[NGD, sort of] Ibanez Universe 7BK to MC, Livewire Swirl - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

[NGD, sort of] Ibanez Universe 7BK to MC, Livewire Swirl

I haven't hung around here a lot these last few years but I'm still a JEM/Universe fan.
I always loved the P&W swirled Universe and always secretly wanted one but as everyone around me always HATED its look I never took the jump.
I've owned an ugly and beaten up UV7BK. I got it for 400 euros in 2003, the paint was in bad shape, the Ibanez logo had been erased and replaced with an ugly "custom" drawing, most of the fretboard had been "scaloped" and edges of the body and headstock had been sanded to simulate some kind of "binding".
It was really a pity to look at but it sounded and played like heaven. My favorite guitar.
Almost 2 years ago I decided to restore it to its original state as a friend of mine who's a part time luthier told me could he could swap the fretboard for a new one, paint it again in its original black and put a news green "Ibanez Universe"decal that he could drown under a new coating, everything for a really decent price (it's nice to have friends).
When he told me he could put the disappearing pyramids inlay on the fretboard I thought "What the hell! I need that guitar swirled into a P&W Universe!"
After looking for someone who could do a good swirl, I found Alan from Out of this Swirled. His swirls were perfect for my taste and he even lived in Europe, making things easier for me!
But Alan told me he had stopped swirling guitars for health reasons...
Then I found Livewire, and some of Michael's swirls blew me away!
After a nice contact he told me he could swirl my guitar with a swirl looking like one particular on his site...
Sweet!
After having been quoted 4 weeks for the whole job, I happily sent my guitar body to Florida for a dipp inside a bucket of water and paint.
It took 49 weeks to get my guitar body back... I think you all heard what poor Michael went through.
I wasn't in any kind of rush, my luthier friend working on my neck only when he had spare time it took almost as much time to complete the neck.
Today, my friend finally put the guitar back together and after more than a year of work all around the world I finally have a bitchin' Ibanez Universe MC!

To the pics :
I don't have much pics of my Universe in its previous state as it was so ugly and beaten up I never took pictures of it :

The guitar pretty much layed around at my work for 10 years and I put those a "Not for production" stickers between the pickups as it couldn't stay tuned at wall (wobbly stud insert, fixed by my friend before I sent the body for painting)

A better view of the original paint. Too bad I can't find a pic of the fretboard.

And now... Voilà!

The mother of my children is smiling on the pic but she thinks my guitar is even uglier now...
I think the guitar looks fantastic! I'm reaallly happy I went with Livewire for the paint job.
It's not perfect, there a few things here and there (the paint took a few chip here and there before being coated).
The main thing is the routing on the guitar... I never tought of it but the real UVMC are back routed whereas mine is front routed... I should have asked my friend to fill the front routing and rout it back.
I'll work on a fix for that in the coming weeks, I hope it will work.
The 3 white stickers on the pickup were put for a quick reminder of which one of them was what and which way was up or down (now I know they can be turned around and it doesn't change anything). I was supposed to remove them but I think I'll just let them, like an homage to the "Not for production" stickers those stayed on my guitar for 8 years.
I've read a few things here and there about Michael's swirls being not as neon or consistant in real life than on his pictures. Believe me, those colors are LOUD and his swirls looks more consistent colorwise than most UV REMC I've seen in pictures. In fact, I had to ask him if he could do a swirl with a bit of fading in the colors, as it adds character to the look to me (some of his swirls were too neat, too perfect for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: [NGD, sort of] Ibanez Universe 7BK to MC, Livewire Swirl

That's really very nice man, I like the look of the route behind the guard. I would leave it as is.

I think Michael uses the same paints for his swirls that Alan did. They're very vibrant colors. The problem came from some of his pictures being over tweaked to make the colors appear even more vibrant than they already were........ probably not a wise choice for something so simple. His swirls are great and the colors are good enough to stand on their own.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 PM

That looks fantastic. Congrats! It's making me excited to get my guitar back that Michael is working on.

I've spoken with him several times and while he can do different styles, he has his own style that he prefers. I asked him to do a more splotchy swirl that is more ATD-style (as Michael calls it). Like you, I wasn't looking for the totally solid bands of color.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Reviews: 13

Beautiful, I loved it !!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Love it. Breathed life back into a very tired looking guitar so it can live on :-)

The swirl is really cool, great definition. I like more swirls and chaos personally but not at the expense of definition. Have to admire the vibrancy of the colours.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Nice!
I'd just leave the guitar the way it is and not worry about the front route vs rear route thing.
That looks like a better swirl than many of the real UVs I've seen in person.
I own an ATD and a Herc UVMC and I like yours better.

I just got two swirled bodies and a neck back from Micheal on Friday.
I have one of them almost put together.
I'll be posting pics soon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Nice one!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:03 AM

Can anyone send me Michael's contact details?

I also have a black Universe, which I would love to have swirled in these colours and the dots changed to pyramids.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Do not do that. Search first for Livewire scums. I am not sure Michael is bad person but he seems to be very good at receiving money and parts and very bad at sending finished jobs.
peromucho7 is online  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Check out LiQuiD Fx, there is a thread under Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Can anyone send me Michael's contact details?

I also have a black Universe, which I would love to have swirled in these colours and the dots changed to pyramids.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Hopefully some jail in Florida. Most likely living at his mother's house and selling **** for meth.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Hey, out of curiosity, who did the inlay replacement on your neck? I have an OOTS PAW body I need a neck for, and have a silver dot neck, so if there's someone reliable in france that can do it I'm interested!"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 AM

Sims UK is the only place over here that does decent work. http://www.sims.guitars/

Tags
swirl 7 string

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode