.008 guage - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

.008 guage

Hey all,

Every guitar player I knew seemed to think .008 gauge was stupid to use or something, and over time I did switch to .009's. Maybe I was drinking their kool aid?? My jem7v is awesome and plays great but I was not 100% satisfied with it, so I put .008 ernie ball cobalts on it, and I am so pleased. The guitar seems to love them, and everything feels perfect. Of course a little tweak on the truss ,and had to unscrew a lil by the springs to compensate. I was in death metal bands when I used .008 gauge 20 years ago, and really don't know why I switched. I like a lot of music styles, so I have shifted and merged many styles over the years. My jem is the ultimate wanker guitar now, and even I can pull off some nice legato runs. So if you love your guitar, and something feels just a bit stiff, or whatever consider the .008's. I would say I have strong fingers and I'm still so comfy on these things!!

Warm Regards,
Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: .008 guage

Good for you Kev!!

That's why they make 'em in so many sizes. There's a "perfect fit" for everyone as long as we don't drink the kool-aid........

I told people I switched to an unheard of brand of strings....... you'd think I told them I was giving up Ibby's for strats......LOL
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 AM

I've tried 8's before. Helps if you have a light touch. That high E string is easy to break. Iirc, when I used 8's I tuned them down a half step.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
That's why they make 'em in so many sizes. There's a "perfect fit" for everyone as long as we don't drink the kool-aid........
That's what she said.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 AM

I take online lessons with Paul Gilbert and he uses .008s on the guitars he uses for doing lessons because its easier on his hands. When he plays live he said he goes back to 10's because he plays harder live. I play 10's but have thought about putting 9s on the guitar I do the most "practicing" on. BTW Billy Gibbons uses .007's!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I break tens every other week, I feel like if I went to 8s the sustainer wouldn't work good at all. Or would it be stronger, since there's less resistance and less strength needed to move them? Maybe I'll try them so I can see how many octaves I can bend before snapping the E
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrknthanez View Post
Hey all,

Every guitar player I knew seemed to think .008 gauge was stupid to use or something, and over time I did switch to .009's. Maybe I was drinking their kool aid?? My jem7v is awesome and plays great but I was not 100% satisfied with it, so I put .008 ernie ball cobalts on it, and I am so pleased. The guitar seems to love them, and everything feels perfect. Of course a little tweak on the truss ,and had to unscrew a lil by the springs to compensate. I was in death metal bands when I used .008 gauge 20 years ago, and really don't know why I switched. I like a lot of music styles, so I have shifted and merged many styles over the years. My jem is the ultimate wanker guitar now, and even I can pull off some nice legato runs. So if you love your guitar, and something feels just a bit stiff, or whatever consider the .008's. I would say I have strong fingers and I'm still so comfy on these things!!

Warm Regards,
Kev
i been using 008s for 14 years, as i gig regulary- guys at the music shop get a shock when i tell them i only change the whole set once every 2 years! haha
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrknthanez View Post
Every guitar player I knew seemed to think .008 gauge was stupid to use or something
Let they say what they want. I use .008's on my UV7BK, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I love the "loose" feel, and the huge bends you can do with minimal effort. Check out this Billy Gibbons interview, where he talks about his .007s (yes, he uses .007s!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTIBtolr9Y
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM

When I was a kid I dabbled with 8's for so long.

I don't think I'd be able to get the tone I like with 8's anymore though. A lot of the tone I like comes from the way someone attacks the strings, and if you attack 8's they go sharp every single time. You can hear it with the low strings especially. Hit a minor E chord hard and you'll hear a distinct "BOOooowwwwww" as it goes sharp before settling.

Doesn't Yngwie use 8's?

Lots of people have great results with 8's.

Tags
.008 , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode