0 Jem 7V major tuning problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

2007 Jem 7V major tuning problems

I got a like new 2007 JEM 7v and it has major tuning problems if I dare touch the floating tremolo.
So I see it's an Ibanez, not Floyd Rose - just assumed it would be a Floyd and I think I read somewhere that the Ibanez tremolo can be problematic.

Is there anything I can do to correct this?
I was wondering if I could install an Floyd Rose on it?

If that's not possible without a major surgery what options do I have? Sell it?

I love playing the thing and actually like playing it better than my 97 with the Ebony fingerboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Re: 0 Jem 7V major tuning problems

It seems there are some misconceptions here, or lack of information about what you bought! The Ibanez Tremolo's are highly rated and are just as good as the Original Floyd Roses, if not better in the eyes of many. All Ibanez guitars come with Ibanez tremolos and all Ibanez Jems come with versions of the Edge, the Japanese guitars having either the Original Edge, the Lo Pro Edge or the Edge Pro. But beyond that you have to elaborate a lot more for anyone to be able to help you, there are a whole bunch of possible things that could be wrong.

1. How old are the strings? Tried new ones, and if so are they installed properly and stable/balanced in tune?
2. Is it more of a problem when pulling up or pushing down?
3. Does it go sharp or flat? Does that differ depending on up/down?
4. Have you tightened the nut bolts enough? (don't overdo it, but seen this issue many times)
5. Do the tremolo springs show any sign of fatigue? Have you tried swapping them out?
6. Do the knife edges on the tremolo show any signs of excessive wear or deformation? Can you take pictures?
7. Are the tremolo posts secure in the body? Is there any movement or signs of instability?

The brand of tremolo has very little to do with any of this, you can have even a cheaply branded tremolo working fine with proper setup/maintainence. Yours is not a cheap tremolo, it's an Edge Pro, which is a very high quality trem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Firstly, don't worry, there are many things that can cause tuning woes, most easily fixed by a decent setup.

Usual causes are undertightened nut pads or loose saddles, that's a place to start. Also check the nut itself is snug - one of my guitars occasionally has bother with this (usually detectable by "cracking" noises coming from the nut during whammy use - careful not to overtighten anything however!).

Of course we are assuming that the trem is correctly set up - are the knife edges OK, posts secure, is the trem level?

Rich Harris has a number of excellent articles on Ibanez Rules regarding setting up locking trems (and the rest of the guitar for that matter) and general guides as to hunting causes of tuning stability. As I said most easily fixed with a bit of patience.

The Ibanez trems are pretty good, I don't regard them as inferior to the FR systems, at least equal IMO.

Good luck & let us know how you get on,

'87
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Reviews: 1

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a 1990 Jem777 DY that has been having tuning issues with the Edge and I'm completely out of ideas at this point. I've read a bunch of threads on there and I still can't figure it out. I'm thinking of just buying a new Edge Tremolo from Rich and moving on but my fear is it's not the tremolo.

Basically the problem I'm having is when I pull up the guitar goes sharp and when I push down it goes flat. I've had the guitar professionally set up twice in the past 6 months and the problem didn't go away. The last tech who has done a great job with my UV and PBK said it could be that the knife edge is a bit loose and moving, creating the change in pitch.

Here is a list of what I checked

1. String are new.
2. Everything has been tightened including the lock nut.
3. Posts have been tightened using the small screws inside.
4. To me the knife edges look good.

Here is a link to pictures of the Tremolo. It looks good to me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jem 777 Edge Tremolo by tzoranski | Photobucket
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

Did you replace the actual studs? get an inspected pair from Rich is my advice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Vendor

1. If you haven't lubed that's the first place any tuning instability starts. Chapstick.
2. If it is the guitar the first thing I would check after full maintenance has been done, is if the stud anchors are loose which would be extremely common on a 1990 JEM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:17 AM

I did replace the studs with a new pair I bought from Rich and they are tightened up using the small screws inside. I didn't lube it or try replacing the springs. Chapstick huh, I was going to use WD 40. As I said it was set up so I'm assuming a full Maintenance was done but that was at least 6 months ago. I can do something myself if you guys have any suggestions besides the lube and springs. Thanks again for your ideas.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Vendor

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Thanks Rich. I will go over these instructions soon and see if there is any change in the tuning issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode