personally would try to split it about 50/50.or maybe even 40/40/20 with a little bit left over for stuff like a decent tuner, some decent cables, maybe even a pedal or two.

That would allow you to play in a band, not maybe much more than a few party/club gigs, but it'll get you started. As for specific equipment, I'd say try for a roughly 50watt amp a Second hand Boogie Nomad or DC 5 or a used Marshall should be just about within half your budget and should be versatile enough for all your chosen styles. If you want a bit more gain, buy a Boss DS1 or similar from the 20% for miscellaneous stuff.

Guitar wise. *IF* you do want an Ibanez I'd advise looking for a cheap old JEM if you can find/afford one (remember to stay away from the JEM555 that's a site guideline here, they're great guitars, but you can do better for the cash. I'd advise trying to get an RG700 series, or a newer RG500 series and then maybe you could look into some new pickups when you work out how you want to sound, and how your guitar interacts with your amp.

If you have a big enough disposable income to get another $1500 in say 3 months, I say go out and buy the flashiest JEM you can find and play unplugged till late summer. But the time frame as to when you can upgrade your gear is something that you really need to consider, and let us know before we can offer the best advice for you
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:09 AM

In addition, if the price is right, you can always try and get the best of both worlds. For instance, if you can get a good price on a JEM7DBK, you can probably pick up a 5150 combo for the remainder. Or, if you can wait, buy the guitar and the head now, and pick up the cabinet later.

All I was trying to say in my original post is to make sure you don't over pay for extra when you don't have the basic covered first. Now, if this $1500 is just temporary and there's more coming later, buy whatever you like.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

the best advice i can offer is not to buy a 5150 as your primary amp, regardless of the cost
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:19 AM

Glen? Why not? Aside from you not liking the sound- are there reliability issues with the 5150?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

these should be reliable... i never liked their sound, with total lack of tonal diversity. As you mature with an amp the 5150 is one you look to drop like a bad habit. Nevermind it's clumsily designed with knobs on the back with too much bulk for a portable combo ...glen
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:32 AM

I don't like 5150s either.. atleast not a lone amp, I don't get the versatility.

here ya go dude... go get a
Fender Strat American - 600.00 - get the Big Apple strat!!!
Peavey Bandit Amp - 400.00
Zoom GFX pedal - 150.00
tuner - 80.00
strap - 20.00

this still leaves you with enough for other things... especially if you can't get the grear for the exact prices I'm laying out(you'd be suprised at the price spread even between states).
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:34 AM

5150 isn't too bad, but getting something else after a while would be good. Second hand for amps is the way to go I think. If you don't like it after a while you'll at least get most of your investment back and won't have to worry too much about depreciation caused when you leave the shop with it...

Tags
abalone inlays , boogie nomad , bridge position , combo amp , delay pedal , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , distortion pedal , evo pickups , fender strat , ibanez rgt , les paul , lopro trem , marshall avt , mesa boogie , peavey bandit , tube amp , tube combo , tube tone , van halen , wah pedal , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how are 97 chevrolet 1500 z71 on gas 5.7
how to find money to spend

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode