The *NEW* JEM7VSBL - Continued from previous thread - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:12 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

[quote] jemsite
There is conflicting info Rosewood vs Ebony, but it's looking like Rosewood is winning out again. Steves was rosewood remember.

Thomas Nordegg, steve's guitar tech says its ebony....I have a tendancy to believe him....

Simon and Paul will back me up on this one...

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:54 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Quote:
Devo on 4:19 pm on Dec. 10, 2001

damit steve everything was sustainer but for three songs, If your gonna use it so much why dont you incorporate it into the new jem???? Its become one of your characteristic sounds and I think it would make a fine addition to the line up.
Steve-if you read my post above, Thomas told us that Ibanez might bring out a jem WITH a sustainer and hex pickup.

Cheers

Simon
post #33 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:55 PM

Reviews: 5
The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Quote:
Devo on 12:19 pm on Dec. 10, 2001
hey people,
all steves guitars but one had a DBK neck.

evo had a dbk neck with an all abalone vine inlay on ebony.

the bad horsie chrome guitar had a dbk neck with lights in rosewood fingerboard (the stage lights were off so it was really hard to call) *

flo II had a DBK neck with full vine like evo

flo had 555 neck inlay and all.
how does one classify a DBK neck? *Did it have the screw-head inlays? *Or were you talking about the bubinga stripe on the back? *Or was it the profile? *

Quote:
damit steve everything was sustainer but for three songs, If your gonna use it so much why dont you incorporate it into the new jem???? Its become one of your characteristic sounds and I think it would make a fine addition to the line up.
I think Steve has tried to incorporate the sustainer into a model. *He's hinted that he'd like to release one with all the bells and whistles ie(sustainer, buzz feiten mod). *But it would be very expensive and it's yet to be announced if Ibanez would be willing to satisfy this request. *Since none of their guitars currently incorporate the sustainer Ibanez would have to refit their manufacturing facilities to install them. *Then if they could not manufacture their own, they would have to license them from Sustaniac or Fernandes, neither of which would be cheap. *
post #34 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:07 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

A neck is specified by shape, size and other specs.
What they mean by 'dbk neck' is probably a Ultra Wizzard sized & shaped neck, with bubinga stripe (like Evo's new neck) but it seems to me it's easy for Ibanez to do another inlay on it (Tree of life) or use diffrent materials (ebony vs rosewood), diffrent headstock colours etc.
post #35 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:13 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Quote:
jem7vwh said....
Since none of their guitars currently incorporate the sustainer Ibanez would have to refit their manufacturing facilities to install them. *Then if they could not manufacture their own, they would have to license them from Sustaniac or Fernandes, neither of which would be cheap.

The precedent has been set though as the RG420GKBK incorporates a Roland GK-2 synth pickup

http://www.ibanez.com/rg/rg_specs/rg...g420gkbk.html#

lets see what happens....

Simon
post #36 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:11 PM

Reviews: 2
The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Although Steve's guitar tech said the posibility of a hex pickup and sustainer in a jem was there, unless Vai starts endorsing/using the hex pup I don't know but it might be just too over the top.

I personally wouldn't want the synth pup but others might.

So to stir things up if we have an all bells and whistles (The Ultimate) jem does that mean

(My take on the ultimate Jem)
It's a Swirl with more of Steves blood in there
Piezos
a sustainer
a hex pup
A vine that lights up.

Now that would be cool and ChiChing $$$$$$$$$$

On a serious note, theoretically speaking *if a new Jem had a sustainer in it would be a rear mounted. As that's easier for all the routing. And better for swirl potential
post #37 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:30 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Does anyone else think that debating this is a huge waste of time?

I wouldn't cry a tear if the moderators locked every thread started about a the new JEM until after NAMM 2001.

It's blue, with a white pickguard, white pickups and a blue vine on a dark board.

Anything more than that is pure speculation and a waste of bandwidth.

Until we read(the only way it can be substantiated) different, it is a moot point to debat what it has or should have.

J>:thumbsup:
post #38 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:37 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

I would say the full blown ultimate jem should have a more basic finish (at least not a swirl if that would increase the prize much) to keep the prize down, and make it a players guitar, not a collectors item... *Maybe two different super jems, one limited to 200, with a brutal swirl, and a prize around 4-5000$$$, and then a cheap(?!?!?!) players choice (for those who actually intend to play it)... *Maybe a new natural(rb style) jem with a cool (but cheap) random pattern...

That would certainly rule !!
post #39 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:39 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Quote:
Jimm VeuCasovic on 2:30 am on Dec. 11, 2001
Does anyone else think that debating this is a huge waste of time?

I wouldn't cry a tear if the moderators locked every thread started about a the new JEM until after NAMM 2001.

It's blue, with a white pickguard, white pickups and a blue vine on a dark board.

Anything more than that is pure speculation and a waste of bandwidth.

Until we read(the only way it can be substantiated) different, it is a moot point to debat what it has or should have.

J>:thumbsup:
Hey, there may not be so many other things to discuss right now.. the other jems are allready discussed a million times each... Anyways, it will all blow away soon... *after all, it is kinda boring... *But i think i would actually like it in person...
post #40 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:10 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

sorry chris,

I meant the profile shape and bubinga stripe, I was standing less than 2 feet away from the guy for the wole night and it was skinny wizard necks for those guitars I mentioned.

Went again tonight........................... no blue jem, (horrible AI flashback "please blue fairy")

Cheers simon and chris but ive read that before, I was just venting some anger cause I want a sustainer, also vai doesnt play any of his production guitars. *at least satch plays his chrome boys etc and petrucci played his jpms when he had em, Vai plays patchwork guitars that dont resemble their nearest production relatives.
post #41 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:38 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Maybe im just slow, but what is a 'hex' pickup?
post #42 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:52 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

afaik, that would be a midi pickup.

~A
post #43 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:53 PM

Reviews: 5
The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Quote:
Devo on 10:10 pm on Dec. 10, 2001
at least satch plays his chrome boys etc and petrucci played his jpms when he had em, Vai plays patchwork guitars that dont resemble their nearest production relatives.
Vai's main player, EVO was a standard JEM7VWH. *The only reason his guitars become patchwork is that he plays the hell out of them *EVO has a different neck because the original was broken when Steve tossed it his tech and it fell. *EVO has different colored hardware because when Steve wore out the original Lo Pro, he decided he wanted an Edge. *For the most part, what Steve plays is what you play. *It's not going to be exactly the same.

About the necks, Steve's been playing with the profile of the necks the last few years. *Having seen the original EVO neck many moons ago, I have to say it looked identical to mine at home. *Most of the reason his guitars look different is that they are the testing ground for what becomes next years models.

It could be worse, look at stock car racing. *At least most of what Vai plays is available to us at stores.
post #44 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:02 PM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Edge eh? So i'm hearing people switch to them. I really can't get too much out of one that I don't get out of the other.
post #45 of 310 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:44 AM

The *NEW* JEM- Part Deux

Oh how I wish they'd do a new Universe...

Guy

Tags
abalone inlays , abalone vine , alder body , basswood body , bfp neck , black pickguard , bubinga neck , buzz feiten , cavity cover , chrome boy , chrome hardware , chrome jem , coil pickup , control knobs , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom shop , dave weiner , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio paf pros , dna swirl , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , equipped guitar , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , gauge strings , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar shop , guitar tech , hoshino usa , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez jpm , ikebe gakki , jason becker , jem dbk , jem neck , jem neck profile , led inlays , local guitar shop , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , mahogany body , maple neck , mesa boogie , mike keneally , music store , neck bolts , neck inlay , neck shape , neck thru , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , production model , retaining bar , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , rosewood neck , scalloped frets , scratch plate , signature guitar , standard jem , steve vai , strap button , strat body , string retaining bar , trem arm , triple rectifier , truss rod , truss rod cover , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode